Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times

Advertisements

Research and development expenditure (% of GDP) | Data | Table

I don't think that this is a left or right issue. It is something that effects all parties and on both side of the aisle. Just my opinion on this:

I know that we are in debt and we need to make adjustments to our fiscal policies. But the only way to survive as a country is to keep innovating and advancing our science fundamentals. The other issue is that people are only looking at today or the next quarter financial statements. And this is where science gets the bullet to the head.

It takes years of scientific research for any results to come about, and then even more years for that scientific discovery to make an impact on our daily lives. It took 12 years from the discovery of penicillin to the actual application of it to make it into our daily lives. It almost took 40 years to get GPS technology into our cellphones.

But every body wants results now, and if we don't see results by the next year, its automatically considered what ever. Anyhow, that's just my rant for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:34 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
No context. Is it increasing? Decreasing? What about globally - did another country step in and fill the role?

Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Research and development expenditure (% of GDP) | Data | Table

I don't think that this is a left or right issue. It is something that effects all parties and on both side of the aisle. Just my opinion on this:

I know that we are in debt and we need to make adjustments to our fiscal policies. But the only way to survive as a country is to keep innovating and advancing our science fundamentals.
The other issue is that people are only looking at today or the next quarter financial statements. And this is where science gets the bullet to the head.

It takes years of scientific research for any results to come about, and then even more years for that scientific discovery to make an impact on our daily lives. It took 12 years from the discovery of penicillin to the actual application of it to make it into our daily lives. It almost took 40 years to get GPS technology into our cellphones.

But every body wants results now, and if we don't see results by the next year, its automatically considered what ever. Anyhow, that's just my rant for the day.
I stopped after the bold.

I support anything that helps do that.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Do you have something that shows throwing more money at the problem will fix it? We know that throwing more money in schools doesn't fix them.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
We don't need to figure out more ways the military can kill people. Let corporations do research.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We don't need to figure out more ways the military can kill people. Let corporations do research.
Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria

A good quote in regards to what you said. MRSA is becoming a bigger threat and yet:

"In some cases, the strongest antibiotics currently on the market can’t stop them. And the pipeline of new, more effective, antibiotics? It’s nearly empty. Leading drug companies have largely put their research and development dollars elsewhere; the cost of bringing a new antibiotic to market is enormous, while the payoff—compared to other drugs, to treat other conditions—is slim.

Sympathetic, to a point, Young explains:

“I can put my money into developing a blockbuster drug for some chronic disease, like high blood pressure—something you’ll have to take every day for the rest of your life. Or into an antibiotic that you’re supposed to use very briefly—and even then, only if you absolutely have to.”

From a profit-and-loss point of view, Young concedes, it’s “a very tough sell.”"

Because the profit isn't as lucrative to develop stronger antibiotics, manufacturers are reluctant to develop something that can be beneficial to potentially millions of people. In this case, only the govt. would be likely to develop new antibiotics, because an immediate payoff wouldn't be as necessary compared to the pharmaceutical company, where they want to see profits ASAP.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Do you have something that shows throwing more money at the problem will fix it?
Do you know of any research that can be conducted free of cost?
Quote:
We know that throwing more money in schools doesn't fix them.
Fallacious comparison.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:05 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Default Less than 3% of the budget goes to scientific research.

Less than 3% of the American workforce is composed of scientists.

"Another or third classification, not discussed here, would be to include in the S&E workforce anyone with an S&E degree or S&E occupation. Under this classification, there were approximately 10.8 million scientists and engineers in the workforce in 1999. Included in this total are about 300 thousand individuals who were employed in S&E occupations but who had no S&E degree."

How Large is the U.S. S&E Workforce?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
There is research and then there is research and I would be willing to bet that 90% of "research" that we do fund serves no practical use at all....

Old 06-01-2014, 09:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Do you know of any research that can be conducted free of cost?

Fallacious comparison.
So you want to waste more money.

Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies