Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:36 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wonder the same thing every time I hear a Conservative wanting to govern a woman's body or tell a couple who they can and cannot marry. Nanny State Conservatives.
This conservative doesn't give a rats butt what you do to your body. It's the unborn child that I care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 11:38 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This one is the height of stupidity. But those with the Big Government Nanny State attitude will applaud these types of efforts. If my doctor joined this group of control freaks I would look for an alternative.
-------------------
One group in particular, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, has set its sights on the franchise with a campaign aimed at preventing the Iron Pigs from using bacon as a promotional tool. The organization is behind a local billboard featuring a depiction of bacon in what appears to be a cigarette pack along with the message “Keep Kids Safe: Ban Bacon from Ballparks.”

Outrageously, the comparison to cigarettes does not end there. The group sent a letter to Mayor Ed Pawlowski imploring him to intervene by asking the team to “stop glorifying bacon” and suggesting the meat is as dangerous as smoking.

“The team would never pass out free cartons of cigarettes to the children of the LeHigh Valley,” the letter claims; “yet they are providing open access to bacon crumbles and turning a family-friendly event into a public health crisis.”

The organization also sent a letter to team owners in which they conclude that bacon “can be as deadly as smoking” and suggesting that by offering it at the ballpark, they are “glorifying cancer.”

Read more at You Won
I just watched an old movie last night - Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone. The future was a supposedly happy Utopia.

Everything bad for you was outlawed, there was no physical contact during sex or at any other time, the music on the radio was all chirpy jingles (The Valley of the Jolly Green Giant), everyone had a "blessed day". Everyone wore flowing mono chromatic colored clothing and met others with "Greetings and Salutations Citizen!". Of course there was an evil villian (the guy who was the founder of SanAngeles) who wanted to kill the leader of the resistance (who lived underground in the sewers with a bunch of other rag tag, starving citizens who refused to submit to the control of everything in their lives).

Free people have free will. Absolute power will always corrupt absolutely. You can't change the nature of man. Push hard enough and people will eventually push back. All the truisms about people will always be true.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Common law has always been around.
The proof is in the pudding, when placed upon the judge and juries tray.
Then you are saying to settle things they would file civil actions???

That is why the government is part of a marriage.....they are left to decide many things from real property to custody of children.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Actually, this approach is rooted in sound science.

Contrary to what a lot of people assume, food habits are not the result of conscious choices. They are acquired in much the same way smoking is. No one ever ever gazed at a pack of Marlboros, weighed the pros and cons of smoking, and decided, "Yes, sucking burnt ash into my lungs is a fine idea." People do not consciously choose to smoke. Smoking is a memetic behavior--i.e. something people sort of pick up semi-consciously, usually because the people are them are doing it.

The same is true of food. People develop food cravings long before they are able to make conscious choices about what to eat. The less exposure people have to bad food when they are young, the less likely they are to crave bad foods as they grow older.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So the entire government is liberal now?
Who said that?

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Who would make the rulings when the couple breaks up??
That would be no different from any other contract.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:56 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wonder the same thing every time I hear a Conservative wanting to govern a woman's body or tell a couple who they can and cannot marry. Nanny State Conservatives.
Making murder illegal is not nanny state interference. Doing what you want with your body does not extend to killing others. It's an invalid comparison that relies on only viewing the issue through your own personal lens instead of debating both sides of the issue. Conservatives don't want to govern a woman's body. They want to ban the unnecessary termination of human life. If you want to see that as governing a woman's body then that's your own free choice to be ignorant. But saying that conservatives want to govern a woman's body is intellectual dishonesty and only serves to weaken your position. Building a strawman for the other side simply makes it look like you're incompetent to form a real argument on the issue.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They must not have been as conservative as you think.
Government should get entirely out of who can be with who business. A revenue maker of a business.
I guess that would mean we shouldn't consider the far right wing to be conservative anymore.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This conservative doesn't give a rats butt what you do to your body. It's the unborn child that I care about.
Then you should offer women that wish to have an abortion the chance to give their fetus to you so that you can grow it inside your body if you care about unborn fetuses in the first trimester so much. If you don't care what one does with their own body, then you cannot care if that person chooses to grow something inside themselves or not. That isn't your choice to make, nor is it your decision to force onto others.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So the entire government is liberal now?
Well...for the most part...they have controlled it (along with great help from left wing journalism) for the best part of the last 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies