Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Well,now one doesn't get drunk off one beer,now do they? I believe what the article says that Americans are the most drugged people in the entire world!

How many people do any of the readers know who are not on anti-depressants,or psychiatric drugs,illegal dope,and/or alcohol? You can count them on the fingers of one hand,can't you?

Is this a serious question? Nearly every person I know is NOT on anti-depressants, psychiatric drugs, illegal substances or an alcoholic.

I assume you meant an alcohol abuser, not just someone who has the odd drink now and then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
There are bars right across the street from LOTS of businesses. This is simply not the reason the plant closed, sorry.

Also, you talked to a niece of the CEO of Ford Motor, Co? How did that come about?

My guess is that she is referring to the Canton plant closure. As for the niece, maybe a relative of Peterson's? Who knows? I would take everything the OP writes with a grain of salt, but Canton has had a pretty rough time. She's right about that.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
American jobs loss is primarily about corporate executive greed combined with bad management. Period.
Shareholders elect the board who hires and determines the compensation of sr management.

Shareholders want a return on their investment. What does employment have to do with this?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Manufacturing is growing, just not the MFG jobs.
Yes indeed.

Investment in technology has a better ROI than an investment in human resources when it comes to manufacturing.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeah, look at those plunging productivity rates.
The link between productivity and employment has been eroding for decades.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I didn't know Bill Clinton was drunk and high on drugs when he signed NAFTA into law.
NAFTA was a Bush 1 initiative. After he ceremoniously signed it, the fun began in Congress. It was passed by a Republican majority and signed by Clinton.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
There has to be a happy medium, corps need money to invest and workers need decent pay to survive. I may not live to see it, but I think when things level out globally and Chinese workers start demanding more money, you may start seeing manufacturing jobs come back. It happened in Japan and Korea to some extent, it will happen in China.
Those manufacturing jobs that must be performed by humans will just move to to the rest of Asia, then to Africa.

Those manufacturing jobs that are better performed by technology will continue to be eliminated.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Another factor is the massive salaries paid to American CEO's compared to their foreign counterparts.
We had 1 after lying to the shareholders and causing our stocks to crash get paid a 14 million dollar termination bonus. Insane.
Shareholders elect the board. The board hires and determines the comp of the senior management team.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Oh BTW, don't want to mislead any to think that I meant the steel company where my husband worked supplied mortgage insurance.We obtained that on our own.

And I've never been able to understand why corporations are allowed to go overseas for slave labor,when the outrageous wages they pay their CEOs would supply jobs for many of their countrymen?
Are you suggesting nationalization of business, whereby a government forces business to pay more for made in the USA and regulates CEO comp?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
So how many American workers are stealing their paychecks from their employers by not even giving an honest day's work?Americans need to take a good hard look in the mirror,and see how much blame for the collapse of American society is their own fault.

I also have been told that the Ford car plant here closed because of the sorry workforce and refusal of the union to accept the cuts the company wanted. I know if I was a manufacturing plant owner I would not want the drug and alcohol addicted American workforce to make anything for my company! Quality in American made products is pretty much non existent today with so much of the workforce on every drug imaginable and/or alcohol as well!

My son is a machinist/programmer and he said it's scary the crap quality parts that leave the shop!No wonder they keep losing contracts,is it?

American workers have thrown away the manufacturing jobs because of their drug and alcohol addictions! Do you want to drive a car they built[recall after recall after recall]... or drive over a bridge they built?

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe
The American people are the most drugged people in the history of the planet. Illegal drugs get most of the headlines, but the truth is that the number of Americans that are addicted to legal drugs is far greater than the number of Americans that are addicted to illegal drugs.

19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe
To me it's a chicken and egg kind of argument -- which comes first.

Actually the gigantic and very generous welfare program comes first -- it gives people the option of never working and instead laying around doing nothing the rest of their days.

If all you do is lay around and never have to do anything, each day becomes just like the day before it and the day after it. 24-7 doing nothing. That gets boring -- people who live those dreary boring ways have to do something for their highs and lows so they get into partying and drugging and drinking.

It's a lot harder to get stoned or drunk if you have to be at work by a certain time and your employer does random drug checks --- but if there is that very generous welfare system, it's not so hard -- so you get fired for being a druggie -- now you'll eat just as well with your food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies