Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Sadly this is what obummer should be investing in to get America working and get this economy kick started.
He had the chance and blew it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
ZOOOOMMMMM (sound of my post going right over your head)

Um, that WAS the point. We DON'T pay high taxes on gasoline while other countries do. That means that our politicians have already made gas cheaper for us by not charging those taxes. You are blaming politicians when they are not to blame.
Then this statement is wrong.

Gas prices aren't dictated by elected officials (the taxes on gas are but they aren't the issue here)

So which is it?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Sadly this is what obummer should be investing in to get America working and get this economy kick started. I am disappointed that Washington hasn't moved this direction. If you put people to work, you collect taxes and they spend the money they earn which creates more jobs and more people paying taxes. Why doesn't obummer see this?

I hope Governor Snyder sees this and invests the excess budget in infrastructure for Michigan. There's talk of a tax rebate. Seriously? Keep it. Do something useful with it. We need roads and bridges rebuilt all over this state. Put people to work improving infrastructure.
When government gets out of the way, people get to work bringing products that others actually want and are willing to pay for, to the marketplace (= jobs)
Obama and his politicians cannot create anything without stealing it from someone else first. They are destroyers, not creators

Old 05-31-2014, 07:06 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When government gets out of the way, people get to work bringing products that others actually want and are willing to pay for, to the marketplace (= jobs)
Obama and his politicians cannot create anything without stealing it from someone else first. They are destroyers, not creators
It isn't stealing to use tax money to rebuild infrastructure that tax payers use every day. Our roadways and bridges are crumbling across the nation. Who do you think should be rebuilding them?

The only real other option is to privatize them and turn them into toll ways and toll bridges. The end result is the same. The public pays for the rebuilding of the infrastructure and either way, jobs are created. IMO, using tax monies to rebuild the infrastructure would be a good thing.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:08 AM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The money that the government is infusing into the markets has to go somewhere. Commodities are easy as people can't simply decide to not continue using them.

If you think this has nothing to do with the price completely turn off the welfare programs for the markets. The prices would collapse.
Kennedy was blaming speculators, not QE. I agree that if QE was halted all assets would see a price decline. Speculators would still make money.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 AM

Guest Post: U.S. Gasoline Consumption Plummets By Nearly 75% | Zero Hedge

Old 05-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Kennedy was blaming speculators, not QE. I agree that if QE was halted all assets would see a price decline. Speculators would still make money.
Where do you think the speculative money is coming from in large portions? Few would complain if speculators were able to run a barrel of oil up to $65.

As an aside, I believe only end users should be able to speculate on commodities.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
If you believe that hogwash,then I have some land to sell you!

With Only $93 Billion in Profits, the Big Five Oil Companies Demand to Keep Tax Breaks
Lifting the crude oil export ban, as some Big Oil companies are lobbying to do, could raise gasoline prices at filling stations such as this BP in Lakewood, New Jersey.

By Daniel J. Weiss and Miranda Peterson | February 10, 2014

The 2013 profit totals are in for the big five oil companies—BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil, and Shell. Their financial reports indicate that they earned a combined total of $93 billion last year, or $177,000 per minute.
With Only $93 Billion in Profits, the Big Five Oil Companies Demand to Keep Tax Breaks | Center for American Progress

United States Oil Production Beats Saudia Arabia Via Fracking, Why Are Gas Prices High?
Read more at United States Oil Production Beats Saudia Arabia Via Fracking, Why Are Gas Prices High?
High Gas Prices: A US Political Problem

But you would assume since the United States now exports more oil than it imports that the economic rules of supply and demand should cause US gas prices to drop, right? Unfortunately, that’s where localized markets and politics have kept gas prices high.

Read more at United States Oil Production Beats Saudia Arabia Via Fracking, Why Are Gas Prices High?
The Leftists websites of yours don't appear to understand that US Federal Law does NOT allow the export of US Oil. There is a move in Congress to change that, but it hasn't happened yet.
It is against Federal Law to export Oil from the USA .... the only exceptions are to US Territories and a small amount in Trade to Canada. Find a website that knows at least a few basics instead of Leftist Propaganda.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Where do you think the speculative money is coming from in large portions? Few would complain if speculators were able to run a barrel of oil up to $65.

As an aside, I believe only end users should be able to speculate on commodities.
http://www.cmegroup.com/clearing/ris...to_present.pdf

Futures aren't a "Cash" market. Traders buy contracts on margin and as you can see by the linked PDF margin requirements have actually been DECLINING. In fact the required margin today is HALF what it was last year at this time. The added trading volume is more a result of lower margins than money pumped into the economy by the FED. I can trade two contracts for the same margin I could trade one for last year.

Only end users should be able to speculate on commodities? Aren't we ALL end users? Do you buy heating oil? Drive a car? Eat cereal? Eat beef? Eat pork? Why shouldn't I as a consumer be able to hedge myself against price volatility?

If your theory that only end users should be able to speculate on commodities you will end up with large corporations fixing prices. Nothing could go wrong with B.P., Chevron and Shell setting oil prices could it............

Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Leftists websites of yours don't appear to understand that US Federal Law does NOT allow the export of US Oil. There is a move in Congress to change that, but it hasn't happened yet.
It is against Federal Law to export Oil from the USA .... the only exceptions are to US Territories and a small amount in Trade to Canada. Find a website that knows at least a few basics instead of Leftist Propaganda.

You mean like 'foaming at the mouth~ radical right wing extremist' Faux News?
OH HELL NOOOOS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies