Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times

Advertisements

No thoughts about this? Seems to me that the county wants to encourage some sort of busing method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:14 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
His story is bogus. It's not even close to being believable.
"His story is bogus
And YOU know this, how? are you SO smart that YOU know what others experience is even though you are NOT there?

Oh, the superior attitude, I DON'T agree with what someone says so I have to call them a liar.

You might want to look up "White flight" before making a bigger fool of yourself.

MD has been wrought with it since the late 60's.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-16-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The ignorance of recent US history is both not surprising and sad at the same time.

I keep seeing threads like that ask why is it more segregated in the North as if history didn't happen.

Here is what happened, there is this thing called the Great Migration. It is when black people whose movements were always limited in where they could live, left the terrorism of the Jim Crow South to spread across the nation mostly for jobs in factories and steel mills and blah, blah.

Now when those black people arrived in those cities, the official policy of the US government and local city government were racially homogenous neighborhoods they enforced this in those cities.

It is a huge reason there were so many riots in the 1960's black neighborhoods in some of the largest cities in America grew relatively fast, but the places where they could live didn't expand nearly as quickly, so there was huge frustration because these neighborhoods were over crowded and underserved and under tremendous pressure.

So how do we decide where students go to school based on where they live. If you create these isolated neighborhoods you get segregated schools.

Nothing has ever really been done to correct that problem in a lot of cities where in the southern states there was both much more pressure to integrate schools and black and white people in the southern states weren't as residentially segregated.
"mostly for jobs in factories and steel mills and blah, blah."

Another reason was the results of LBJ and his "Great Society" wheer people , mostly blacks, moved north and because there were no residency requirements, IMMEDIATELY got on welfare and Gov't housing.

When gov't housing projects near where you live are built your property values will go down and the schools get inendated with children who aren't up to par with the existing student achievements and brings the entire school down.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
People like my parents helped to ensure those racist Southern Democrats were run out of office, yes. I am proud of their accomplishments in doing so. I am proud that my fellow Southerners turned away from those racist leaders. It took a new generation to do it and the help of the Federal government, which I already said was indeed absolutely necessary in this case, but we did it. Not only have we made those old Southern Democrats unwelcome as leaders in our states but we have also remained integrated while other areas did not. The difference is that we learned from the past. Stop trying to make it seem like the South is the same as the one that existed 50 years ago. It is not. I live here. I feel pretty confident I can speak to the reality of what it's like to live in the South.

Want to know what happened to those old Southern Democrats? They largely stayed Democrats and we elected Republicans instead.

Some history for you.
Misunderstanding the Southern Realignment | RealClearPolitics
I agree with you.

" Not only have we made those old Southern Democrats unwelcome as leaders in our states" To bad you couldn't get Robert Byrd out.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
don't feel too vindicated. while you may be less segregated when it comes to towns, because of reasons like the poster before you described that caused it in the north, there's still quite a bit of racism in the south.

the northeast definitely needs to fix it's city vs suburb breakdown. but there's plenty of areas of the northeast that are very diverse populations.
"there's still quite a bit of racism in the south."

There is racism EVER WHERE but, living in the South now, I don't see any more or less then other areas.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
I'm not surprised no liberals have chimed in on what MCPS is doing. The county is liberal and did used to be the top performing schools, but that's apparently changing. Add to the very controlled housing policies of the county and state, you have the perfect formula of what liberals can do to ruin a once decent place to live.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:43 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Blue States/ northeast states have very segregated schools.

The most segregated schools may not be in the states you’d expect - The Washington Post

In a way I am not surprised. There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes with being a liberal state like New York/Maryland. The mostly Democratic control state legislatures policies continue to cause more wealthier to flee. While they may not flee the state completely. They flee to nearby residential areas..

And yet NYC has some of the wealthiest people in the country and Westchester is one of the most affluent counties.

Check your facts before you babble. Indeed much of what you see as racial segregation is actually INCOME segregation. Whites are 35% of NYCs population, but are only 15% of the public school system, and indeed are probably only ONE per cent of the CHARTER schools. Asians outnumber whites at the best schools by a huge margin.

The reality is that middle class whites tend to send their kids to private schools, so there aren't many white kids left to "integrate".

I really don't think that you can argue that NYC is the worst place to be black when he have the borough of Queens where blacks earn HIGHER incomes than do whites, when he have the GOP controlled Mississippi where blacks live little better than Haitians in the Delta, and state wide earn only 50% of whites. And this in a state because of its economic structure (no high paying investment bankers/hedge fund managers/corporate lawyers) is supposed to have less income inequality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies