Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
When did science stop being a method of learning and understanding the world around us to a means to frighten us and force us to change our way of life?

I'm just saying that a few hundred years ago people would preach to the masses about God's judgment upon them unless they changed their wicked ways.

Now we're told that the earth will wreak devastation upon us unless we change our ways.

Both doomsayers would seek to profit and gain notoriety from their dire warnings and seek followers in their beliefs.

No difference, we've not gone forward, we've gone backward.
This and some more of this.

The cult of MMGW sounds no different right now in their end of the world nonsense than any of the doomsayers in the West following the Supernova of 1006. Only real difference is who is bringing our judgment and which "authority" figures people are putting their faith in. All that's really happened now is replace "religious scholar" with "scientific expert" and the entire industry of apocalyptic hysteria is the same.

Glacial calving is a common, everyday, ho hum occurrence. When it's a big chunk, it's visually impressive, but not UNPRECEDENTED OMFGBBQZ TEH WORLD AM TEH ENDZ scary. Just ice melting at a fracture point, little chunk drops off bigger chunk. Crystalline structures (and for the scientifically challenged, ice is crystallized water) are not perfect matrices, and the imperfections create all kinds of fault lines. Sometimes, rare as it might be, the fault line is in a place where you end up with a big chunk like this. Sometimes a tornado is F5, sometimes a hurricane is devastating, sometimes earthquakes are >8.0 on the Richter scale, and sometimes, big giant blocks of ice crack and break.

Welcome to life on a ball of molten rock and iron surrounded by a crispy 35 mile thick shell, with an atmosphere of infinite variables and infinite complexity, being bombarded constantly by various forms of radiation from a ball of hot plasma that is around 93 million miles away. OMG, how unparalleled, that a sheet of ice didn't crack where experts predicted!!! OMFG!!!!!!!

I wonder if MMGW alarmists can hear how nutty they sound to rational people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Hard to deny that something is going on in the Arctic regions after watching this video.
What's going on is "Inter-Glacial Period."

I'll teach it to you the way it was taught to me in 5th Grade Natural Science.

If geological time is equated to days, then this is what happens on Earth every 10 Days:

Earth spends 1 Day melting glaciers;
Earth spends 1 Day warm;
Earth spends 1 Day growing glaciers;
Earth spends 7 days under a blanket of glaciers.

You're not going to deny that, are you?

Lather, Rinse Repeat....

Mircea

Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
They Took A Camera To A Remote Area In Greenland, And What They Recorded Is Simply Terrifying

This video is terrifying and spectacular at the same time. Hard to deny that something is going on in the Arctic regions after watching this video.

The reason the glacier calves? There is tons more behind it displacing it. You seem ignorant to the fact this happens year round at both poles. Find some videos of glaciers calving off the coast of Alaska.

The exact opposite of what you think is happening...there is more ice than can fit on the mainland so some must move.

How do you think the Great Lakes were formed?

FAIL!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The movement of the magnetic poles... Or has the poles remained the same and the mantle has moved?

Either way, it is the magnetic poles that determine the earths axis to the sun.
As the north pole move farther away from Greenland, I'm sure it will be warmer than just 100 years ago in Greenland.

I'd move too! It's too darn cold up there! Oh wait, global warming will take care of that... right after the Loch ness monster moves there too....

Al Gore making millions selling trees to balance out our carbon footprint while he spends 15 times my monthly power bill for a year in a month....

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
They Took A Camera To A Remote Area In Greenland, And What They Recorded Is Simply Terrifying

This video is terrifying and spectacular at the same time. Hard to deny that something is going on in the Arctic regions after watching this video.

uhm... errr.....uhhh....

you do realize that this exact thing has been happening for thousands upon thousands of years right?

right?

you do realize that the shocking thing would be if this DID NOT happen right????

Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What's going on is "Inter-Glacial Period."

I'll teach it to you the way it was taught to me in 5th Grade Natural Science.

If geological time is equated to days, then this is what happens on Earth every 10 Days:

Earth spends 1 Day melting glaciers;
Earth spends 1 Day warm;
Earth spends 1 Day growing glaciers;
Earth spends 7 days under a blanket of glaciers.

You're not going to deny that, are you?

Lather, Rinse Repeat....

Mircea
Another way to look at it, if put into the perspective of one calendar year: Summer would be a total of 48 days, Spring and Fall would be a week each, leaving the remaining 10 months as Winter. Enjoy those 48 days of Summer while you can, because Winter is coming.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'd move too! It's too darn cold up there! Oh wait, global warming will take care of that... right after the Loch ness monster moves there too....

Al Gore making millions selling trees to balance out our carbon footprint while he spends 15 times my monthly power bill for a year in a month....

Speaking of Loch Ness... That too was created by a glacier that melted because of climate change. LOL!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

The movement of the magnetic poles... Or has the poles remained the same and the mantle has moved?

Either way, it is the magnetic poles that determine the earths axis to the sun.
As the north pole move farther away from Greenland, I'm sure it will be warmer than just 100 years ago in Greenland.
I know someone else has corrected you and this. Just want to further clarify.

The magnetic poles control the earth's magnetic field. They are not aligned with the poles of the earths rotational axes. And yes the magnetic poles do move.

The earth rotates on what we call the axis. Like a top, to use the cliche.

Someone else did a great job explaining the latitudinal benchmarks. But needless to say, those great circles are based upon rotational axis, not the magnetic poles.

Dont know your educational level, and I do not mean this to be condescending in any way. But sometimes Google can be your friend. I use it all the time to fact check before I get involved in any discussion here or on other blog sites.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Both indicate where the tropics end - at 23.5° north (Tropic of Cancer) and south (Tropic of Capricorn) latitudes. Just as the Arctic and Antarctic Circles are at 66.5° north and south latitudes (90° - 23.5° = 66.5°). As long as Earth continues to rotate 23.5° off from the orbital plane, the Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn, Arctic Circle, and Antarctic Circle will remain static.

Great you told us where it is and that it is static.

Is that static, on a man made globe, or where the Suns northern and southern limits of travel @ the 23º tilt.

Why was Antarctica tropical at one time and the Sahara desert green and full of life.
Climate Change.

Use a big magnet, and call it the sun. Use a little magnet and call it earth. Get them close enough together so that the bigger magnet effects the smaller magnet.
Will the smaller magnet align on an axis with the magnetic poles of the larger magnet?

If the magnetic poles are moving, that would make it dynamic, not static.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:55 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
cool? Yes
Scary? only if you were standing on it when it started to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies