Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because your side of the argument is losing the debate badly and you feel you have to keep on swinging.
You know, I actually do feel we are losing... but not because we are wrong or you're actually poking holes in anything. It's because we seem to be outnumbered and worse than that trying to get you to actually read anything or understand anything is impossible, and any debate is stalled by the same arguments from the same sources that have been refuted over and over, and when one is refuted you move on to the next, and so on and so on. It's exhausting, and really I don't think you care if you're right or wrong... you only care if you win. But winning doesn't make you right... it probably just means you're more stubborn.

I have seen so many conspiratorial comments posted here, so many blatantly ridiculous claims, and so many frankly embarrassing statements that I'm starting to believe all of the cliches about ugly Americans.

It would be funny if it wasn't dangerous.

Did I actually see a comment where someone thought it was perfectly okay for the glaciers to melt?
Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 04:01 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
I think it was Paul Ryan who, upon watching an ice shelf collapsed, declared it to be a beautiful example of free market economics in action. There's a thread here concerning the difference between Republicans and conservatives; it seems to me the difference is that whereas conservatives are just wrong, Republicans are actually mad.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
The second suggests that it is not possible to explain the recent lack of surface warming solely by reductions in the total energy received by the planet, i.e. the balance between the total solar energy entering the system and the thermal energy leaving it. Changes in the exchange of heat between the upper and deep ocean appear to have caused at least part of the pause in surface warming, and observations suggest that the Pacific Ocean may play a key role.
Ergo its stopped warming.

Case closed.

Quote:
The final paper shows that the recent pause in global surface temperature rise does not materially alter the risks of substantial warming of the Earth by the end of this century. Nor does it invalidate the fundamental physics of global warming, the scientific basis of climate models and their estimates of climate sensitivity.
IOW, I don't know why it stopped warming but my apocalyptic message still stands.

All of the above translated means it stopped warming.

Thanks for validating what I have been saying.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:44 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
There is actually a book about this.... http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1384259835l/12821470.jpg

Old 05-27-2014, 04:51 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Case closed.
No, not case closed. Your citation doesn't support your claims. I can't see the part where your citation proves carbon dioxide isn't a greenhouse gas. Please point this out.

Also, please explain why you ignore later analysis that uses better interpolation methods and shows that temperatures haven't slowed down their rise as much as you claim.

Also, explain why you declare science to be fraudulent but provide references that endorse current climate research. Your citations should support your claims, not make you look like a fool who can't read.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Case closed.

IOW, I don't know why it stopped warming but my apocalyptic message still stands.

All of the above translated means it stopped warming.

Thanks for validating what I have been saying.
The suggestion that global warming has stopped is "nonsense," climatologist Richard Alley of Penn State University said last fall. The fact that the year 2012 was no warmer than 2002, he said, ignores the long-term trend of warming. Science Behind the "Global Warming Pause"

Old 05-27-2014, 04:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
You know, I actually do feel we are losing... but not because we are wrong or you're actually poking holes in anything. It's because we seem to be outnumbered and worse than that trying to get you to actually read anything or understand anything is impossible, and any debate is stalled by the same arguments from the same sources that have been refuted over and over, and when one is refuted you move on to the next, and so on and so on. It's exhausting, and really I don't think you care if you're right or wrong... you only care if you win. But winning doesn't make you right... it probably just means you're more stubborn.
Just because I don't believe in your fairy tales doesn't mean I haven't read them.

Quote:
I have seen so many conspiratorial comments posted here, so many blatantly ridiculous claims, and so many frankly embarrassing statements that I'm starting to believe all of the cliches about ugly Americans.
The article is about Australians throwing those out of power for wanting to mortgage their futures on fairy tales. Americans can't vote in Australia ugly or not.

Quote:
It would be funny if it wasn't dangerous.

Did I actually see a comment where someone thought it was perfectly okay for the glaciers to melt?
Good grief.
Probably said that if they do there isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Not nostalga the problem is fresh potable water. About 40 % of the river flows in Western Canada and the USA come from melting snow packs and glaciers in the Rocky Mountains and Sierras and Cascades.
So if you think a reduction of 30-40 % of the Water available to places like the US SW, California, the Pacfic Northwest and British Columbia and don't forget Alberta and the Prairie Provinces is a good thing go right ahead and stay in climate denial. Also remember, its hard to generate hydroelectric power without the hydro part. You also need water for fracking, extraction of oil from tar sands and to pump coal slurry from the west.
Allow me to give you a short science lesson. The glaciers do not add water to a drainage basin. If they did, they would by definition be shrinking. If they subtracted from the drainage basins, they would be growing. Drainage basins without glaciers have just as much water in their rivers as drainage basins without glaciers.

To summarize, glaciers have nothing to do with the amount of water available downstream. This is a basic math problem.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:56 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The suggestion that global warming has stopped is "nonsense," climatologist Richard Alley of Penn State University said last fall. The fact that the year 2012 was no warmer than 2002, he said, ignores the long-term trend of warming. Science Behind the "Global Warming Pause"
A few handful of years is not a long term trend.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
If CO2 is so wonderful, you should go live on Venus. The entire atmosphere is CO2, which is why it's covered in dense jungles teeming with life, and the Venutian apes eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day, basking in the warmth of the sun.

Oh right, the government doesn't want you to know that because of the green energy conspiracy.

I am having a hard time understanding how anyone with access to millions of online resources and who probably lives in place with a library or two can be so unapologetically ignorant. I've always thought that Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman etc. were just cartoon characters that nobody took seriously, but apparently they're actually influential.

I know saying this is probably just going to make you fight harder for what you believe in, but yeah... you really need to stop pretending that your beliefs have anything to do with intelligence or knowledge, because they don't.

Why are people actually debating you? That's the real question. You're actually worse than a child because at least children tend to defer to experience.
What experience do you have? Talking in a smarmy attitude?

And I used all those resources and I have come to the conclusion that when facts, not theory are available, I will listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies