Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:15 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

This is what people want. I've complained about this since 2001 and people call me "paranoid" and say they need "security" and that if you're not doing anything wrong what does it matter? Here are a few good ones I've heard "Just because they wear camouflage doesn't mean they're soldiers; the tank is just another 'toy' for the police department, it doesn't make them paramilitary; the police need those [sub-machine guns] to fight terrorist and drug cartels; tasers are safe, this is just one bad example; [flash bang grenades] reduce the risk of injury to everyone." Of course I'm paraphrasing but it has all been the same excuses. Now we live in a country where police blow up babies with grenades and it's no big thang: thanks years of complete and utter stupidity from the American Public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Unfortunate that this child must suffer due to the choices of his relatives.

unfortunate that this child, and thousands of others, must suffer from militarized LEOs who think they're Rambo against the citizens who pay for their damn weapons and salaries. The new breed of Cop who have decided that people are guilty until proven innocent, who enter with flash bangs instead of a knock on the door like civil people. Who shoot dogs because it's SOP.

Yea, let's blame the bad choices of this babies relatives, because that's what is most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is what people want. I've complained about this since 2001 and people call me "paranoid" and say they need "security" and that if you're not doing anything wrong what does it matter? Here are a few good ones I've heard "Just because they wear camouflage doesn't mean they're soldiers; the tank is just another 'toy' for the police department, it doesn't make them paramilitary; the police need those [sub-machine guns] to fight terrorist and drug cartels; tasers are safe, this is just one bad example; [flash bang grenades] reduce the risk of injury to everyone." Of course I'm paraphrasing but it has all been the same excuses. Now we live in a country where police blow up babies with grenades and it's no big thang: thanks years of complete and utter stupidity from the American Public.
People have lost their right to expect any security because they're so quick to give up every other right. Ben Franklin called these morons out 230 years ago, and he nailed it!

Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Screw decriminalization! It is a band aid. Decriminalization is NOT legalization and therefore still keeps the black market surrounding said substances (cannabis being one of them) in play, and in control. There is no rhyme or reason for cannabis especially to continue to be illegal, cultivated, or consumed!
Agree with you, but you can't pick and choose.

The reason ALL drugs need to be legalized is for the very reason of safety. It's illegal to distill alcohol, but it's legalized as a drug. Why shouldn't there be legal taxable entities where addicts can get safer drugs? It would all but stop drug related crimes, gut the black market, and would cut down the addiction component. A fact nobody seems to understand is that most deaths are from the cut in the drug, not the drug itself. Some of these idiot dealers use things like rat poisoning and detergents. It's a very sick world out there.

It has worked in several countries, and been proven a win/win. Use the money saved on drug enforcement to start rehabilitation and awareness programs.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:06 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times
I beat the 'snot' out of a cop once in my back yard!
(my brother)

He agrees that there should be more busting down of doors and Dog Killin .. can't forget the Dog Killin!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Barney Fife Meets Delta Force

Nestled awkwardly among the usual guff, the outrage website Salon this week took a welcome flyer and accorded space to something genuinely alarming. “A SWAT team,” the headline screamed, “blew a hole in my 2-year-old son.” For once, this wasn’t hyperbole.

The piece’s author, Alecia Phonesavanh, described what it felt like to be on the business end of an attack that was launched in error by police who believed a drug dealer to be living and operating in her house. They “threw a flashbang grenade inside,” she reported. It “landed in my son’s crib.” Now, her son is “covered in burns” and has “a hole in his chest that exposes his ribs.” So badly injured was he by the raid that he was “placed into a medically induced coma.” “They searched for drugs,” Phonesavanh confirmed, but they “never found any.” Nor, for that matter, did they find the person they were looking for. He doesn’t live there. “All of this,” she asks, “to find a small amount of drugs?”

Historians looking back at this period in America’s development will consider it to be profoundly odd that at the exact moment when violent crime hit a 50-year low, the nation’s police departments began to gear up as if the country were expecting invasion — and, on occasion, to behave as if one were underway. The ACLU reported recently that SWAT teams in the United States conduct around 45,000 raids each year, only 7 percent of which have anything whatsoever to do with the hostage situations with which those teams were assembled to contend. Paramilitary operations, the ACLU concluded, are “happening in about 124 homes every day — or more likely every night” — and four in five of those are performed in order that authorities might “search homes, usually for drugs.” Such raids routinely involve “armored personnel carriers,” “military equipment like battering rams,” and “flashbang grenades.”

Barney Fife Meets Delta Force | National Review Online

Old 06-28-2014, 10:21 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Then I'd like to see evidence of those specific instructions handed down to local police departments.

The fact is that local police forces have been developing these tactics for quite some time. It starts off with warrants being served the old fashioned way and a few cops get shot. They start kicking in doors with revolvers drawn. They start using their swat teams instead of regular cops. They start using flash bang grenades and smoke. They start wearing body armor. They get more and more paranoid and more insular. Soon, warrants are being served like they're attacking a fortress being held by a regiment of Russian paratroopers. This didn't suddenly just escalate (although I think it started moving faster after 9/11 and more police forces getting more money to buy more of the stuff they need to carry out raids like this), it's been slowly simmering for decades.
Federal grant money is usually a good motivator for this kind of thing. After the PA it has only gotten much worse. These kind of stories are not comforting. Now they are buying drones? I don't think that will make anybody more accountable.

Press TV: Tragedy of US police training by Israeli companies ...

Those so-called training videos are special also.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:25 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

unfortunate that this child, and thousands of others, must suffer from militarized LEOs who think they're Rambo against the citizens who pay for their damn weapons and salaries. The new breed of Cop who have decided that people are guilty until proven innocent, who enter with flash bangs instead of a knock on the door like civil people. Who shoot dogs because it's SOP.
And now these SWAT teams are saying they're private organizations not subject to public oversight. Thank God the ACLU is standing up to that assertion for us.

ACLU sues Massachusetts SWAT team agency, demanding public accountability | ACLU of Massachusetts

Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Federal grant money is usually a good motivator for this kind of thing. After the PA it has only gotten much worse. These kind of stories are not comforting. Now they are buying drones? I don't think that will make anybody more accountable.

Press TV: Tragedy of US police training by Israeli companies ...

Those so-called training videos are special also.
owe u a rep cant do it yet apparently...

FAKE drills in Miami also... the sheep better wake up.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by steven_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And now these SWAT teams are saying they're private organizations not subject to public oversight. Thank God the ACLU is standing up to that assertion for us.

ACLU sues Massachusetts SWAT team agency, demanding public accountability | ACLU of Massachusetts
The ACLU comes through every now and then. It would be nice if they were more consistent with regards to the civil liberties of everyone, wouldn't it?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:33 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-29-2014 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies