Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First, it's SiliCON Valley, not SiliCONE Valley - I believe you're confusing us with Los Angeles, where the Silicone flows like water.

Secondly, the majority of those "Occupy types" to which you refer are in places like Berkeley and SF... the South Bay, while still largely Democratic, is hardly full of the activist-hippy culture you reference here. Do you know anything about the Bay Area? Sure doesn't seem like it.

I'd think conservatives would love Silicon Valley, seeing as our most successful companies and individuals are self-made innovators, which is a far cry from duping or taxing their way to financial gains. You know, the old "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and making it happen yourself" mantra? Not to mention, the high-tech companies employ thousands upon thousands of people, and offer competitive salaries/benefits to even the lower-level workers. From work shuttles & personal shopping services to dog & baby daycare, they are treated VERY well! So even the Occupy folks aren't too concerned about the businesses here, as they really don't compare to Wall Street on any level (other than monetary value).
LOL! Too funny. I also laugh when "outsiders" (people here where I now live) pronounce San Francisco, "San Fran Cisco" instead of the way we would say it in California, which is more like, "Sanfr'ncisco." It's such a crack up. Same with San Diego, which we would pronounce, "Sandiego." Oh, well. They don't live there. What do they know?

I spent a lot of time in Palo Alto as a young Navy guy, going to electronics school at Treasure Island. I stayed with a friend from high school and his family, who had moved out to the Bay Area about the time I joined the Navy. I quickly fell in love with the area. I settled in San Diego after I got out of the Navy.

You're right about the "self-made innovators." Fairchild Semiconductor was a pioneer in digital IC's, etc. Intel was founded by a former Fairchild engineer. Everyone knew everyone else in the industry, and most had worked together at one time or another. Of course Apple Computer was born there too. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak had been former Hewlett Packard employees in Palo Alto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Because in general, the beef wasn't "corporations are earning money". It was "There's massive income disparity in America and financial institutions are gambling with our money, screwing us over, and getting bailouts and golden parachutes out the butt when it all goes upside down".

Believe it or not, even most liberals think it's a-ok for people to make money.
I agree that the beef was that, but why vilify the oil companies who at least hire people in this country and pay them good wages while the Silicon Valley people offshore jobs and are literally ruining society? There is no more privacy, whole industries are being ruined, millions of jobs lost, easier access to state secrets and intellectual property, and people spend more time on their computers and phones than they do talking to people face to face. I think I read that within the next 20 years, 44% of current jobs will be automated. How much more of this high-tech are we going to take?

On the other hand, the oil and gas industry has been vilified and coal companies are threatened out of existence. Yet their industries are responsible for the greatest increase in standard of living in human history. There are some negatives in pollution, but they are getting better and the "green" energy also causes pollution while being a whole lot more expensive and less efficient to produce. Poverty is far worse for people than the fraction of a degree increase in temperatures and the unknown but most surely not as bad as they predict negative effects of climate change in the future.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How many of the people who make Wall Street a culprit as the 1% know that Apple and Google are the highest earning corporations in the country? Yep, Google and Apple are more valuable than all oil companies.
the difference is that Wall Street is, because of the Federal Reserve Act, subsidized by the American people. In order to prevent bank runs, we gave them the authority to print money.

but don't you worry -- silicon valley has its own army of lobbyists as well. Given enough time i'm sure they'll become parasitic as well.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I agree that the beef was that, but why vilify the oil companies who at least hire people in this country and pay them good wages while the Silicon Valley people offshore jobs and are literally ruining society? There is no more privacy, whole industries are being ruined, millions of jobs lost, easier access to state secrets and intellectual property, and people spend more time on their computers and phones than they do talking to people face to face. I think I read that within the next 20 years, 44% of current jobs will be automated. How much more of this high-tech are we going to take?

On the other hand, the oil and gas industry has been vilified and coal companies are threatened out of existence. Yet their industries are responsible for the greatest increase in standard of living in human history. There are some negatives in pollution, but they are getting better and the "green" energy also causes pollution while being a whole lot more expensive and less efficient to produce. Poverty is far worse for people than the fraction of a degree increase in temperatures and the unknown but most surely not as bad as they predict negative effects of climate change in the future.
Pretty sure that silicon valley uses a very large amount of energy to run the massive Data centers and Severs while they also help find new ways to innovate and help the oil and gas industry come up with ways to be more efficient and reduce pollution and increase the production reduce costs and make it have less of a impact during the to extracting and refining process.

Applications of computational science:

Problem domains for computational science/scientific computing include:

Programming languages and computer algebra systems commonly used for the more mathematical aspects of scientific computing applications include R (programming language), MATLAB, Mathematica, SciLab, GNU Octave, Python (programming language) with SciPy, and PDL. The more computationally intensive aspects of scientific computing will often use some variation of C or Fortran and optimized algebra libraries such as BLAS or LAPACK.

Computational science application programs often model real-world changing conditions, such as weather, air flow around a plane, automobile body distortions in a crash, the motion of stars in a galaxy, an explosive device, etc. Such programs might create a 'logical mesh' in computer memory where each item corresponds to an area in space and contains information about that space relevant to the model.

For example in weather models, each item might be a square kilometer; with land elevation, current wind direction, humidity, temperature, pressure, etc. The program would calculate the likely next state based on the current state, in simulated time steps, solving equations that describe how the system operates; and then repeat the process to calculate the next state.

The term computational scientist is used to describe someone skilled in scientific computing. This person is usually a scientist, an engineer or an applied mathematician who applies high-performance computing in different ways to advance the state-of-the-art in their respective applied disciplines in physics, chemistry or engineering. Scientific computing has increasingly also impacted on other areas including economics, biology and medicine.

Numerical simulations have different objectives depending on the nature of the task being simulated:
  • Reconstruct and understand known events (e.g., earthquake, tsunamis and other natural disasters).
  • Predict future or unobserved situations (e.g., weather, sub-atomic particle behaviour).
Model fitting and data analysis
  • Appropriately tune models or solve equations to reflect observations, subject to model constraints (e.g. oil exploration geophysics, computational linguistics).
  • Use graph theory to model networks, such as those connecting individuals, organizations, websites, and biological systems.
Computational optimization

Main article: Mathematical optimization
  • Optimize known scenarios (e.g., technical and manufacturing processes, front-end engineering).
souce Computational science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Is that a problem? Apple makes a quality product. Why shouldn't they earn high profits?
Products that have adverse environmental effects.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:43 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
I say occupy big pharm and big agri.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

I agree with you about energy companies. But Silicon Valley is ruining society? Please give me a real example of you have been harmed by Silicon Valley. The secrets they coughed up was done because of brute force exerted by the federal government.

You typed your post using a web browser, probably running on Windows or Mac. Windows isn't a Silicon Valley product but it is one of the most important enablers for office productivity and entertainment. You complain about jobs lost - how many were created? If we didn't have email - what would we do instead? I guess the postal service would have more work. Make more phone calls?

It is isn't Microsoft's fault you spend too much time on the computer.

NO company would offshore jobs if the economics didn't lead them to do so. And much of that is created by government policies.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
A post of mine from another thread:

Wall Street is just a financial system for controlling wealth and power-it's not needed in the same way that innovation and creativity will always be needed. In reality, our current and colluded economic system is not needed at all.

Our financial system was created by The Warburgs, Rockefellers, Rothschilds and Morgans in only 1913.
Humans have always needed new inventions and technology throughout history though.

Wall Street stifles innovation and creativity as it is made up of old corrupt institutions desperately trying to keep current power mechanisms in place as well as the publics' faith in their institutions. They are desperate because they know that institutions and financial systems are temporary but people and their innovations are infinite.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Because in general, the beef wasn't "corporations are earning money". It was "There's massive income disparity in America and financial institutions are gambling with our money, screwing us over, and getting bailouts and golden parachutes out the butt when it all goes upside down".

Believe it or not, even most liberals think it's a-ok for people to make money.
That and the fact that none of the banksters ever went to jail despite committing massive amounts of fraud which is the actual cause of the financial crisis. Chalk that up to the power of lobbyist money to make wealthy interests above the law in this country.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:11 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
When a Silicon Valley company scr.ws up, it folds. It doesn't get bailed out by taxpayers while explaining that it was all the government's fault for not monitoring them more closely.

Also, Silicon Valley makes stuff. Wall Street moves other people's money between ledgers and pretend it's constructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies