Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 AM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times

Advertisements

According to Mitt we should all live like Papa John.

"Don’t you love this country? What a home this is, what grounds these are, the pool, the golf course," Romney told supporters. "Republicans come here and say everyone should live like this."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Give me rural living over both McMansions and urban areas.

Urban areas tend to be restrictive and McMansions tend to have strict HOAs, in the country I have almost total control over my land.
As it should be.

I am thinking of putting up a man cave in my backyard. I have a large lot with lots of trees, one tree is an spanish oak estimated to be 500 years old, so it would fit right in.

Man cave:

10'x10' area for me that is all mine. Air conditioned and heated so I can use it year around.

Small refrigerator for cold refreshments. Television and my computer. Places to hide stuff I am not supposed to eat.

An adjacent 10'x10' area with loft for storage of stuff we don't use but the wife will not allow me to toss.

A porch.

Short walk to the back door.

I can do it anytime and no permit needed.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
As it should be.

I am thinking of putting up a man cave in my backyard. I have a large lot with lots of trees, one tree is an spanish oak estimated to be 500 years old, so it would fit right in.

Man cave:

10'x10' area for me that is all mine. Air conditioned and heated so I can use it year around.

Small refrigerator for cold refreshments. Television and my computer. Places to hide stuff I am not supposed to eat.

An adjacent 10'x10' area with loft for storage of stuff we don't use but the wife will not allow me to toss.

A porch.

Short walk to the back door.

I can do it anytime and no permit needed.
But that said this looks good if only 1)I was single and 2)It was on the beach.

Architects Turned A Tiny 425-Square-Foot Loft Into A Dream Home

Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Political Polarization and Personal Life | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

It is an enduring stereotype – conservatives prefer suburban McMansions while liberals like urban enclaves – but one that is grounded in reality. Given the choice, three-quarters (75%) of consistent conservatives say they would opt to live in a community where “the houses are larger and farther apart, but schools, stores and restaurants are several miles away,” and just 22% say they’d choose to live where “the houses are smaller and closer to each other, but schools, stores and restaurants are within walking distance.” The preferences of consistent liberals are almost the exact inverse, with 77% preferring the smaller house closer to amenities, and just 21% opting for more square footage farther away.
What I took away from this polling information is this is another indication of conservative self delusion.

conservatives say they prefer to live in rural or small towns by huge margins, yet based on where they actually live, that is not true.

Anyone can take a look at interactive maps of where Americans live, and the reality is that more and more Americans live in big cities or the suburbs of big cities, and fewer and fewer American live in rural areas.

Yet despite this reality, conservatives have deluded themselves into believing they prefer living in small towns and rural areas at the moment the fewest Americans live in either place.

This is what the nation is confronting a group of zealots who are completely blind to their own nation's reality.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Be sure and check with the township too.

Many people move out in the sticks with the idea the are no codes......sometimes they are very disappointed.
No worries, the neighborhood I live in (no townships here) is an older, established suburban area with mainly middle class folks. We have no HOA so I can do as I please when it comes to fixing my cars or doing any other handiwork. I wouldn't put a range out here though.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Political Polarization and Personal Life | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

It is an enduring stereotype – conservatives prefer suburban McMansions while liberals like urban enclaves – but one that is grounded in reality. Given the choice, three-quarters (75%) of consistent conservatives say they would opt to live in a community where “the houses are larger and farther apart, but schools, stores and restaurants are several miles away,” and just 22% say they’d choose to live where “the houses are smaller and closer to each other, but schools, stores and restaurants are within walking distance.” The preferences of consistent liberals are almost the exact inverse, with 77% preferring the smaller house closer to amenities, and just 21% opting for more square footage farther away.
Man oh man!

I got the best of both. Big house with a large lawn, set way back off the street, and only a mile's walk to downtown.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Makes sense to me. We just built a big house on a big parcel way out in DC suburbia and we shutter to think that anyone could consider "being able to walk to Walgreens" an attractive amenity in home buying. Gag!!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Al Gore lives in a 10,000 sq. ft. mansion that leaves a huge carbon footprint and contributes to "global warming".

That is an inconvenient truth for the AGW alarmists.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:13 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,651 times
Interesting study. Rural areas are bastions of faith and thus conservatism in this country, so I'm not surprised. It's likely why conservatism is so held back by the focus on abortion in this country.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
According to Mitt we should all live like Papa John.

"Don’t you love this country? What a home this is, what grounds these are, the pool, the golf course," Romney told supporters. "Republicans come here and say everyone should live like this."

Dear Republicans, how then should the poor live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies