Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Here is yet another let's crap on poor people thread. conservatives never tire of crapping on poor people.

Those poor people to conservatives are immoral, lazy, greedy, dumb, moochers, criminal, and ruining this nation.
They say this every day all day.

conservatives generally are filled with hatred for a lot of other Americans and this thread will be prove it once again.
What??? Did you actually believe that Obama would legislate your prosperity? If you did, you're a fool. No one cares about you and your finance more than you. Government only knows how to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Right wingers simultaneously complain that Americans are too lazy and that the minimum wage is too high or it shouldn't exist at all. Low wages cause laziness. Back when I worked low-wage jobs (being lucky enough to have not have kids), I worked as little as possible because doubling my hours after rent was paid would get me almost nothing worthwhile. I was a lazy sh*t at all of my previous jobs. Now I work for myself making $25-$100 per hour and you bet I get out and hustle as often as I can.

You can talk up the values of hard work as its own reward but smart people know better. If you work not just to feel good about yourself but rather to get pleasurable things, full-timing it at $7.50 per hour is a complete waste. Increasing the minimum wage would make many people find seeking out productive employment is more worthwhile than welfare.

I consider this a VERY interesting question - to what extent do low wages "cause laziness"? On one hand, what we know about economics suggests that work effort rises and falls with wage levels, but on the other hand, the "need" to work varies inversely with wage levels. e.g. if you earn $40 per hour you don't "need" to work as many hours as if you warned $20/hr etc for $10/hr.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I consider this a VERY interesting question - to what extent do low wages "cause laziness"? On one hand, what we know about economics suggests that work effort rises and falls with wage levels, but on the other hand, the "need" to work varies inversely with wage levels. e.g. if you earn $40 per hour you don't "need" to work as many hours as if you warned $20/hr etc for $10/hr.
If you let the opportunity costs be poverty/charity/family support instead of starving. Sure these supports suck, I mean, who wants to eat at a Salvation army or live with mom and dad in the basement, but who want's to work 80 hrs. a week at a crappy job?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
If you let the opportunity costs be poverty/charity/family support instead of starving. Sure these supports suck, I mean, who wants to eat at a Salvation army or live with mom and dad in the basement, but who want's to work 80 hrs. a week at a crappy job?
How about having to work at a crappy job and then the government takes money from you to support the lazy people who don't want to work.

Look at your paycheck and notice how much the government takes. Imagine what you could do with half of the money they take. Oh well... you are paying someone to sit around.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Which raises yet another issue, viz 'quality of job'. The salient thing about most low-wage jobs is that they really suck worse that higher-paying jobs.

When people say that low-income people "don't want to work" they are conflating "don't want to work any job" with "want to work a job that doesn't suck but don't want to work a sucky job".

Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How much ya make and what are your bills per month? Where do you live?

*I'm determined to help someone in this thread

Maybe you could help me.

I'd like to be taller.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Which raises yet another issue, viz 'quality of job'. The salient thing about most low-wage jobs is that they really suck worse that higher-paying jobs.
Really? How would you know?

Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Really? How would you know?

Because I've worked a number of the most common low-wage jobs and have been in workplaces with attractive, higher-paying jobs. Do you think burger-flipping or cleaning toilets is a less sucky job than say pushing papers in an office?

Old 05-15-2014, 02:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How about having to work at a crappy job and then the government takes money from you to support the lazy people who don't want to work.

Look at your paycheck and notice how much the government takes. Imagine what you could do with half of the money they take. Oh well... you are paying someone to sit around.
Most of the money that you mention actually goes somewhere. Directly FICA and SSI is taken from your checks. Taxes pay for schools, highways, the army, the courts, the jails, etc. Without taxes, the criminals would be out on the street. Now do we really want that?

Quote:

When people say that low-income people "don't want to work" they are conflating "don't want to work any job" with "want to work a job that doesn't suck but don't want to work a sucky job".
Yeah, most are indeed the suck yet there is enough of a supply of worker to keep wages down.

Quote:
Because I've worked a number of the most common low-wage jobs and have been in workplaces with attractive, higher-paying jobs. Do you think burger-flipping or cleaning toilets is a less sucky job than say pushing papers in an office?
I've been only in low paying jobs and they can be horrible based on customers and even bosses and co-workers. The work isn't great but the people magnify the issues.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:34 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I consider myself pretty naturally lazy and have to force motivation techniques on myself. I had the good fortune of having a father that pushed me and taught me the value of hard work and you have to work for what you get. Then I had kids and felt the intense pressure to provide for them. Having the intellect to get a great degree was also huge.

I recently went through a 10 year run where I was in that top 1% (working 60-90 hrs/wk) so l have been able to store up investments to carry me through the next 30 years so now can relax and revert to my natural state... except I kind of got addicted to the high stress high income lifestyle and considering jumping back in.

Best of luck...you're not the only lone that had to battle your natural inclination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies