Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times

Advertisements

Heard this topic on the news the other day and did a little looking:

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

Noncompete agreements are spreading beyond the high-tech and sales fields to professions such as hair stylists, camp counselors, yoga instructors and exterminators.

As noncompete clauses proliferate, at least one lawyer has seen an increase in litigation to enforce the agreements, the New York Times reports. “Companies are spending money, hiring lawyers, to go after people—just to put the fear of death in them,” Manhattan employment lawyer Wendi Lazar told the newspaper.

A hair salon in Norwell, Mass., obtained an injunction requiring hairstylist Daniel McKinnon to stop working at a nearby salon because he had signed a noncompete that barred him from working at any salon in nearby towns for one year.

After the ruling, McKinnon survived for a year on unemployment benefits of $300 a week. “It was pretty lousy that you would take away someone’s livelihood like that,” he told the Times. “I almost lost my truck. I almost lost my apartment. Almost everything came sweeping out from under me.”

A proposed bill in Massachusetts aims to change the situation for employees like McKinnon. The bill, which passed a House committee, would ban most noncompetes while including restrictions to help protect the loss of trade secrets when employees change jobs.

Currently only California and North Dakota ban noncompete clauses, the story says. Courts in most states won’t enforce the deals, however, unless there is a legitimate business reason for the agreement, it is narrowly tailored, and it is reasonable in scope and duration.

Say what? Camp counselors? Hairdressers? Exterminators?

I say this is nothing other than an attempt by businesses to create a new form of serfdom, where employees become thralls to the new corporate barons.

What makes me think this trend started with an article in Inc Magazine?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from right wingers who kneel in adoration of free market capitalism, and so defend businesses at every opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Non compete agreements have been around for decades. Its not something new.

Just because you are only now learning of them doesn't make them new.

It makes sense that if someone is going to take the time to train someone that they want to make sure the trainee doesn't just up and leave once trained to work or compete against them.

The idea may be spreading as I don't know every instance but they have long been used in the hair care and landscaping industry.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Non compete agreements have been around for decades. Its not something new.

Just because you are only now learning of them doesn't make them new.

It makes sense that if someone is going to take the time to train someone that they want to make sure the trainee doesn't just up and leave once trained to work or compete against them.

The idea may be spreading as I don't know every instance but they have long been used in the hair care and landscaping industry.
I think the later is the problem, not the former. We've known of no-competes in some professions, now it is more and more often in places where maybe it shouldn't be. Should a cashier be barred from being a cashier elsewhere when that is their experience?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the later is the problem, not the former. We've known of no-competes in some professions, now it is more and more often in places where maybe it shouldn't be. Should a cashier be barred from being a cashier elsewhere when that is their experience?
I don't know. Are they?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Non compete clauses are nothing new....though I do agree that they should be banned because they hurt working Americans more than they do businesses.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Cashiering is a non skilled job and there's no trade secrets about tapping buttons on a register.

Non-compete is clearly defined in the paperwork you sign when offered a job.
Reading is fundamental and very few Americans do that anymore.

They sign away their lives and they cry foul when what they signed comes back to bite them.

Understand the use of non-compete before going off saying min wage cashiers could get caught up in this.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
the original intent of non compete agreements was to prevent someone from opening a similar business right next door to where they started, and poaching the customers. they were also designed to prevent someone from working in say the aerospace industry for boeing, and then moving to say general dynamics to work on similar projects and taking boeing trade secrets with them.

but i also agree that for the most part non compete agreements need to be either banned, or severely restricted so that people dont lose their lively hood because they decided to change employers.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Key words "she signed"

You don't have to work for a company with a non competition agreement. I moved from T-Mobile to AT&T and I signed one at both companies.

Generally if you leave under good terms and put in a notice, you aren't going to have any trouble.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Non-competes vary from being just irritating to a serious hindrance to finding employment. The laws vary from state to state. But I think that the non-compete restrictions placed upon a person can be legally defended if the person received something from the employer as part of the agreement. It could be equity, severance, etc. If the employer offers nothing then I understand it is difficult to enforce.

Confidentiality of trade secrets is a completely separate issue though it is often grouped with non-competes. It is reasonable and legal to require that a person not divulge trade secrets with a future employer.

A non-compete in hair care is all about taking customers - so this is no different than the non-competes placed on sales people.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Heard this topic on the news the other day and did a little looking:

SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE

Noncompete agreements are spreading beyond the high-tech and sales fields to professions such as hair stylists, camp counselors, yoga instructors and exterminators.

As noncompete clauses proliferate, at least one lawyer has seen an increase in litigation to enforce the agreements, the New York Times reports. “Companies are spending money, hiring lawyers, to go after people—just to put the fear of death in them,” Manhattan employment lawyer Wendi Lazar told the newspaper.

A hair salon in Norwell, Mass., obtained an injunction requiring hairstylist Daniel McKinnon to stop working at a nearby salon because he had signed a noncompete that barred him from working at any salon in nearby towns for one year.

After the ruling, McKinnon survived for a year on unemployment benefits of $300 a week. “It was pretty lousy that you would take away someone’s livelihood like that,” he told the Times. “I almost lost my truck. I almost lost my apartment. Almost everything came sweeping out from under me.”

A proposed bill in Massachusetts aims to change the situation for employees like McKinnon. The bill, which passed a House committee, would ban most noncompetes while including restrictions to help protect the loss of trade secrets when employees change jobs.

Currently only California and North Dakota ban noncompete clauses, the story says. Courts in most states won’t enforce the deals, however, unless there is a legitimate business reason for the agreement, it is narrowly tailored, and it is reasonable in scope and duration.

Say what? Camp counselors? Hairdressers? Exterminators?

I say this is nothing other than an attempt by businesses to create a new form of serfdom, where employees become thralls to the new corporate barons.

What makes me think this trend started with an article in Inc Magazine?

I'm particularly interested in hearing from right wingers who kneel in adoration of free market capitalism, and so defend businesses at every opportunity.

It is not anything new.

I work in the building trades and it is not uncommon if you read a sub-contract agreement, with a retail store for installed labor. Cabinets, Painting, Flooring, Landscaping read it really good, because there maybe a no compete clause. Meaning you are their employee, you cannot go and install anything in that town or you are competing with them, but they are going to call you a subcontractor to skate all liability.
They will tell you, the so called contractor, sub-contracting, What, When, Where, How and tell you what to use. They will control every aspect of your business.
No compete clauses are out there. The companies Home Depot & Lowe's use for their installations, have all their subcontractors sign a no compete clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies