Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
Not an epic fail at all.
Does the ban on RPG's work? Can you easily get your hands on one? How hard is it for your average kid to get one? What about class 3 firearms like ak-47's? What shooter has used a semi-banned(class 3 license needed) firearm that is full auto? They could do WAY more damage/body count when they could simply spray full auto fire into a crowd. That's why those guns were banned without special permit successfully a long time ago.
First, the epic fail was aimed at Willy, because it was.

Now, to address your comment.

How easy is it to get your hands on 20 coca plants? You can't get any? Well, that means that the ban on cocaine works?

Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Quote:
Not an epic fail at all.
Does the ban on RPG's work? Can you easily get your hands on one? How hard is it for your average kid to get one? What about class 3 firearms like ak-47's? What shooter has used a semi-banned(class 3 license needed) firearm that is full auto? They could do WAY more damage/body count when they could simply spray full auto fire into a crowd. That's why those guns were banned without special permit successfully a long time ago.
If you want to inject some reality into your examples, let's say there were already ~100 million full-auto weapons and a like number of RPGs already distributed in US population - now try to ban them. Horse is out of the barn Einstein.

Have you priced full-auto guns in the US? You're probably talking $4 grand for a rock bottom price - maybe $8 grand for something in decent shape. What's the most expensive gun any of the whack jobs used? Maybe rich Santa Barbara boy had a premium hand gun? (I don't know)

US is supposed to be a democracy yet the anti-gun people overall get out voted by pro-gun folks. Maybe it is different next time, maybe not.

I have to quibble with this being called a mass shooting - 1 shooter killed one person and wounded another. Um, almost can't get any lower and still be a killing. Sorry to seem heartless but on average about 30 people get shot to death (homicides) every day in the US. We want that to decline, we have to address the real factors - crazy people willing to commit suicide, not ~100 year old technology.

You figure if there was a serious new gun ban, that could spur even more nut job shootings - gotta go out in a blaze of glory now! Then maybe things quiet down for a bit until the nut jobs start getting hacked 3D printers to make explosives, biological agents and nanobots...

Last edited by jayway; 06-10-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 PM

141 posts, read 116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
You do realize that fully automatic weapons are legal in the U.S. correct? In fact, I can make my ar/ak fully automatic in a matter of minutes if I wished to do so. I do not since it would be illegal without the proper paperwork. But you CAN own full automatic weapons legally. My buddies uncle has a fully automatic belt fed machine gun for christ sakes.

If you don't want to deal with the paperwork, you can go spend a couple hundred and attach this stock to your ar/ak and call it a day. And yes, it is completely legal in most states. Slide Fire Stock and Surefire 60 round Magazine - YouTube ooooh you are scared now eh?
Class 3 firearms dealer license. Very hard to get. And that's just for full auto.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:38 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Class 3 firearms dealer license. Very hard to get. And that's just for full auto.
You don't need a dealers license to BUY a class 3 firearm. You have to buy one FROM a class 3 dealer.

2. Application
3. tax stamp (I think $200)
4. Take it home and shoot it

I am not denying it is hard, and that it is very expensive. But none the less, they are available. And if you saw the youtube link I posted, there is very little need to do all that, when you can spend $200-400 (not sure the exact price) and get a slidefire stock that does virtually the same thing. In case you didn't see it Slide Fire Stock and Surefire 60 round Magazine - YouTube

Once again. You know not of what you speak.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:40 PM

390 posts, read 824,583 times
It used to be even easier to obtain a gun decades ago. Kids used to take rifles to school, and shoot rabbits on the walk home for dinner. Why weren't there weekly school shootings back then? Many cities in the old west were extremely violent, but that may have been a symptom of ineffective law enforcement at the time.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I'm quite safe here in Australia After the Port Arthur massacre, the govt took drastic gun control measures. How many mass shootings have we had since????
How many mass shootings were there in AU *before* the Port Arthur massacre? If there were some on a regular basis and then they stopped after the ban, you *might* have a point.

I am told that in the 50s-60s, full auto was unregulated in the US and you could buy "regular" guns via mail order, just send your money in and get your gun(s). (US Mail?) Yeah we had high gun violence back then too but it seems we are having even more issues in the current regulated environment than back in the unregulated age? What changed?

Old 06-10-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
You don't need a dealers license to BUY a class 3 firearm. You have to buy one FROM a class 3 dealer.

2. Application
3. tax stamp (I think $200)
4. Take it home and shoot it

I am not denying it is hard, and that it is very expensive. But none the less, they are available. And if you saw the youtube link I posted, there is very little need to do all that, when you can spend $200-400 (not sure the exact price) and get a slidefire stock that does virtually the same thing. In case you didn't see it Slide Fire Stock and Surefire 60 round Magazine - YouTube

Once again. You know not of what you speak.
Yeah I bet those kits jam like hell. Just another example of absurd gun laws that people are allowed to own a machine gun made before 1986. But again, HIGHLY difficult, expensive, and illegal in many states to own. Very hard to get your hands on compared to a handgun.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
It used to be even easier to obtain a gun decades ago. Kids used to take rifles to school, and shoot rabbits on the walk home for dinner. Why weren't there weekly school shootings back then? Many cities in the old west were extremely violent, but that may have been a symptom of ineffective law enforcement at the time.
School shootings are a new phenonmenon. Instant fame on 24/7 cable new network and internet age. Gun crime was actually higher back then. Look at murder rates.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
Quote:
Yeah I bet those kits jam like hell. Just another example of absurd gun laws that people are allowed to own a machine gun made before 1986. But again, HIGHLY difficult, expensive, and illegal in many states to own. Very hard to get your hands on compared to a handgun.
You know not of what you speak again. You have no idea what you're talking about AT ALL. Have you ever used one? Why would they jam like hell? I've never had a problem. You just watched a guy go through 60 rounds in a matter of seconds, did anything you saw there lead you to believe they jam? What does a stock have to do with a gun jamming mr gun expert? Do you know how that operates? Did you know I could do the same thing he's doing there without the kit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD213VW6WjY watch it before you speak out of your even more.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:55 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
First, the epic fail was aimed at Willy, because it was.

Now, to address your comment.

How easy is it to get your hands on 20 coca plants? You can't get any? Well, that means that the ban on cocaine works?
Pedro, yours is the epic fail for using a country like Mexico who is in term oil and chaos as a source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies