Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:29 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,597,133 times

Advertisements

IRS Tax Migration | How Money Walks | How $2 Trillion Moved between the States - A Book By Travis H. Brown

Quote:
IRS Tax Migration
For many years now the IRS has been tracking the migration of Americans and their income across state and county lines. Every year they produce a detailed report on the tax migration of Americans, showing the amount of people and income that moved.
[MOD CUT/copyright]
I took my business and family from metro NY to Virginia, which despite recent elections is still a functional state thanks to a Republican controlled legislature.

Schools are better too thanks to non-union teachers and cost much less due to consolidated districts and non-union teachers.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-26-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
I'm still shocked that so many left California and moved to Texas.
Two politically extreme states yet they came and came and came and are still coming !

Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
The nj legislature keeps denying that this is true.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Correlation versus causation. I haven't read the book, of course, and won't. But there is more to migration than tax considerations. Other factors that might be considered are weather, job opportunities, cost of living, perceived quality of life, and relatives. CA does not have inordinately high personal taxes. Corporations may leave for that reason, but people leave mostly for cost of living considerations.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
^^Exactly! I don't think people are "fleeing" anywhere!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:09 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
If people are too lazy, stupid, and unmotivated to plan and adjust their lives that they need to pack up and move to another state based primarily on tax rates I say 'good riddance'. Good luck to the folks of the states that get these dinosaurs. Not exactly innovators and/or critical thinkers you're getting for neighbors.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,840 times
When Texas has 80 million people, will you guys be happy?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Correlation versus causation. I haven't read the book, of course, and won't. But there is more to migration than tax considerations. Other factors that might be considered are weather, job opportunities, cost of living, perceived quality of life, and relatives. CA does not have inordinately high personal taxes. Corporations may leave for that reason, but people leave mostly for cost of living considerations.
Lots of families came from California. That's what was reported in the Austin area based on school attendance.
I imagine it's cheaper to raise a family in Texas than CA. Taxes do play a part in COL though and Texas has no state income tax.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If people are too lazy, stupid, and unmotivated to plan and adjust their lives that they need to pack up and move to another state based primarily on tax rates I say 'good riddance'. Good luck to the folks of the states that get these dinosaurs. Not exactly innovators and/or critical thinkers you're getting for neighbors.
That's quite humorous since it's basically the exact opposite of what actually takes place.

Take a look in places like the Houston forum for example, it's pages and pages of young, educated, single adults looking for advice on where to move and most are moving from high tax liberal run states like CA. The "dinosaurs" are staying in high tax states because they take advantage of the programs that those high taxes pay for.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
When Texas has 80 million people, will you guys be happy?
But they all settled in the same area..along the I-35 corridor.
Prices in the cities/towns there are sky high now. The RE is in a bubble, cities are taking on more debt to expand, etc.

And these are areas with water issues.

I hightailed it out of the Austin area a few years ago.
My property taxes had tripled and I was paying 7 different taxing entities and I wasn't even in the Austin city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies