Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:06 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Schools have zero-tolerance for all sorts of things. Getting kicked in the face can get you suspended, for instance. It's not really about guns.

Do you ever stop and think you may have a pro-gun hysteria?
I don't really think kicking someone in the face (assault) and bringing a toy gun to school (however realistic looking it is), or pointing your fingers like you're holding a gun at recess (you know, thumb up and index finger out) are the same thing, though.

I mean in one instance you are directly assaulting someone and in the other you're playing with a toy, 9 times out of 10 completely innocently.

I'm not disagreeing that toy guys shouldn't be allowed in school because some look very real and that is scary, but water guns should be allowed on the playground. Why not? Nerf guns, too. They're not harmful. Pointing your fingers like a gun on the elementary school playground at recess or in gym should definitely be allowed because in that case you don't even have a prop or toy of any sort. Sometimes, it gets out of hand in schools. And it's not just involving toy guns. Schools in my town banned those "I love boobies" bracelets that raised money for breast cancer. You can't do anything anymore, it sometimes feels like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 12:18 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Links to that 70% number....

The number Mother Johns citied is so laughably wrong..

I dont care what police or doctors think or say, their opinions do not over ride the Constitution..

How am I putting Americans long lived Gun Rights in the hands of CEOs and Rush Radio?

They are owned by the CEO or owners to begin with...

You make no sense and just a left lean lemming claim to support a cause you really either know nothing about or dont care about...

What would you have us do? Vote Democratic? We all know they love the 2nd Amendment and have never tried to limit our rights...right? Sarcasm to the max.

Sit back and watch 2014 as your side gets the raping it has coming to it.
No I would have you truly fight to keep America's long lived gun history alive. I was trying to give you a liberals perspective on how Americans are loosing their gun rights at this moment.

But your above post clearly shows that your intentions here are not to keep Americas long lived gun history alive. Rather your intentions are a republican victory in 2014 (just as your above post clearly shows.)

These gun grabber threads are not about keeping gun rights, they are about getting republicans more votes.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm
in other words these are largely gang related shootings, and that wont change until we change the culture of the poor communities where the gangs are prevalent.

I believe its hard to change culture. But instead of giving the rich tax cuts and not letting the government get those tax revenues. Some of that tax revenue could be used on programs to better poor black communities, and that would reduce some gun violence.

really? the majority of mericans dont own guns, how do you know that? there are 300 million americans, and 250 million guns in this country. either the majority of americans do own guns, or the minority sure owns a lot of guns in their collections.

I know that by researching and reading. Go to Google and type "what percentage of Americans own guns" and then learn the facts for yourself.

we means republicans, and even democrats who have kids in the schools. now are you really trying to suggest that 70% of americans dont own guns? you have proof of that right?

I have already given sources showing the things I said.

Americas gun culture goes back 100's of years to a time when we needed guns to kill food and needed guns for protection (but today we buy our meat at grocery stores, and we have the police to protect us.) Even 30 years ago Americas kids grew up outdoors with pellet guns, but today's kids grow up with video games and airsoft guns. And in today's America there is no longer a necessity to own a gun, and the things that created America's gun culture are now gone.

Global gun cultures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally I want to keep Americas legal gun culture, and I strongly believe that some form of communication and (negotiation) is needed between conservatives, and the voting majority of Americans who don't own guns.

Chad.

oh boy, trying to suggest that cops are at our doorsteps in case we need them right away, that it pure tripe. just remember this, when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.

Whenever I have needed the police they were always there quickly. And unlike republicans I deeply respect our police, US soldiers, firefighters, and EMT personnel.

and you say it is no longer necessary to own guns, that is also rubbish. people still hunt, and defend themselves with firearms all the time. if you dont want a gun, then fine dont get one, but dont take away my right to own a firearm if i choose.

Just before writing this I had a Browning 22 autoloading pistol in my hand, I like its fluorescent sight bead. From 10-15 feet away it only takes me about a second to get it on a 2-3 inch target. But still I know you will continue to call me a gun grabber.

Response is in red above,
Chad.
yeah, you post a wikipedia link and expect it to be taken seriously? get real. and you are the one that claimed that 70% of americans dont own guns, but you have NOT posted anything to substantiate that claim. and when did i call you a gun grabber? i said if you dont want a gun then fine dont own one. obviously you do own a firearm, but somehow you want people to stop owning guns? and again when SECONDS count the cops are just minutes away. true when you call the cops with an emergency, they do tend to show up fairly quickly, but that wont help you when you have been shot by someone already, then all they can do is show up and fill out the reports.

oh they might say, sorry you are dead, but we just couldnt get here right when you needed us, as there are not enough cops to do that.

as for changing the culture by taxing the rich, and then sending the money into the poor neighborhoods, do you really think that will work? if so then you are quite naive. we think that foreign aid goes to the people of other countries, but the reality is that a few get rich from foreign aid, and the people still suffer. the same thing would happen in the poor neighborhoods. a few gang leaders would get richer, and the rest of the people in the neighborhood would still suffer. but you would have punished the rich by taking their money, and showing them that they cant ignore the poor, now didnt you?

Old 06-08-2014, 12:56 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yeah, you post a wikipedia link and expect it to be taken seriously? get real. and you are the one that claimed that 70% of americans dont own guns, but you have NOT posted anything to substantiate that claim. and when did i call you a gun grabber? i said if you dont want a gun then fine dont own one. obviously you do own a firearm, but somehow you want people to stop owning guns? and again when SECONDS count the cops are just minutes away. true when you call the cops with an emergency, they do tend to show up fairly quickly, but that wont help you when you have been shot by someone already, then all they can do is show up and fill out the reports.

oh they might say, sorry you are dead, but we just couldnt get here right when you needed us, as there are not enough cops to do that.

as for changing the culture by taxing the rich, and then sending the money into the poor neighborhoods, do you really think that will work? if so then you are quite naive. we think that foreign aid goes to the people of other countries, but the reality is that a few get rich from foreign aid, and the people still suffer. the same thing would happen in the poor neighborhoods. a few gang leaders would get richer, and the rest of the people in the neighborhood would still suffer. but you would have punished the rich by taking their money, and showing them that they cant ignore the poor, now didnt you?
I Googled "what percentage of Americans own guns", and then I went strait down the list. I skipped one source because it asked "only gun owners" questions.

This source says 32% of Americans owned guns in 2010.
How Many People Own Guns in America? And Is Gun Ownership Actually Declining? | TheBlaze.com

This source says 24% of Americans personally own a gun.
A minority of Americans own guns, but just how many is unclear | Pew Research Center

This source says in 2012 34 percent of American households owned guns.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us...hows.html?_r=0

This source says 30-34% of Americans own a gun.
Gun Control - Just Facts

This source says in 2010 32% of households owned a gun.
Some Uncomfortable Numbers About Guns in America - The Wire

And I don't want to tax the rich, I only want the rich to pay their fair share. Today billionaire CEO's pay around a 11% federal tax rate.

Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

Many middle class Americans have higher federal tax rates than millionaire and billionaire CEO's.

And Americans who are (not) CEO's who make $400,000+ a year are in a 39% tax bracket, while the CEO's are in a 17% capital gains federal tax bracket.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:00 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't really think kicking someone in the face (assault) and bringing a toy gun to school (however realistic looking it is), or pointing your fingers like you're holding a gun at recess (you know, thumb up and index finger out) are the same thing, though.

I mean in one instance you are directly assaulting someone and in the other you're playing with a toy, 9 times out of 10 completely innocently.

I'm not disagreeing that toy guys shouldn't be allowed in school because some look very real and that is scary, but water guns should be allowed on the playground. Why not? Nerf guns, too. They're not harmful. Pointing your fingers like a gun on the elementary school playground at recess or in gym should definitely be allowed because in that case you don't even have a prop or toy of any sort. Sometimes, it gets out of hand in schools. And it's not just involving toy guns. Schools in my town banned those "I love boobies" bracelets that raised money for breast cancer. You can't do anything anymore, it sometimes feels like.
I said getting kicked in the face. Schools now tend to punish both people in an altercation.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
And I don't want to tax the rich, I only want the rich to pay their fair share. Today billionaire CEO's pay around a 11% federal tax rate.

Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

Romney paid 14% effective tax rate in 2011 - Sep. 21, 2012

Many middle class Americans have higher federal tax rates than millionaire and billionaire CEO's.

And Americans who are (not) CEO's who make $400,000+ a year are in a 39% tax bracket, while the CEO's are in a 17% capital gains federal tax bracket.
never mind that you only looked at two peoples taxes. the average american actually has a lower effective tax rate than either buffet or romney. and never mind that romney paid $14million in taxes for one year, and never mind that the top 1% already pay 40% of the taxes collected by the IRS, and never mind that the top 10% already pay 70% of the taxes collected by the IRS, and never mind that the top 50% pay 97% of the taxes collected by the IRS. so tell me, how much more should they be paying?

as for CEOs being in the 17% tax bracket for capital gains, not all of them are, in fact most of them pay that 39% tax rate. your mind is being clouded by those that hate people who are successful. the reality is that the rich do pay their "fair share" of taxes, in fact they pay more than their fair share.

and if you had bothered to look into the tax cuts in 2001 and 2003, you would have found that EVERYONE got a tax cut, not just the rich. in fact the lower tax classes got a larger percentage tax cut than the upper tax class did. remember back in 2010 when obama said he didnt want everyones taxes to go up? that actually meant that he didnt want the bush tax cuts to expire because he knew it would hurt the economy to have everyones taxes go up then. sorry but you are wrong on so many levels.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:33 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would love to see hunting/gun safety taught in all schools.
A great way to create new gun customers. Eddie Eagle/ Joe Camel.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
No I would have you truly fight to keep America's long lived gun history alive. I was trying to give you a liberals perspective on how Americans are loosing their gun rights at this moment.

But your above post clearly shows that your intentions here are not to keep Americas long lived gun history alive. Rather your intentions are a republican victory in 2014 (just as your above post clearly shows.)

These gun grabber threads are not about keeping gun rights, they are about getting republicans more votes.
Really?

Which party and ideology has been leading the attack on the 2nd Amendment since 1934?

Which party and ideology?

Could it be the Leftist/Democrats? No couldn't.

My intentions are to defend gun rights and the gun culture...We do that by preventing people who would strip us of our rights from ever being election...

And time and time again just as the last push in 2013 the dems by and large goose stepped in masses and if it were not for 4 brave Dems we would have free less freedom and choice on are right to keep and bear arms...

Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Response is in red above,
Chad.

I believe its hard to change culture. But instead of giving the rich tax cuts and not letting the government get those tax revenues. Some of that tax revenue could be used on programs to better poor black communities, and that would reduce some gun violence.

I know that by researching and reading. Go to Google and type "what percentage of Americans own guns" and then learn the facts for yourself.

Whenever I have needed the police they were always there quickly. And unlike republicans I deeply respect our police, US soldiers, firefighters, and EMT personnel.

Just before writing this I had a Browning 22 autoloading pistol in my hand, I like its fluorescent sight bead. From 10-15 feet away it only takes me about a second to get it on a 2-3 inch target. But still I know you will continue to call me a gun grabber.
We did try that. It was called the War on Poverty, we have throw trillions of dollars at poverty and guess what chat? It did work!

Did it work in Detroit?

Did it work in Baltimore?

Did it work in Chicago?

Did it work in New Orleans?

Did it work in in countless ghettos and inner cities schools?

No it did not, we wasted the wealth of 3 Generations in less then 50 years, we gave up on the exploration and conquest of space for reconfigure our nation to the least common denominators. And I dont mean blacks I mean people who want to live off the fruits and labors of others..

This idea of we(and by we you lefty always mean us Conservative) need to raise taxes and spend more money on the welfare system is done, it does not work.

You want to end poverty do this.

Secure the border, stop the influx of poverty for the 3rd world from slipping into this nation.

End mass legal immigration, we have too many people coming in who are unskilled and will use the welfare system cap it at 250,000 to 200,000.

Mandate Charter Schools and School Vouchers, allow education to innovative and give students a education they want.

End the Tax system that is used to punish businesses and reward theft and political cronyism and move to a fair tax.

End the Corporate income tax, why punish people who want to move or start a business in this nation or move to this nation?

Don`t do the following.

Steal wealth to make people conformable in poverty and exploit them for a vote every election cycle.

Import poverty stricken masses to use in class and race warfare to exploit them for a vote in every election cycle

Force kids into failing schools to keep special interest happy and produce class after class generation after generation of uneducated and dependent voters for the Democratic Party.

This poll says it is about 50%

Quote:
Really? So if you need them and they are their, well I guess that is the case for everyone is America, right?
Anecdotal evidence fallacy.

Really we dont respect them?

Are we the ones allowing in a endless wave of 3rd world poverty and crime into this nation?

Are we the ones give away funds for vet benefits to illegal immigrates?

Are we the ones forcing vets into a failed system of health care?

So because you own a Gun you are a part of our culture?

Hate you break it to you, but you are really not a part of or one of us..

How did you vote in the last election, what state do you live in?

Old 06-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
A great way to create new gun customers. Eddie Eagle/ Joe Camel.
How is teaching kids about gun safety creating a new customer?

Then again why is it wrong to put our point of view out to the youth?

Why is it only ok when people who want to infringed upon our most basic of rights to pervert the minds of the youth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies