Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I didn't say that football was more important than mathematics.

I'm giving you the facts of life about major college sports. Either you can deal with that fact, or you can't. Your choice.

If you think the Mathematics Department at the University of Alabama is held up with the same importance as the football program, then you need to stop smoking that dope you're using.

Again, the SEC just split up 309 MILLION...again for emphasis, genius...309 MILLION dollars among member schools. And that's WITHOUT their own TV Network...something they'll have this coming season. It also doesn't include ticket sales, concessions, and other local revenues.

And you wanna talk to me about MATH?

Wake up and smell the coffee and stop pestering me with this education nonsense. I'm not anti education, but this is America and money talks.

Name me a conference in which the member school's mathematics program brought in 309 million dollars to split up!

Right. That's what I thought.
I don't know about that while the University of Alabama certainly loves the money and prestige of its football program, it would still survive without it. At the end if the day the core mission of any school is education, if it's not in the long run it will run into issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
But is it true?
Of course it is. The abysmal reading and math abilities of black Americans are widely known. The answer is of course, more money.

Again; reality is racist.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know about that while the University of Alabama certainly loves the money and prestige of its football program, it would still survive without it. At the end if the day the core mission of any school is education, if it's not in the long run it will run into issues.
It would survive without football as a podunk. Football is so intrinsic to the structure of that school that NOT having it is unimaginable.

Sure, the core mission of the school (or any school) is education. I'm not getting that twisted...

But let's be realistic here. University of Alabama's system has nearly a billion dollars in endowment funds. The Humanities department isn't primarily responsible for that, and we both know it.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:40 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
It would survive without football as a podunk. Football is so intrinsic to the structure of that school that NOT having it is unimaginable.

Sure, the core mission of the school (or any school) is education. I'm not getting that twisted...

But let's be realistic here. University of Alabama's system has nearly a billion dollars in endowment funds. The Humanities department isn't primarily responsible for that, and we both know it.
Look how much money T Boone tossed to Ok State and one will see why a football program is important. Not to mention the media coverage to get kids looking there way on and on. Sports is part of America though some don't want to admit it. I love it and always will. Hell half my life is spent on ESPN........lol. Or Fox KC. I'm just mad my girl has decided to not play hoops this year. I'm still on her though.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Look how much money T Boone tossed to Ok State and one will see why a football program is important. Not to mention the media coverage to get kids looking there way on and on. Sports is part of America though some don't want to admit it. I love it and always will. Hell half my life is spent on ESPN........lol. Or Fox KC. I'm just mad my girl has decided to not play hoops this year. I'm still on her though.
Yep.

Boone Pickens stroked a check for about 200 or 300 million to OSU...And it wasn't because he loved the Debate Team.

People just don't get how sports mad this country really is.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:43 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,889 times
Plenty of people realize how sports mad the country is....

People just don't understand how it's a bad thing......

Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Boone Pickens stroked a check for about 200 or 300 million to OSU...And it wasn't because he loved the Debate Team.

People just don't get how sports mad this country really is.
The thing is folks who watch and love the sports played back in their day. They just weren't good enough to go to the next level............whatever level that was. Hell back in my day you go cut..........now they all stay. Why? I'd rather be cut than ride the bench. Folks watch because they all wanted to do what the pro's do...............many think hey I could hit that fastball. Not true but why they watch. Heck I never pushed my kids into sports but they just eased on in. I love watching em play but know they won't be some superstars. All about having fun. So she goes.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestRockwell View Post
Plenty of people realize how sports mad the country is....

People just don't understand how it's a bad thing......
It's not a bad thing. Why do you think it is. Sports create friendships and camaraderie. Why is that a bad thing? You meet the best friends of your life playing sports........so horrible? lol

Old 06-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It's not a bad thing. Why do you think it is. Sports create friendships and camaraderie. Why is that a bad thing? You meet the best friends of your life playing sports........so horrible? lol
Because he couldn't play, that's why.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Because he couldn't play, that's why.
Ehh.............most can't play...........but they play and have fun..............what it's all about. I've coached my boy and girl for years...........and just like to watch em all have fun. If they don't they do pushups. LOL. Many a parent won't even get into the fray but will surely beech at you. Bunch of dummies. Kids all are great. If I could do it over I would be coaching kids. I make too much money doing what I do though at this time.................lol

Maybe in a few.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies