Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:03 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
It's both. It's guns in the hands of American people. Since it's clear that a sizable minority, for reasons of disenfranchisement, gain, anger, insanity etc. abuse firearms, it's a logical response to reduce and restrict the number and types of firearms available.

What's interesting is that, according to FBI statistics, an even larger group abuse blunt objects. I'm all about keeping firearms out and baseball bats of the hands of unstable people.

Doing that is a challenge.

Even more important than that is identifying and correctly treating violence prone individuals. Since a little more than half of all murders are committed under the influence of alcohol or drugs we could start there.

(The problem looks bigger and bigger the longer you study it.)

Old 06-10-2014, 09:11 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Simply untrue. Here is a little bit from a HARVARD study.

"In the 46-page study, which can be read in its entirety here, Kates and Mauser looked at and compared data from the U.S. and parts of Europe to show that stricter laws don’t mean there is less crime. As an example, when looking at “intentional deaths,” or murder, on an international scope, the U.S. falls behind Russia, Estonia, and four other countries, ranking it seventh. More specifically, data shows that in Russia, where guns are banned, the murder rate is significantly higher than in the U.S in comparison. “There is a compound assertion that guns are uniquely available in the United States compared with other modern developed nations, which is why the United States has by far the highest murder rate. Though these assertions have been endlessly repeated, [the latter] is, in fact, false and [the former] is substantially so,” the authors point out, based on their research."

You fail to point the finger at the real problem. Our culture in America, mental health issues, violent movies, video games, the media, etc. We have a real problem in America, and it is not the guns, it is the people.

Canada has 30.8 guns per person Less than 0.3% of all the firearms in Canada are used for a violent purpose (violent crime, suicide or accident). Physical force, knives and blunt instruments are the most common weapons involved in violent crime in Canada; firearms, of all types, are used in just 2%. Why isn't Canada having the same issues we are having?
Lol, Canada has 30.8 per 100 citizens, not 30.8 per person. I guess it takes an avid gun collector such as yourself to believe that the average Canadian citizen would/could own 31 guns.

The US is far and away the world leader in number of guns per capita--I think the total has actually increased since 2005, which is the year from which data for this table was obtained:

Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In one of your later posts in this thread, you cited Russia as having 8.9 guns per 100k people rather than per 100...you seem to really be struggling with the basic statistics here. First per citizen (when you wanted to think Canada was overflowing with guns and yet safer than the US)...then per 100k citizens (when someone pointed out to you that guns were in fact not banned in Russia as you originally argued).

Here's a proposal for you: If you get rid of all your guns, I'll buy you a calculator. I actually extend this offer to any gun owner in this country, so tell your friends.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Lol, Canada has 30.8 per 100 citizens, not 30.8 per person. I guess it takes an avid gun collector such as yourself to believe that the average Canadian citizen would/could own 31 guns.

The US is far and away the world leader in number of guns per capita--I think the total has actually increased since 2005, which is the year from which data for this table was obtained:

Number of guns per capita by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In one of your later posts in this thread, you cited Russia as having 8.9 guns per 100k people rather than per 100...you seem to really be struggling with the basic statistics here. First per citizen (when you wanted to think Canada was overflowing with guns and yet safer than the US)...then per 100k citizens (when someone pointed out to you that guns were in fact not banned in Russia as you originally argued).

Here's a proposal for you: If you get rid of all your guns, I'll buy you a calculator. I actually extend this offer to any gun owner in this country, so tell your friends.
Canada was copy and pasted. I missed it. Russia was my mistake, I was in a rush on my phone. I apologize for my simple mistake on a forum. I'm sure you have never made one. Move along now.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Canada was copy and pasted. I missed it. Russia was my mistake, I was in a rush on my phone. I apologize for my simple mistake on a forum. I'm sure you have never made one. Move along now.
The scale of those errors is massive. 30.8 guns per person in Canada versus roughly 3 out of 10 Canadians owning a single gun. 9 Russians per 100 vs. 9 per 100 THOUSAND. This isn't equivalent to a typo or some other minor error. Making errors that egregious does nothing for your credibility

Old 06-10-2014, 11:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
I agree with you. The problem is the Gun Right Denialists would drag the country into a bloody civil war before giving up their precious weapons.

Americans (both liberals and conservatives) worship their guns. They see the world through a paranoid lens and here is what you get. A massive arms race among the common citizenry, making guns easily accessible to anyone who in a fit of rage and anger, can go on a shooting rampage and inflict death and destruction in a matter of minutes.

Other 1st world nations which have entirely banned guns experience a fraction of the gun violence we do. But you can be rest assured the Gun Rights Denialists will come out after every shooting and blame everything under the sun (mental illness, Liberalism, moral decay, young entitled punks, not enough good guys with guns) except placing the blame squarely where it should lie.....our cultural obsession with guns and its easy accessibility
Why don't you flip your logic and replace gun grabbers for denialists? Are you also anti-Constitutional? Please read the document as you are clearly not familiar with it.

If the country gets dragged into a civil war fighting over the Constitution so be it. It's about time anyway as government is urinating on most of it.

I know several people who own firearms but no one who "worships" them. I don't know how one would go about doing so. What do you worship and how do you do so?

The rest of your rant is meaningless leftist blather. I liken it to a mosquito buzzing around my ears.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM

833 posts, read 1,198,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The scale of those errors is massive. 30.8 guns per person in Canada versus roughly 3 out of 10 Canadians owning a single gun. 9 Russians per 100 vs. 9 per 100 THOUSAND. This isn't equivalent to a typo or some other minor error. Making errors that egregious does nothing for your credibility
Dude. It's a forum not a newspaper error made for the masses. Who gives a crap? My credibility? Meh... I'll save that for the real world.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Even some people on the liberal end of the spectrum are starting to wake up as to why we need guns. It's to protect us from our OWN GOVERNMENT. That's not paranoia. The reality of government abusing their citizens happens over and over again throughout history. It's happening right now right under our noses.
If they want to get rid of their guns, that's their own business, but when they push for more useless gun control laws that will supposedly stop these shootings, that's when it becomes my business.

Tragedies like this do happen, and I'm sure it's not easy for any parent to lose their precious child, no matter what the circumstances are. I'm not sure who the shooter at that Troutdale school was, but if he was another high school student, he wasn't supposed to carry a weapon in the first place.

When I was in high school, I remember an incident where a student was stabbed to death by somebody else I think he was the same age, it didn't happen on the school grounds, but at a residence. The point is, I'm sure stabbings happen all the time throughout the country, and many of which are fatal, why aren't they being reported? Because there were no guns involved in such incidents.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:56 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
If they want to get rid of their guns, that's their own business, but when they push for more useless gun control laws that will supposedly stop these shootings, that's when it becomes my business.

Tragedies like this do happen, and I'm sure it's not easy for any parent to lose their precious child, no matter what the circumstances are. I'm not sure who the shooter at that Troutdale school was, but if he was another high school student, he wasn't supposed to carry a weapon in the first place.

When I was in high school, I remember an incident where a student was stabbed to death by somebody else I think he was the same age, it didn't happen on the school grounds, but at a residence. The point is, I'm sure stabbings happen all the time throughout the country, and many of which are fatal, why aren't they being reported? Because there were no guns involved in such incidents.
Mike,
I read he took a long gun to school. I think parents should be held responsible for this. It should have had a trigger guard, or been in a safe.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:56 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Mike,
I read he took a long gun to school. I think parents should be held responsible for this. It should have had a trigger guard, or been in a safe.
Thanks, and that's when hind-sight is always 20-20. I don't know what the circumstances were that led up to the shooting in troutdale, but you're right, when there are kids in the house, parents have a responsibility of supervision and keep firearms away from their kids, which is definitely different nowadays than the past (mid 1970s) when my parents did not have to worry about keeping my dad's 2 guns locked up. Heck, when I was 16-17, the only thing I wanted to do was drive my car and maybe go after 2 or 3 girls I liked in school.. and finishing high school of course.. and I didn't even think of taking one of my dad's guns and go shoot somebody in school I didn't like.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I posted this and others as they come up, because I remember driving by the high school here (Sparks, NV) where a 12 year old shot and killed an ex Marine teacher. When you think about the victims and their families it is a true current event tragedy. Here we have loss of life that should have been an after school fist fight at worst. No one seems to care much about these families loses and instantly tries to justify the 2nd amendment. How about how did the minor obtain the firearm?
My apologies if some think an incident that occurred yesterday is not a current event, but mods have been here and moved threads recently.
I wasn't directing my comment at this thread or you. I meant in general that the Current Events forum is stated as being a forum for non-controversial topics, non-political "with no partisan jabs"---and it usually is full of all of those things. Plus, has anyone noticed that most of the topics on Current Events are about violence? Apparently there aren't many other current events worth noting lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies