Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
That's your social circle (who I would probably like and get along with) but they don't represent most conservatives. Look at any poll such as Gallup...conservatives are significantly more anti-abortion than the general population.

According to Gallup the majority of Americans are pro-life and support numerous restrictions on abortion to include a 24 hour waiting period and ultrasound requirement.

In fact, more women than men, and a clear majority, support these restrictions on abortion.

Common State Abortion Restrictions Spark Mixed Reviews

You seem to be making up facts as you go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
I wish a {R} or anyone that is running on the federal level not take a stance on abortion or gay marriage and tell voters they will not vote either way when bills hit the floor. Both issues according to the 9th and 10th amendments belong to the states. Plus the Supreme court has already ruled on abortion and will rule on gay marriage, case closed.

If a obnoxious reporter keeps pressing tell them it is none of the their business since you have pledged to not vote on the 2 issues.

Though I am Christian I am also sick of the social conservatives that say they support the constitution only when it suits them.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
According to Gallup the majority of Americans are pro-life and support numerous restrictions on abortion to include a 24 hour waiting period and ultrasound requirement.

In fact, more women than men, and a clear majority, support these restrictions on abortion.

Common State Abortion Restrictions Spark Mixed Reviews
You seem to be making up facts as you go along.
Those restrictions should be done on the state level and I think most of them are.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I wish a {R} or anyone that is running on the federal level not take a stance on abortion or gay marriage and tell voters they will not vote either way when bills hit the floor. Both issues according to the 9th and 10th amendments belong to the states. Plus the Supreme court has already ruled on abortion and will rule on gay marriage, case closed.

If a obnoxious reporter keeps pressing tell them it is none of the their business since you have pledged to not vote on the 2 issues.

Though I am Christian I am also sick of the social conservatives that say they support the constitution only when it suits them.
One of the very few legitimate duties of the federal government is to defend our lives. Why do you object to this defense of life? Because you want to kill?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
One of the very few legitimate duties of the federal government is to defend our lives. Why do you object to this defense of life? Because you want to kill?
Reasonable people understand you can only defend what isn't inside someone else. The line is drawn there and you just have to accept that. There is NO alternative that our society will accept, or that we can reasonably apply.

"Reasonable" being a legal term and all. Unreasonable people will never understand.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Reasonable people understand you can only defend what isn't inside someone else.
RvW says that at a certain point the state does have an interest to do this.

Quote:
The line is drawn there and you just have to accept that. There is NO alternative that our society will accept, or that we can reasonably apply.

"Reasonable" being a legal term and all. Unreasonable people will never understand.
As I note, that isn't where the line is drawn.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:

One thing that attracted me to conservatives years ago is they were tough on crime. I heard a Dem back in 1990 say "Republicans want to build more prisons than schools". This had the unintended consequence of me instantly switching from Dem to Rep. Conservatives used to talk about things like "3 stikes and you're out" and giving killers the death penalty. George W Bush was my hero for allowing so many executions go forward while he was Governor of Texas. Today's conservatives could care less about crime and punishment. I feel like i am the only one left who cares about this issue. If only we could give retroactive abortions to the entire violent criminal population our country would be a better, safer, more civilized place.
Then to you, the prison companies need to get on the ball more about giving money to elected politicians. We gotta go more to maintain our distinction as the most imprisoned country in the world.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I am pro life myself but Roe vs Wade is not going to be over turned by the SC or congress. And social conservatives give the left amunition by claiming they are going to end abortion, which we both know they won't. Don't mean to bring in religion but Paul said " work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" Abortion is a sin {maybe}on the woman and those that perform it and me I have my own sins to worry about. My point is the country is not moving in the social conservatives direction and it would be wise to move on more important issues.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I never thought of the tea party as being socially conservative. They care more about issues such as not raising the debt ceiling than abortion or same sex marriage.
Tea-bagging for Jesus?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ebroodle/pro...-for-jesus-68j

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I do not think most conservatives are "pro abortion" as you describe yourself. Most of my circle of friends and family think abortion is a terrible thing, even if they support its legality and availability.
"Safe, legal and rare"-Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
If you believe "abortion" is murdering a tiny baby, as I do, all other issues pale in comparison. It would be like telling nelson Mandela, if you just don't worry about Apartheid, you won't have so much trouble. Or ignoring the Nazi atrocities against Jews by saying, just don't worry about that morally wrong policy and focus on other political or economic issues.

I do understand that you have to be smart about how you reach your goals and that's what I strive for. I believe you should live your life by choosing the right path even if others don't agree with you. In the long run, making the right choices will pay off.

In the future, this horribly barbaric practice will be looked down in much the way today's culture views slavery and ethnic cleansing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies