Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:10 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,413,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I don't hide the fact that I do not like when people soak other hard working Americans and think they are entitled. Do you think doing so is something to be proud of?

If I steal money from you are you gonna love me?
Sigh. Do you understand the difference between participating in a discussion, and just yelling your hatred towards a group?

And really? you feel soaked? You're amongst the lowest taxed people in the developed world. You know that right? AND at some of the lowest tax rates in this country in the last couple of generations.

And yet...you are frothing at the mouth angry.

We are a society, not a Ayn Rand fantasy novel.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:14 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,212,101 times
Quote:
I don't hide the fact that I do not like when people soak other hard working Americans and think they are entitled. Do you think doing so is something to be proud of?

Final comment: Please tell your friends in the red states to stop soaking us then (as studies have proven). We still like them despite that fact. We are all still Americans first...liberals, moderates, or conservatives second.

Thank you and enjoy your 4th of July weekend (and everyone else too)!

Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM

139 posts, read 85,819 times
Quote:

How is it you liken paying taxes to being stolen from? We all benefit from the taxes we pay, perhaps not equally, but we benefit nonetheless.

Fellow Americans who've fallen on hard times should not be considered entitled, but should instead be empathized with and supported. We never know when life will deal us a bad hand.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,296,648 times
Quote:

No, but your generalizations of what "all" liberals do and think is just that--a generalization. In logic, it is called a 'hasty generalization' and is classified as faulty logic. I find it extremely obnoxious when people claim to know what all people think. And, frankly, I disagree with you that liberals want to 'take' and 'steal' from you. I am liberal. I work hard and have worked all of my adult life. I own things that I have paid for. I pay taxes. I don't object to helping people who are less fortunate and I don't look at them as "thieves" who are stealing from me.

I find it extremely bizarre that people (who may also call themselves "christians") are so nasty, ruthless and heartless that they assume all people who need to use a safety net or need help are out to steal from others or to take advantage of them. That is a ridiculously egocentric view. I am not naive and I know there are people who game the system. I don't really take it personally, and do not resent and hate those people the way some do. I know there are also greedy corporations and business people who will also take advantage of others and rip you off whenever they can if it means they will acquire more money or property.

I also really resent being judged by others and thrown into a group of people, some of whom with which I have nothing in common. When people say "liberals do this" or "liberals think that" it really irritates me as it is so wrongheaded, illogical and ignorant. People are individuals, and I would appreciate it if others would stop telling me what I think simply because of my political affiliation or general philosophy. It is rude, counterproductive and generally a reflection of ignorance caused by fear of those who hold different opinions.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is rude, counterproductive and generally a reflection of ignorance caused by fear of those who hold different opinions.
I wish I could rep you again, but alas I appear to have repped you too recently.

Too often people define those they disagree with by a minority in the other group. Its very common. Very well said.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
NOT what we are talking about, we are talking about the source material of the concepts of liberty.

Which is off-topic, so let's not.

Moderates are a gross mix of the two. Any authoritarian is disugusting and has a primitive thought process.

Regardless, again, by your logic I can discuss ANYTHING in this thread as long as I can link it to the OP... that is not how staying on topic works.

I said that anyone who uses force to collect money for their projects doesn't understand liberty. That was on topic.

Making me explain the very fundamentals of what liberty is, is NOT on topic.

Even my posts challenge it.

I am not just trying to be mean, I just shouldn't be expected to explain a whole political ideology every time I comment on a subject.

And hopefully without spite.

For all this talk of liberty, the ultimate irony is that you're insisting that we all chain ourselves to the concept of liberty as dictated by a few men. Your idea is to remove authority from the government and hand it to philosophers. If you think your idea of liberty can be the only true one, then you do not believe in liberty.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,507,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
For all this talk of liberty, the ultimate irony is that you're insisting that we all chain ourselves to the concept of liberty as dictated by a few men.
NO, incorrect, wrong! I insist that we chain ourselves to the LITERAL DEFINITIONS OF WORDS AND CONCEPTS!

Anything else is just using words however we please, even if it is completely wrong.

Your excuses for debating an issue you admit to being willingly ignorant about are getting sadder and sadder.

Quote:
Your idea is to remove authority from the government and hand it to philosophers.
You show your ignorance AGAIN! Seriously kid, stop talking about crap you don't understand. You. Look. Silly.

It is not "my idea" and also, the idea is to remove authority from government and give it to individuals wherever possible.

Quote:
If you think your idea of liberty can be the only true one, then you do not believe in liberty.

Ugh, says the guy who can't even define liberty because he has NEVER READ THE DEFINITIONS!

You DON'T know what liberty is, and you REFUSE to learn. Yes, liberty, like all other concepts and words has a definition. (And it is not "mine".)

The fact that you think "liberty" means we can all define words differently without a complete meltdown in communication shows your ignorance of the concept.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,786,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middling Swordsman View Post
How is it you liken paying taxes to being stolen from? We all benefit from the taxes we pay, perhaps not equally, but we benefit nonetheless.

Fellow Americans who've fallen on hard times should not be considered entitled, but should instead be empathized with and supported. We never know when life will deal us a bad hand.
I don't have a problem with paying taxes as long as everyone does.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with paying taxes as long as everyone does.
Fine the tax rate is set to 50% no deducts, and we're implementing a basic income for everyone at 2K/month.

Still fine?

See you're making excuses. You're self rationalizing your behavior and statements.

Heres a clue for you-everyone really is paying taxes, wether its fees, gas taxes, social security, etc etc. And as it turns out for the vast majority taxation represents about 20%. the exceptions are at the high end, and low end of the income quintiles.

But hey dont let reality get in the way.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
NO, incorrect, wrong! I insist that we chain ourselves to the LITERAL DEFINITIONS OF WORDS AND CONCEPTS!

Anything else is just using words however we please, even if it is completely wrong.

Your excuses for debating an issue you admit to being willingly ignorant about are getting sadder and sadder.

You show your ignorance AGAIN! Seriously kid, stop talking about crap you don't understand. You. Look. Silly.

It is not "my idea" and also, the idea is to remove authority from government and give it to individuals wherever possible.

Ugh, says the guy who can't even define liberty because he has NEVER READ THE DEFINITIONS!

You DON'T know what liberty is, and you REFUSE to learn. Yes, liberty, like all other concepts and words has a definition. (And it is not "mine".)

The fact that you think "liberty" means we can all define words differently without a complete meltdown in communication shows your ignorance of the concept.
Neither you nor the philosophers you refer to have any more of an authority to define liberty than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies