Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your contribution to save the planet?
Ride a bike 6 17.65%
Vegetarianism 2 5.88%
Happy Consumer 23 67.65%
Unhappy Consumer 5 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 PM

663 posts, read 503,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you are truly "worried about climate change", go live in the hills somewhere and don't burn wood or use any other fuel that releases CO2 into the atmosphere for warmth or cooking.

Make your own clothing from all natural materials.

Do not travel except by foot or bicycle.

and for Gods sake, stay off of the internet.....electricity powers these devices.
You are wrong: You may run your computer off a solar charger.

As for your suggestion to live in the woods, that's the way the Indians lived happily for thousands of years. I believe in a middle ground though. You may minimize or maximize your impact while living in an urban environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Worried about Climate Change? Don't worry, nothing you can do

I own a car but rarely use it. It's 14 years old and has under 40,000 miles on it. I walk a lot and use public transit, much of which is fueled by used restaurant grease or hydro.
I recycle everything.
I compost.
I refuse to buy any paper products which use virgin wood.
I don't eat meat.
I buy local.
I bring my own bags to the store.
I plant water grasses at the lake to prevent algal blooms.
I started a recycling program at work.
I buy energy-efficient appliances.
I check the sustsinsbility policies of the companies I buy from.
I got some store owners to reduce their packaging.

There's plenty more, but that will do for a start.
Great, great contribution. Do you feel you are alone in your environment (Quebec) or is there a culture?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
I've been trying to do something for the last 20 years and I haven't figured out a way for me to do something. Yesterday, we took a long winding grinding trip by bicycle, and instead of having fun, we found a number of manmade obstacles along the way. Traffic wasn't particularly hostile but you find yourself wondering if everything is conspiring against you. And the trend is not toward improvement but toward more winding and grinding, particularly at corners, where new designs test your quick reflexes and demand your full attention.

So if 10 percent of the population say climate change is a hoax, they have it their way, because the remaining 90 percent must go along for the drive. And driving means CONSUMPTION & POLLUTION. I say there are two types of consumers in this world: HAPPY CONSUMERS & UNHAPPY CONSUMERS. Hey, we all like consumption, but that may mean consuming a DELICIOUS MEAL we grabbed yesterday along the way. Try that with a car. Food is unappetizing --sometimes nasty-- because you must drive and endure a hard digestion. Let alone that you must count the calories. With the bicycle you don't worry about any of that. Digestion is easy and food is simply delicious. You eat like a caveman, pure and simple.

So, like I said, don't worry about climate change, worry about obesity and hard digestions.

NOTE: I respect those who turn vegetarian to save the planet. True, they may be saving a few cows, chicken and pigs, but for the most part they remain consumers. The caveman was never that picky.
Well those cows they are "saving" apparently cause global warming. So turning vegetarian actually is hurting the environment according to warmers. Funny who that all works out aint it. lol

Old 05-24-2014, 10:49 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well those cows they are "saving" apparently cause global warming. So turning vegetarian actually is hurting the environment according to warmers. Funny who that all works out aint it. lol
You need to learn to think things through...The more vegetarians there are the fewer cows there are....

Old 05-24-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You need to learn to think things through...The more vegetarians there are the fewer cows there are....
So you hate cows? What about buffalo farts, or hippo farts? I guess that is ok to warmers. The entire thing is ridiculous.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:21 PM

Not sure I can quote from other groups but this is quite interesting:

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:59:50 PM UTC-4, Elizabeth Frantes wrote:

> My dad started in radical environmentalism in the 1950s, and he knew about, but was too smart to discuss too loudly, the most inconvenient truth that all environmental problems are caused by overpopulation. Read Kornbluth's "The Marching Morons" and note when it was published. Dad was right, of course, but it was too late to do anything, due to the meme poisoning of misogyny. Women have been kept in thrall as breeding stock, and women who go along to get along are actually the biggest part of the problem. It's such a loser's game, trying to live vicariously through your offspring. I'm not sure at what point Carcinoma Sapiens metastacized, maybe the Industrial Revolution!

I think it metastasized at the beginning of the 20th century with the invasion of the automobile. Trains and bicycles were very promising, but they were quickly replaced with the polluting automobile and the promise of a sedentary life. We'll be plenty sedentary when we die.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
you assume that cows will stop breeding, and that wont be the case. in fact cow populations will increase over time, as will predator populations.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That's so true. No wonder I enjoyed my steak so much today.

Reducing meat intake though is very wise, not only because of the cow.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
That's so true. No wonder I enjoyed my steak so much today.

Reducing meat intake though is very wise, not only because of the cow.

I bbq about every night so reducing meat intake this time of the year is something I won't be doing. lol

Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready to roll View Post
I wanna drill baby.
Get an electric drill and start with the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies