Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,658,319 times

Advertisements

Somebody doesn't seem to understand consumers, cost of goods and competition.

People are buying stuff from Chinese due to higher quality; they are purchasing it due to price.

When taxes continue to increase, it will eventually effect price and give an advantage to companies offering lower costs due to lower taxes (overhead).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,965,073 times
Honestly, we should probably just get rid of most business taxes and substantially raise income taxes and capital gains. That would be one way to encourage investment in capital expenditures and infrastructure instead of sitting on the money and/or incorporating in Ireland.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
I've never thought that one had much to do with the other.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:02 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,236,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting.
Why not tax at a 100 percent if high taxes do not hurt jobs

Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Why not tax at a 100 percent if high taxes do not hurt jobs
Sigh. Please. Just stop. any quote that says "why not just" and then goes on to some idiotic extreme does not contribute to a discussion.

So lets try something more reasonable

"At what point does taxation affect employment?"

Given that many countries tax more then twice our rate, and have less unemployment, the answer is....some where north of 2X what we do, as long as the money is used for public benefit.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,277,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Somebody doesn't seem to understand consumers, cost of goods and competition.

People are buying stuff from Chinese due to higher quality; they are purchasing it due to price.

When taxes continue to increase, it will eventually effect price and give an advantage to companies offering lower costs due to lower taxes (overhead).
Except that income taxes are not part of the overhead calculation. A company could lower their tax bill today by just increasing expenses or lowering their prices, but that wouldn't maximize profit.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,277,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. Please. Just stop. any quote that says "why not just" and then goes on to some idiotic extreme does not contribute to a discussion.

So lets try something more reasonable

"At what point does taxation affect employment?"

Given that many countries tax more then twice our rate, and have less unemployment, the answer is....some where north of 2X what we do, as long as the money is used for public benefit.
Kind of. It also matters what kind of taxation. Fixed rate taxes will affect the ability to hire more than an income tax will because the income is variable while the fixed tax is, well, fixed.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,549,225 times
I can agree. I used to live in South Carolina, and for all the hillbilly politicians claiming the low taxes will bring jobs, everything's still about as undeveloped as it was a decade ago. Most of the jobs too are low paying factory jobs.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,385,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post

I can agree. I used to live in South Carolina, and for all the hillbilly politicians claiming the low taxes will bring jobs, everything's still about as undeveloped as it was a decade ago. Most of the jobs too are low paying factory jobs.
Maybe it's still underdeveloped in that part of SC because they have poor infrastructure and a low educated workforce that will only attract lower paying jobs to the area. So again maybe infrastructure and the education level of the local workforce is more important than the tax rate?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,798,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Higher taxes though steer money to the government rather than to increase worker's wages.
And what is the point of all this money going to the government when they turn around and send it to other countries and fund social welfare programs here.
I'm going to use your post to grouse about something that bothers me.

So, to all you business owners, answer me this question. If ALL your business taxes were to end tomorrow, and I mean no income tax, no property tax, no employment tax, what are you going to do with that extra money? Will you:

1) lower your prices?

2) give your employees raises?

3) hire more employees?

4) some combination of the above?

Or will you just stuff the money into your pockets, figuring that your customers are already paying what they pay and your employees are already earning what they earn and working the time and the effort it already takes?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the money would go directly into the owner's pockets, and no one other than the owner will benefit from those lower taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies