Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,496 times

Advertisements

I think its a myth about all these poor people having children. Look at the overall birth rate in this country. Then go down to the local Walmart. It sure doesn't look like it did 8 years ago. Schools will soon be dealing with shrinking populations. There was probably more irresponsibility in the mid-50s with people having children they couldn't afford than now. Of course back then children simply went hungry or went to schools with shoes and clothes that were worn out hand me downs more than now. I am in a small town now and I can guarantee more people will die than be born in the next 10 years. Take a look at this article. By the way someone having a child they couldn't afford would be a plus in this town because of outside money coming in for schools, snap, Medicaid, etc. Not a whole lot different than the government money seniors collect.

Fertility Gap: Census Says More Deaths, Fewer Births in U.S. in 2013 - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
There is another dimension to all of this.

There is a lot of overlap between the group that is completely pro life/anti abortion, and the group that says hard and fast, it is wrong to have kids if you need assistance. But you KNOW that despite people's efforts, women are going to conceive.

99% birth control success amongst millions of poor women still means hundreds of accidental babies.

So what then? It is "wrong" to abort the baby, but it is "wrong" to have it if she can't care for it herself. Where is the give and take? This is real life. What should she do?

These scenarios are where I start to sympthize with the leftist claims that right leaners "hate poor people." Well, we don't. We want everything doing the very best that they can, and know that many aren't. But with a large population, there will always be thousands who DID do the right things, and are still in a bad situation.

Can you honestly just ignore that?
What I would propose might seem extreme and hateful but...If a woman has more than three children CONTINUOUSLY supported by the government, then do what lots of responsible couples do. Permanent birth control, i.e. tubal sterilization. Sounds harsh, but lots of people choose this when they have had all the children they can afford. The same should apply to men if they can be linked to several pregnancies. Vasectomies are great for getting rid of unplanned pregnancy. Ok. Fire away.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If we started giving a darn about the poor, they would have less children.

Poor people have more children than well-off people. This is due to access to financial opportunities, education, health care, and other things.

It has little to do with government; as this statement remains true in third world countries.

Put it simply: uplift the poor if we want less welfare babies.
If we started giving a darn about the poor, they would have less children? So sentient, aware, reasoning adults having more children is OUR problem and not THEIR problem. Is that what you are saying? Blame society for personal choices and not the individual. How very progressive of you.

If your solution is to uplift the poor then you would have to question the policies of the current administration, that have focused more on opening the pandoras box of extensive social safety net programs (which virtually guarantee continued poverty and dependence) as opposed to focusing on moving people from welfare to work and opposed to focusing on job creation in general.

You would also have to question what the administration is doing (and not doing) to improve educational opportunities for those children slated to be educated in the public school system.

In addition to those questions you should ask yourself why your knee-jerk reaction is to blame society when adults choose to have children that they cannot afford, and not the individuals themselves. Also ask yourself how that perspective is actually helping adults as opposed to simply excuse making for them, letting them off the hook for the personal choices that they have made, and treating them as if they were dependent, wayward children who need to be protected and coddled, as opposed to the adult citizens that they really are.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Except for when they are on purpose.

You didn't answer the question, though, unless you were saying don't have sex if you are poor, in case you are in the percentage of birth control failures. Now THAT I find extreme.
When I was poor I was working not to be poor.

I was to exhausted to have sex......it worked out very well for me.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
If we started giving a darn about the poor, they would have less children? So sentient, aware, reasoning adults having more children is OUR problem and not THEIR problem. Is that what you are saying? Blame society for personal choices and not the individual. How very progressive of you.

If your solution is to uplift the poor then you would have to question the policies of the current administration, that have focused more on opening the pandoras box of extensive social safety net programs (which virtually guarantee continued poverty and dependence) as opposed to focusing on moving people from welfare to work and opposed to focusing on job creation in general.

You would also have to question what the administration is doing (and not doing) to improve educational opportunities for those children slated to be educated in the public school system.

In addition to those questions you should ask yourself why your knee-jerk reaction is to blame society when adults choose to have children that they cannot afford, and not the individuals themselves. Also ask yourself how that perspective is actually helping adults as opposed to simply excuse making for them, letting them off the hook for the personal choices that they have made, and treating them as if they were dependent, wayward children who need to be protected and coddled, as opposed to the adult citizens that they really are.
Wow!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Yes, it's morally, socially, and financially wrong. America should not tolerate the blight of parents/people with zero personal responsibility.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:09 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
no problem. we'll just import a few million new democrats from honduras and el salvador.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It does not matter what you or anyone else thinks, the choice of couples to have children is their business and you along with everyone else should stay out of their bedroom, their vaginas and their lives and keep your opinions to yourself.

I think the better question would be:

Is it morally wrong to dictate and judge how others live their lives when your own life needs tended to first?
This post is disgusting. Absolutely putrid through and through. I despise people who think this way.

You have your opinion, and I have mine.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
It is plain stupid and irresponsible. My mother made our lives a living hell because she never had her crap together. She brought us into the world to have us suffer in poverty right along with her.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
100% agree to not bring children in if you can't afford them. I'd also extend that out to not having children if you live in an area with limited potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies