Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:20 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
2014, possibly. 1930? Definitely would be happening. Anti Semites were rampant in this country. Many Jews fleeing Germany were denied entry to the US. Look at the St Louis. A ship sailed here, full of Jews. It was turned away.

However, I really don't things would be much different now. I really don't. Racism and bigotry will always be with us.
Your post was referring to pre-WWII or now?

If the 1930's then yes, otherwise my post stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've lived in France before. I speak French fluently and have since childhood, so no language difficulties. I didn't experience overt anti-Semitism there; I heard some people make remarks from time to time, but nothing more offensive than what I hear here in the US.
That's what I was thinking. I doubt that France is anymore anti Jewish than most anywhere else.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Seriously? How about contributing something to the debate.
He did contribute something. It was a fair question.

Exactly what do you expect the French to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Unlike France, the Nazis never occupied the U.S., though.

Had the Nazis somehow magically managed to occupy the U.S., then there might have unfortunately been some Americans who would have helped the Nazis round up Jews for extermination.
Some Americans?

Lol...that's magnanimous.

Quote:
No mights. I guarantee some Americans would gladly and proactively helped round up Jews. Probably more so then the French.
And that's just for starters.

They would've helped the Nazis kill a lot more than just the Jews.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Some Americans?

Lol...that's magnanimous.
I don't see how that is funny or magnanimous. Just like in any Nazi occupied country, there were some good people and some bad people in regards to their responses to the Holocaust. I don't see how the U.S. would have been different in such a scenario, and just like in other countries, some Americans would have saved Jews by hiding them, refusing to help the Nazis hunt them down, et cetera.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's what I was thinking. I doubt that France is anymore anti Jewish than most anywhere else.
I would think that some/many/most Muslim-majority countries are (much) more anti-Semitic than France is.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
After losing one battle, the whole french army, more than 2 million soldiers still almost unharmed, quickly surrendered. Churchill later wrote that the french said they were afraid of "infuriating the enemy".
Sickle-Cut appears to have been a very bad loss for France, being encircled by the Nazis and whatnot.

However, please tell me how exactly France would have been able to defeat the Nazis after the Nazis' Sickle-Cut plan succeeded.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
1. France was not as much beaten by German military as taken by surprise then collectively stood there and wet their pants after the Maginot line was out maneuvered.

2. The French will claim they surrendered to spare Paris and other major cities from the fate of London, being bombed to bits. Fair enough one supposes; but when a country is occupied twice by the same forces in <80 years one begins to wonder about their mettle.
1. I agree that had France made better decisions and moves, then France would not have lost. However, France due to making stupid decisions and moves, France does appear to have lost in 1940, though more due to its own stupidity than due to the Nazis' military might.

2. I seriously doubt that refusing to surrender would have made a difference in regards to France proper in 1940. The French government could have retreated to North Africa, but the Nazis would have still won in France proper (European France).

Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I don't see how that is funny or magnanimous. Just like in any Nazi occupied country, there were some good people and some bad people in regards to their responses to the Holocaust. I don't see how the U.S. would have been different in such a scenario, and just like in other countries, some Americans would have saved Jews by hiding them, refusing to help the Nazis hunt them down, et cetera.
Let's just say that you have more faith in Americans than I do.

Had the Germans been victorious and landed on our soil, I think a Holocaust would've been just as easy to accomplish here than in Europe. And Jews would've been just the beginning.

Look, it's just my opinion.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
No mights. I guarantee some Americans would gladly and proactively helped round up Jews. Probably more so then the French.
OK--I should have phrased that better. There would have, with virtually 100% certainty, been some Americans who would have helped the Nazis round up Jews in such a scenario.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Many Jews are ultra liberal. Try again...

Ironic, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies