Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And why would we really care that the French were defeated in that battle? That is completely meaningless to us --- France was our ally, why should we cheer the French being beaten?
France was who's ally? They were officially neutral but favored the South and used the distraction of the US Civil War to take Mexico. When the Civil War was over the threat of US action against them, and US support for Mexico's republicans, was a major factor in France's withdrawl from Mexico. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_...tion_in_Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:23 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
I'm not offended.

[shrug]

Old 05-09-2014, 06:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Please show examples where new anchors act like drunk Irishmen... or put on funny German accents for Oktoberfest.
I think the controversy is misplaced. Especially the original controversy - MSNBC - was pretty much making fun of the way AMERICANS celebrate Cinco De Mayo. And that is actually exactly how Americans celebrate Cinco De Mayo - including countless Americans of Mexican descent, white Americans, black Americans, etc. Cinco De Drinko would be a more appropriate name for it than its actual name.

In the end, Cinco De Mayo is not a Mexican holiday. It's an event in one town in Mexico where they celebrate beating the French (before the French came back and beat them and installed a French ruler).** It's basically an American holiday that is an excuse for drinking and eating tacos. It bears no resemblance to what occurs IN Mexico or Puebla. It is, frankly, like the way our St. Patrick's day celebrations bear no resemblance to what happens in Ireland.

It seems to mostly be the professional Mexican activist types and professional offense takers who seem to be upset about it. Most Mexicans (who in case you haven't noticed, if you have ever spent large amounts of time or have them in your family) aren't exactly PC themselves, or the "easily offended" types.

** incidentally, many Reconquista types forget the US support given to Mexico in ousting the French, who did not want to face a war with the USA.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I disagree. Irish are mocked for drinking all the time. The difference is that we don't get upset about it.

Here's a good one.

An Irishman, an American and a French Canadian walk into a bar. They each order a beer. As the beers are served, a fly drops into each one.

The American says, "Get out of my beer you dirty fly!" as he tosses the fly against the wall.

The French Canadian reacts, "Tabernac!" and he throws the fly to the floor.

The Irishman looks at the fly, points his finger and says, "Spit it out!!!"
Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i just treat people like people regardless of their heritage or nationality.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i disagree to a point. most people can laugh at themselves, and they can accept someone making jokes about their heritage, as long as that person is equal opportunity joker. if you go around making jokes just about one race, then you are just being insulting, but if you make jokes about every race, including your own, you are just funny. i believe as george carlin did, you can joke about anything, its all in how you phrase the joke.

I have German and Polish roots, so believe me... I know. And I have no issue telling Polish jokes myself.

How do you confuse a ******?

Stick him in a round room, and tell him to go stand in the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies