Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:04 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times

Advertisements

Blue States/ northeast states have very segregated schools.

The most segregated schools may not be in the states you’d expect - The Washington Post

In a way I am not surprised. There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes with being a liberal state like New York/Maryland. The mostly Democratic control state legislatures policies continue to cause more wealthier to flee. While they may not flee the state completely. They flee to nearby residential areas. This obviously causes residential "segregation". It's very subtle. But what happens is minority schools become even more so.

And it becomes a game of cat and mouse with school re zoning. My brother had to quickly sell his house when re zoning in his home in Maryland would have jumped minority population from 15% to 40%. He sold at a big loss just to get out. And move to blue ribbon school area 10 miles away which happened to have less than 15% minority enrollment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Basically you called Democrats hypocrites (wrongly i might add, im get to that later) while admitting your brother moved because rezoning would have put him in a 40% minority district , LOL, the irony is beautiful.

Now for your flawed argument. Well, i dont even need to explain it, you already did. You contradicted your own argument in the last 2 sentences of the first paragraph.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Basically you called Democrats hypocrites (wrongly i might add, im get to that later) while admitting your brother moved because rezoning would have put him in a 40% minority district , LOL, the irony is beautiful.

Now for your flawed argument. Well, i dont even need to explain it, you already did. You contradicted your own argument in the last 2 sentences of the first paragraph.
Nope. The same Dem lawmakers who push for re zoning either live in majority white schools or send their kids to private school. That's hypocrisy.

Their policies cause more concentrated minorities (black and Hispanics) in the bluest of states.

What's ironic is one of the states that's most integrated is Kansas. A red state and the home base of Brown vs Board of Education (Topeka school district).

Old 05-16-2014, 06:01 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Blue States/ northeast states have very segregated schools.

The most segregated schools may not be in the states you’d expect - The Washington Post

In a way I am not surprised. There is a lot of hypocrisy that goes with being a liberal state like New York/Maryland. The mostly Democratic control state legislatures policies continue to cause more wealthier to flee. While they may not flee the state completely. They flee to nearby residential areas. This obviously causes residential "segregation". It's very subtle. But what happens is minority schools become even more so.

And it becomes a game of cat and mouse with school re zoning. My brother had to quickly sell his house when re zoning in his home in Maryland would have jumped minority population from 15% to 40%. He sold at a big loss just to get out. And move to blue ribbon school area 10 miles away which happened to have less than 15% minority enrollment.

Why exactly did your brother have to quickly sell his house, at a big lose, in order to 'get out'? Seems odd.

Was he afraid that housing values would decrease so, to 'hedge his bet', he decided to accept a 'big loss' now, as opposed to a theoretical loss in the future?

Plus, if, after re-zoning to make schools more integrated, whites flee the area, leaving the minorities behind, causing the percentage of minorities in the schools to go up, you point is that the Democrats are to blame? Is your brother a Democrat?

Perhaps you are suggesting 'busing', in which your brother's off-spring would be bused back to the school district he fled from?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why exactly did your brother have to quickly sell his house, at a big lose, in order to 'get out'? Seems odd.

Was he afraid that housing values would decrease so, to 'hedge his bet', he decided to accept a 'big loss' now, as opposed to a theoretical loss in the future?

Plus, if, after re-zoning to make schools more integrated, whites flee the area, leaving the minorities behind, causing the percentage of minorities in the schools to go up, you point is that the Democrats are to blame? Is your brother a Democrat?

Perhaps you are suggesting 'busing', in which your brother's off-spring would be bused back to the school district he fled from?
His story is bogus. It's not even close to being believable.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
This isn't really new if you live in Maryland, namely Montgomery County which was known to have the top achieving schools, although that has been heavily disputed. I could type more but I will leave an article for you to read and a thread that has been posted in the DC/MD suburbs sub-forum:

Those ‘great’ Montgomery County schools? They were once. Maybe they can be again.

Achievement gaps at Montgomery high schools widen, according to report - The Washington Post

Old 05-16-2014, 08:42 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I would disagree.

While I am not sure where in Maryland the OPs brother lives in, Maryland does have a very controlled housing policy where sometimes, low income housing would have to be in suburban areas to eliminate "economic segregation".

His story might be true, unfortunately. And Maryland is a heavily blue state with democrats ruling the State House and Senate.

Last edited by e30is; 05-16-2014 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. Not bogus. He lived in part of part that got rezone in Howard County.

Recently this also happened to my sister in the Clarksville zip code in Maryland.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Nope. The same Dem lawmakers who push for re zoning either live in majority white schools or send their kids to private school. That's hypocrisy.

Their policies cause more concentrated minorities (black and Hispanics) in the bluest of states.

What's ironic is one of the states that's most integrated is Kansas. A red state and the home base of Brown vs Board of Education (Topeka school district).
No, the bold is you generalizing. You can believe in public education, but choose to send your child to private school. Thats not hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy is saying you would never send your child to private school and then do it.

You have done nothing but continue to point out your own bias.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I would disagree.

While I am not sure where in Maryland the OPs brother lives in, Maryland does have a very controlled housing policy where sometimes, low income housing would have to be in suburban areas to eliminate "economic segregation".

His story might be true, unfortunately. And Maryland is a heavily blue state with democrats ruling the State House and Senate.
If you are talking about home vouchers, that is simply because of cost. the same house in the country side is half the cost of the one in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies