Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 AM

790 posts, read 1,271,235 times

Advertisements

I didnt celebrate the 4th of July this year. I feel that this country is getting worse every year and we have been failed by our politicians. Just the direction we are heading and the social construct that is consuming us has made me feel depressed for the future of the USA. I feel that this isnt America anymore and its only about to get worse. Anyone else feel this way and not celebrate the 4th? Serious responses only please...

Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,181,877 times
I celebrate "Independence Day", not the "4th of July".

Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,398,603 times
You remind me of my cranky old neighbor who hangs his flag upside-down to signal his distress at the state of America today. As for me, I spent the day with family and friends, and a great time was had by all.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:44 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,460 times
I celebrated, but as the fireworks were going off overhead, I spent a few moments thinking about actual ways in which the country is changing for the worse, as opposed to the fantasy ones continually lamented by RWNJs.

Like how my daughters' reproductive choices are under continual attack, as high up as the Supreme Court. No thinking person from, say, 1964, would ever have believed that we'd still be fighting for our rights to control our own bodies in 2014.

My daughters have fewer rights than I did at their age. THAT is what going backward looks like, not having a black guy in the White House, or allowing other religions to share the stage with Christians, or letting gays get married, or whatever ridiculous fantasy the right cooks up to have a sad over.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
I didn't do anything for the 4th, but that is because they were forecasting for rain and the barbecue plans were canceled, so we made it a day of staying home and doing nothing but relaxing.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I celebrated, but as the fireworks were going off overhead, I spent a few moments thinking about actual ways in which the country is changing for the worse, as opposed to the fantasy ones continually lamented by RWNJs.

Like how my daughters' reproductive choices are under continual attack, as high up as the Supreme Court. No thinking person from, say, 1964, would ever have believed that we'd still be fighting for our rights to control our own bodies in 2014.

My daughters have fewer rights than I did at their age. THAT is what going backward looks like, not having a black guy in the White House, or allowing other religions to share the stage with Christians, or letting gays get married, or whatever ridiculous fantasy the right cooks up to have a sad over.
I do not approve of the SCOTUS' decision either, but really? I don't know when you were your daughters' ages, but abortion was first legalized in the US in 1967 in Colorado and California for selected reasons. It didn't become legal in every state until 1973. Morning-after pills did not become available until the 1970s, and not OTC until a few years ago.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:19 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,215,964 times
Quote:

On just the reproductive rights issue - there are many who have a scientifically legitimate view that a fetus is not your body (assuming you are a woman) - it is a distinct being with DNA from both the mother and father. It is not the same as your arm or your leg. I don't care if you cut off your hands or your feet. Your choice.

Although there are many things not to like about the way things are today - I think religious freedom is as good as it ever has been. It seems odd though that so many are so tolerant of a religion openly hostile to women's rights and freedom.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,269,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I do not approve of the SCOTUS' decision either, but really? I don't know when you were your daughters' ages, but abortion was first legalized in the US in 1967 in Colorado and California for selected reasons. It didn't become legal in every state until 1973. Morning-after pills did not become available until the 1970s, and not OTC until a few years ago.
Yes, and by the mid and late '70s, I had unrestricted access to abortion and birth control. There were no religious nut jobs hanging around to spit on women, no political campaigns to destroy Planned Parenthood, no restrictions on insurance coverage of BC because Jesus, and no old men in political or judicial power telling me that having sex = sl*t. All true and ubiquitous in today's society.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 AM

7,816 posts, read 6,404,847 times
Quote:
Yes, and by the mid and late '70s, I had unrestricted access to abortion and birth control. There were no religious nut jobs hanging around to spit on women, no political campaigns to destroy Planned Parenthood, no restrictions on insurance coverage of BC because Jesus, and no old men in political or judicial power telling me that having sex = sl*t. All true and ubiquitous in today's society.
You are perfectly free to purchase insurance that covers birth control.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Why would someone not celebrate Independence Day because you are disaffected with the current state of politics?

The two are mutually exclusive, in my opinion. One is about the aspirations of America and ideal of America. The other is daily grind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies