Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:38 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times

Advertisements

In New Orleans, major school district closes traditional public schools for good

With the start of the next school year, the Recovery School District will be the first in the country made up completely of public charter schools, a milestone for New Orleans and a grand experiment in urban education for the nation.

The creation of the country’s first all-charter school system has improved education for many children in New Orleans, but it also has severed ties to a community institution, the neighborhood school, and amplified concerns about racial equality and loss of parental control.

An all-charter district signals the dismantling of the central school bureaucracy and a shift of power to dozens of independent school operators, who will assume all the corresponding functions: the authority to hire and fire teachers and administrators, maintain buildings, run buses and provide services to special-needs students.

Critics of the all-charter New Orleans model say it is undemocratic, because leaders of charter schools are not accountable to voters. They also say the system is challenging for parents, who have to figure out logistics that were not an issue when their children walked to neighborhood schools.

Well, this should be good to figure out if this works on a large scale.

I wonder how this fits with property taxes. Does this mean that people without school age kids will not be on the hook to pay for school? That's a good thing.

The argument that it's not accountable to voters anymore... that's code speak for the liberal governing authorities will no longer have control over what takes place. There will be accountability to the customers footing the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
The unions are not going to like this at all; therefor, I support it.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:44 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Well, this should be good to figure out if this works on a large scale.

I wonder how this fits with property taxes. Does this mean that people without school age kids will not be on the hook to pay for school? That's a good thing.
Doubtful. The Louisiana constitution, like most states, probably requires a publicly funded school system.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Doubtful. The Louisiana constitution, like most states, probably requires a publicly funded school system.

Surely you would think they ran it by their constitutional scholars?

Not sure there is an amendment in the Texas Constitution.
I think it is law, because the Texas Constitution has never said or ever amended to restrict the state from providing public assistance.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Well it can't be any worse than what we have now.
We knew NCLB was a failure and that didn't stop Congress from keeping it alive for over 10 years.
In fact NCLB is still alive.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
. that's code speak for the liberal governing authorities will no longer have control over what takes place.

You probably should have used google before you posted that.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:32 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
A district without any traditional public schools is certainly a fascinating prospect, as well as a first in modern American history. I say let's use these laboratories of innovation we've got for a change; states and localities should try new and very different approaches to policy and see if they work or not. Education is in sore need of such an approach. If every school district displayed the kind* of creativity and will seen in New Orleans, we'd be a lot better off.

*I don't just mean charter schools and right-wing approaches; I'd be just as okay with some states and districts going in the opposite direction and selecting options from the vast left-wing menu, which is really underutilized in supposedly left-wing states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Charter schools are publicly funded; what they are getting rid of is conventional public schools, not public schools per se.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:35 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
A district without any traditional public schools is certainly a fascinating prospect, as well as a first in modern American history. I say let's use these laboratories of innovation we've got for a change; states and localities should try new and very different approaches to policy and see if they work or not. Education is in sore need of such an approach. If every school district displayed the kind* of creativity and will seen in New Orleans, we'd be a lot better off.

*I don't just mean charter schools and right-wing approaches; I'd be just as okay with some states and districts going in the opposite direction and selecting options from the vast left-wing menu, which is really underutilized in supposedly left-wing states.

Charter schools are publicly funded; what they are getting rid of is conventional public schools, not public schools per se.
They are getting rid of government run schools, which is a damned good idea. As we know from looking at the VA, the IRS, the ACA, ATF, etc. etc. etc., the government can't run squat.

About the only government funded enterprise that does its job and does it well is the U.S. military, and even there you'll find huge amounts of graft, waste, abuse and corruption.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
I think its a horrible idea.....but that being said, I look forward to seeing the results, if it works better then I expect then I think it will deserve to be expanded upon.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:02 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I think its a horrible idea.....but that being said, I look forward to seeing the results, if it works better then I expect then I think it will deserve to be expanded upon.
Of course you do, I wouldn't expect anything less from a statist who thinks only the government can run our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies