Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
And watch the low IQ low-information voters blame it on the legal system.

She had the choice to defend or not defend the rapist. She chose to defend him, knowing he was guilty.

Say no more................

Only to those who don't care if children are raped.
I think Zimmerman was guilty, but I don't blame his attorney for defending a killer, I so however blame the prosecution for not proving without a reasonable doubt that he was guilty.

This is how our law system works, sorry if you don't like what our founding fathers created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Again- that is why it is a LEGAL SYSTEM, not a JUSTICE SYSTEM. Ideally, a legal system and a justice system should be one in the same. When we have a legal system releasing known criminals, it is far from a justice system.

When there is deviation from what is legal and what is just, it sets the stage for alternative, or vigalante forms of justice.

Let's say I had a close relative who was a victim of a violent crime. The assailant, due to the legal system, was released as "the state could not prove the case". What would I do? I would hunt them down and kill them. Of course, in our "legal system", I would certainly be convicted, despite having achieved justice.
Let's say you are arrested for murder, and everyone thinks you did it, but you know you didn't do it, would you want a lawyer to defend you even though everyone thinks you are guilty?

You can badmouth our system all you want, but a person is innocent until proven guilty which means it is the prosecution's job to prove that, and in this case they clearly failed to do that.

You would not have achieved justice, you would have achieved revenge. What if you thought that person was guilty, when in fact they were not. Then you just murdered an innocent person over your own problem with blind rage.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:37 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Again- that is why it is a LEGAL SYSTEM, not a JUSTICE SYSTEM. Ideally, a legal system and a justice system should be one in the same. When we have a legal system releasing known criminals, it is far from a justice system.
You are suddenly very much backing the state over the individual, it is fascinating.

Quote:
Let's say I had a close relative who was a victim of a violent crime. The assailant, due to the legal system, was released as "the state could not prove the case". What would I do? I would hunt them down and kill them. Of course, in our "legal system", I would certainly be convicted, despite having achieved justice.
Good. If the state can't prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, what makes you so sure you have the right guy? (I'm sure you will now dream up a hypothetical. Have at it.) The cornerstone of a legal system is that criminals have rights, too. One of them is to be tried in front of a jury of their peers.

Gladstone said it - "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" - and he was right. If there is to be any faith in the legal system, we have to make damn sure that the state doesn't hand out punishment on a whim. That puts the state at a higher level than the criminal, which is where it should be. Once we get to the stage where we don't bother with due process and evidence because "Of course the guy is guilty", we may as well not have a legal system in the first place.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 06-16-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
The Hillary Tapes | Washington Free Beacon

Her job as a lawyer or not, she had a choice to take this case or not it seems. She took it, knew he was guilty, yet worked to get him off with a slap on the wrist. I dont care if it was her job, you cant have morals or good character to knowingly free a child rapist.

Good read on this at the link above.

You dont change DC for the better by electing people like this. You Hillary supporters must be so proud. Along with her not having accomplishments worthy of being President, why on earth would you want someone like this in DC, let alone as our, as your President?
It's our court system. Get over it. We can't decide what about our system is good and bad only when it's convenient for us. If the circumstance were flipped, and he was innocent, and didn't have the right to representation is court, that would be completely unfair. Yeah, in an individual case, it sucks that rapists have the opportunity and have actually avoided any real punishment, but in the long run, the system we have has more benefits than downfalls.

It was Hillary's job to represent him. Morals aside, she was doing her duty to the court system we have. Rather or not she believes it right for him to be let free or not is pointless; the court of law says he has the right to a lawyer. She was only upholding a man's constitutional rights.

I don't normally make cheap shots like this, but why is a Republican supporting gun rights a hero but a Democrat supporting the right to fair trial a monster? There's no difference.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, it's not. It reeks of desperation.
It does and I'm not sure why. Hillary is very beatable. She has a record that can easily be attacked. Drudging up 40 year old stories about her doing her job is almost as pathetic as the Post drudging up Mitt Romney's high school antics.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
It was Hillary's job to represent him. Morals aside, she was doing her duty to the court system we have.
As I see it, there's no "morals aside" there. The lawyer's moral obligation is to mount the best possible defense. Not even in duty to the defendant, but in duty to the system. If we allow defense lawyers to make a half-assed job of it when they think their client is guilty, we de facto take away trial by jury.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:44 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,189 times
Seeing the Democrats trying to damage control this is hilarious! Same thing they tried with to do with Benghazi, first try to deny it and then try to brush it under the rug by bringing up something completely unrelated to the issue. Deflect and Distract, it worked for the Obama administration all these years, they think it will work for her as well. Can't blame them for trying, because that's all they got, they have no chance of winning the White House or even The House Majority for that matter. The Democrats are finished.

Dr. Ben Carson is so going to mop the floor with her. It's going to be awesome!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Seeing the Democrats trying to damage control this is hilarious! Same thing they tried with to do with Benghazi, first try to deny it and then try to brush it under the rug by bringing up something completely unrelated to the issue. Deflect and Distract, it worked for the Obama administration all these years, they think it will work for her as well. Can't blame them for trying, because that's all they got, they have no chance of winning the White House or even The House Majority for that matter. The Democrats are finished.

Damage control what? All I am seeing is a bunch of right wingers who have no understanding of our legal system.

I thought Zimmerman was guilty, so does that mean he didn't have the right to a fair trial and a lawyer?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:

I can see the debate now.

Dr. Ben Carson: H. Clinton defended a child molester that she knew/thought was guilty!
H. Clinton: Dr. Ben Carson treated a child molester/rapist/murderer, cop killer, etc.

<shrug>

Why do you hate the constitution so much?. Based on your post I can only assume you are an immigrant, so I'm willing to give you a pass. Please read up on the nation's laws before you start criticizing the way we do things... Silly liberal

Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:

Damage control? No, it's the Hillary haters desperation that is laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies