Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Did the leather glove shrink due to its having been drenched in blood?
I've owned several pairs of Isotoner gloves and they are designed to fit tightly. You have to work a bit to get them on. If a pair had become damp from anything, then stored wadded up in a plastic bag for weeks/months, then yes, I think it could be impossible to get them on even if they had once fit.

As far as I know, no one in the media or in the courtroom ever mentioned that, although plenty of people must have had a similar experience with their Isotoners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I've owned several pairs of Isotoner gloves and they are designed to fit tightly. You have to work a bit to get them on. If a pair had become damp from anything, then stored wadded up in a plastic bag for weeks/months, then yes, I think it could be impossible to get them on even if they had once fit.

As far as I know, no one in the media or in the courtroom ever mentioned that, although plenty of people must have had a similar experience with their Isotoners.
Correct. Leather gloves like Isotoners are snug fitting as it is. Get them wet, and it'll take double the time to get them on.

The Prosecution in this case was pretty bad, but i'm not sure they had much to work with. O.J.'s team of lawyers didn't cost him a couple of million for nothing. All of those guys from Bob Kardashian, F. Lee Bailey, Al Dershowitz, Bob Shapiro, and the star of the team, Johnny Cochran, were ALL brilliant lawyers. Clark and Darden are rookies compared to those guys.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Did the leather glove shrink due to its having been drenched in blood?
That was my thought, also. I was surprised it wasn't challenged by the prosecution.

I always thought he was guilty. I have known egomaniacs like him, and know well that they do not like NOT being in control. Nicole left him, and then had the nerve to start seeing other men; I'm sure that pissed OJ off. (he had to be the winner!)

To me, the trial was man against woman, not black against white. I didn't even really think of the race aspect until I heard it being played up that way on the news.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That was my thought, also. I was surprised it wasn't challenged by the prosecution.

I always thought he was guilty. I have known egomaniacs like him, and know well that they do not like NOT being in control. Nicole left him, and then had the nerve to start seeing other men; I'm sure that pissed OJ off. (he had to be the winner!)

To me, the trial was man against woman, not black against white. I didn't even really think of the race aspect until I heard it being played up that way on the news.
I was out of the country when the trial was going on, but my take on it was that race wasn't even a factor until the verdict was announced.

The really strange thing is this (and it's totally anecdotal on my part): every white person i knew (granted, i was living in an expat community) swore up and down that he'd be set free and every black person i knew thought that he'd be found guilty. So naturally i assumed that it was the same way in the states.

So here i am watching CNN the next day, and i'm seeing white folks p*ssed off when they all seemed to assume that he was gonna get off anyway (weird), and black folks either jubilant or somewhat insouciant about it when they all assumed he was going to jail. They probably assumed it because they never thought a black man could get off for murdering two white people. And of course, that's a reasonable assumption.

The real kicker is this: O.J. Simpson was never really beloved by black folks, especially in his post football career. His success was in his transcendence of race. He was beloved by white America (who of course won't admit that now), not black America. He was pure commercial gold with Madison Avenue, which is a lily white institution.

So his sudden rejection by whites and acceptance by blacks was the biggest comedy freakshow i've ever seen in American pop culture. I just laughed my ass off at the spectacle, and savored the fact that i was lucky to be living out of the country at the time...thank goodness.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
The prosecution was really weak. They never mentioned the O.J. car chase or the disguise they confiscated from his car.

They were also incredibly boring and spent weeks presenting a case they should have put in several days.

And did nobody think about talking to Mark Fuhrman before calling him as a witness?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Orenthal James Simpson got away with directly or indirectly causing the deaths of two people, but will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison for .... Basically stealing back his own stuff .... Karma is a Beyatch.

Even if he does get out he will be too old to beat on any more females.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
The OJ Trial…what a mess! I was 9 when the murders happened and really didn't follow the trial because I was really young. Because it was the 20th anniversary yesterday, I watched a few documentaries on it.

I agree with the verdict. There was reasonable doubt because the police were shady and the prosecution had blunder after blunder. That doesn't mean I don’t think OJ is innocent. I think he played some role in the double homicides.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The prosecution was really weak. They never mentioned the O.J. car chase or the disguise they confiscated from his car.

They were also incredibly boring and spent weeks presenting a case they should have put in several days.

And did nobody think about talking to Mark Fuhrman before calling him as a witness?

The car chase and the disguise were not allowed in as evidence, so the prosecution couldn't mention it. Who knows if they even would have if they had been able to...with the choices they made.

Marcia Clark had had many talks with Fuhrman, and the prosecution knew that putting Fuhrman on the stand might present a problem, not that he was a known "racist," but because the defense had located a few people with an axe to grind who were willing to swear they'd heard him say racist remarks in the past (that happened before the "Fuhrman tapes" surfaced, another dirty story where a screenplay brainstorming was presented an an "interview." Long story, and very far from Fuhrman's mind when he testified, according to himself). But then they had his partner, Brad Roberts, who had been present everywhere Fuhrman had been, had seen the same things, and even found additional evidence. So why didn't they put him on the stand instead? Because Vanatter didn't want him to testify. Read Fuhrman's Murder in Brentwood, 2nd edition with the added chapter--what an eye opener.

I understand that it's been 20 years, and many of the posters here weren't even watching TV in those days, but it is so frustrating to realize that the case has been reduced to a list of sound bites/bullet points (I don't mean you, Arjay! Just an observation in general ), after some of us, in the '90s, actually spent a lot of time acquainting ourselves with the ins-and-outs of the case. Yes, Simpson was guilty. There was no tampering with evidence, just prosecutorial incompetence. No, Fuhrman did not commit perjury--he lied about something that was irrelevant to the case. Perjury kicks in when a lie is material to the case, and Marcia Clark should have objected to F.Lee. Bailey's whole line of questioning, but either she was afraid of challenging Bailey, or her personal assumption that Fuhrman was a racist made her abandon him on the stand, and at that moment she lost her professional perspective, and the case.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:33 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The OJ Trial…what a mess! I was 9 when the murders happened and really didn't follow the trial because I was really young. Because it was the 20th anniversary yesterday, I watched a few documentaries on it.

I agree with the verdict. There was reasonable doubt because the police were shady and the prosecution had blunder after blunder. That doesn't mean I don’t think OJ is innocent. I think he played some role in the double homicides.
Given what little I saw (and as a sophomore in college, I only saw any of it because my roommate was interested), I assumed he'd be found not guilty, for the same reasons you wrote.

Still think OJ's a murderer, though.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 AM

49 posts, read 39,360 times
I did not follow this case closely because I was a kid. However, I do remember what the verdict meant to me. The verdict meant to me that the cops could not get away with profiling a Black guy. I'm Black. The cops have a negative history of racially profiling and blaming crimes on Blacks who are innocent. The result of the trial was just as racial polarizing for the kids at my school as the adults who watched the trial. Now I'm torn about the verdict. I don't have a strong opinion about the case because I don't remember the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies