Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 02:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The Black Jack pizza is still a part of the menu after the "healthy Lunch" program was implemented. I don't think that will change as the new plan is already in effect. That is really the point. The result of the "healthy lunch program" has more to do with smaller portions then it does to do with healthier foods which is turn makes many wonder what the point is of wasting all of our tax money on such a small and ineffective change to the school lunch menu. Does anyone really think this is going to make a dent in the obesity problem, or cause kids to make healthier choices? I don't.
It's not. It's resulting in more food being thrown out.
The "free lunch" kids have to take the trays else the school won't get their money.
They then eat the snacks and food they brought from home instead and throw out the school food.

And what kid wouldn't do that ? What adult wouldn't do that as well ?
You don't want the food but you have to take the tray anyways.
I would just dump what I didn't want but was forced to take especially if I didn't pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
the fascist liberals will never be happy until they control 100% of everything

Old 07-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the fascist liberals will never be happy until they control 100% of everything
But they can't and it's been proven over and over.
NYC has lost more money since raising their cigarette tax higher than any other surrounding state.

And they never want to ban it either. They just want to control it.
If it's so bad then outright ban it and put an industry out of business for good.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Two words.

Parochial school.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not. It's resulting in more food being thrown out.
The "free lunch" kids have to take the trays else the school won't get their money.
They then eat the snacks and food they brought from home instead and throw out the school food.

And what kid wouldn't do that ? What adult wouldn't do that as well ?
You don't want the food but you have to take the tray anyways.
I would just dump what I didn't want but was forced to take especially if I didn't pay for it.
Our school has three cash-only a la carte stations where kids can buy lunch if they don't like the main line government mandated lunch. The kids receiving free or reduced lunches must stick with the main line lunch. It's the norm for a lot of the kids to go to the main line, get the lunch, eat the entree, pitch the fruit and vegetable/salad, then go to one of the a la carte stations and plunk down a few bucks in cash for some nachos, pizza, a chicken sandwich, etc. Or they totally opt for our a la carte station that has rotating changing daily options such as homemade meatloaf, pierogii, stuffed peppers, chili, etc. Cash only as well and operated totally free of government $$$ and mandates. Needless to say, the lines at the a la carte stations are now longer than those at the main line station. For the kids who can pay cash, anyway.

When our district was forced to serve whole wheat rolls (we still bake our own sandwich rolls), the kids were p***ed. One enterprising young guy went to Wal-Mart in the morning before school, loaded up on cheap white enriched hamburger buns, and sold them in the cafeteria for .50 each. Both teachers AND kids bought them, pitching their whole wheat bun. That kid (now graduated) is going to be a success.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Our school has three cash-only a la carte stations where kids can buy lunch if they don't like the main line government mandated lunch. The kids receiving free or reduced lunches must stick with the main line lunch. It's the norm for a lot of the kids to go to the main line, get the lunch, eat the entree, pitch the fruit and vegetable/salad, then go to one of the a la carte stations and plunk down a few bucks in cash for some nachos, pizza, a chicken sandwich, etc. Or they totally opt for our a la carte station that has rotating changing daily options such as homemade meatloaf, pierogii, stuffed peppers, chili, etc. Cash only as well and operated totally free of government $$$ and mandates. Needless to say, the lines at the a la carte stations are now longer than those at the main line station. For the kids who can pay cash, anyway.

When our district was forced to serve whole wheat rolls (we still bake our own sandwich rolls), the kids were p***ed. One enterprising young guy went to Wal-Mart in the morning before school, loaded up on cheap white enriched hamburger buns, and sold them in the cafeteria for .50 each. Both teachers AND kids bought them, pitching their whole wheat bun. That kid (now graduated) is going to be a success.
And your school has a cafeteria with a real kitchen for cooking. (recalling that from your previous posts).
I applaud that young man. I cannot get into whole wheat either.

I hope you realize you're a dying breed..schools that actually still cook their lunches from scratch.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Chick-fil-A sandwich is probably far more nutritious than the crap the FLOTUS is trying to shove down their throats. How many carrot sticks does a person have to eat to satisfy their appetite? Do carrot sticks provide them with enough energy to play sports? A person has to have a certain number of calories, or they are not going to be able to function.

Perhaps kids are overweight because Phys Ed has been cut from most schools? Isn't it time we look at things like that? Exercise is important. Phys Ed is important. Hello?

Yes, the Chick-fil-A sandwich does have a pretty decent nutritional profile:

Protein: 28g
Carbs: 5g
Fats: 18g

Calories: 440

It's a bit high in salt (1390mg), but 0g of trans fats.

Protein is what gives you that "full" feeling, and clearly, you're not getting that amount from vegetables, unless you eat a LOT of them. Children need more protein per pound than adults (a fact that Michelle Obama and the rest of the FoodMafia might not know) due to the fact that they are GROWING. They don't need a diet high in carbs or fats. They need more PROTEIN. And quality protein, not some lump of brown s**t that is unrecognizable.

The basal metabolic rate of teenage boys is high -- vey high. A 5'11" teenage boy -- and junior/high schools are loaded with them -- has a BMR in excess of 2000 calories. 2000 calories, just to "stay alive". You can't get there too easily if you are only getting 350 calories at breakfast and the same amount at lunch.

You bring up an excellent point about why kids are overweight. When I was a kid, we had Phys Ed. EVERY DAY. I grew up in FL, and it might have been 95 outside, but we were out playing kickball, running relays, etc. The fact that Phys Ed was cut from the school curriculum was a bad move. It introduced kids to exercise at an EARLY AGE, even if their parents were bloated couch potatoes (and most weren't, back in the day).

But killing off Phys Ed wasn't the only thing causing obesity.

The cause, in the vast majority of people, is taking more calories in than you burn off.

If you burn 3000 calories a day, but take in 3120 per day, by the end of the month, you'll be up 1 pound.

By the end of the year, 12 pounds.

By the end of the decade, 120 pounds.

This is how people get obese.

But a lot of people have no clue of just how many calories they are taking in. And on top of that, what are the % of the macros within those calories? If you don't know your numbers, you'll never know why you're getting so fat.

I don't worry about what MichelleO With A Butt Like Jelloâ„¢ has to say about school lunches, and neither do my kids. I make their lunches for them, and I think in the last 10 years, they may have bought school lunches two or three times. On average, their lunches are roughly 700 calories, sometimes more. I don't worry about obesity with them, because both of them have a tremendous amount of lean muscle mass.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 PM

390 posts, read 824,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm not against Michelle Obama's lunch program, but why does it have to be so regulated? Couldn't it be suggestions, and maybe limit some lunch calories? I do feel she's punishing the many for the few. When kids are limited to 800 calories, but run several miles in cross country or practice two hours of a sport, they need more food. This one-size-fits-all approach is wrong. And what's wrong with bake sales and other food fundraisers? Do they really think these kids aren't going to eat desserts if they're not allowed them at school?

I thought it would be better as an awareness campaign instead of mandates on what they can eat. A very good idea gone completely overboard.
Great post. Many highschool students who play football and need to put on muscle need to eat 4k calories a day, or more in some cases. And as the last poster said, much of that (at least 20%) needs to come from protein! A one size fits all approach is definitely wrong. Some teenage boys actually have a BMR approaching 3,000 calories a day! Add on sports to that and the need to build muscle, and you're looking at a lot of calories per day that they need.

And as long as you stay away from the fries, shakes, and the white flour buns, Chick-Fil-A is relatively healthy for fast food. Their new grilled chicken nuggets are great! They have nearly no fat or carbs, yet are very tasty. As a bodybuilder, I eat Chick-Fil-A sometimes even when cutting. I'd eat it even more if it wasn't so expensive.

Last edited by hazergore1198; 07-17-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If you back Michelle, then she to affects your life.
Seems to me she's seriously affecting the life of those complaining about her, actually. It's a good thing she isn't advocating for kids to read more or the right would really be in huff. "Put that down! Whatcha readin' for?"

It's pretty common for First Ladies to involve themselves in some sort of public work like literacy or exercise or healthy eating habits, no? Your president's wife thinks schools should feed kids crap food for lunch. The horror!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Yes, the Chick-fil-A sandwich does have a pretty decent nutritional profile:

Protein: 28g
Carbs: 5g
Fats: 18g

Calories: 440

It's a bit high in salt (1390mg), but 0g of trans fats.

Protein is what gives you that "full" feeling, and clearly, you're not getting that amount from vegetables, unless you eat a LOT of them. Children need more protein per pound than adults (a fact that Michelle Obama and the rest of the FoodMafia might not know) due to the fact that they are GROWING. They don't need a diet high in carbs or fats. They need more PROTEIN. And quality protein, not some lump of brown s**t that is unrecognizable.

The basal metabolic rate of teenage boys is high -- vey high. A 5'11" teenage boy -- and junior/high schools are loaded with them -- has a BMR in excess of 2000 calories. 2000 calories, just to "stay alive". You can't get there too easily if you are only getting 350 calories at breakfast and the same amount at lunch.

You bring up an excellent point about why kids are overweight. When I was a kid, we had Phys Ed. EVERY DAY. I grew up in FL, and it might have been 95 outside, but we were out playing kickball, running relays, etc. The fact that Phys Ed was cut from the school curriculum was a bad move. It introduced kids to exercise at an EARLY AGE, even if their parents were bloated couch potatoes (and most weren't, back in the day).

But killing off Phys Ed wasn't the only thing causing obesity.

The cause, in the vast majority of people, is taking more calories in than you burn off.

If you burn 3000 calories a day, but take in 3120 per day, by the end of the month, you'll be up 1 pound.

By the end of the year, 12 pounds.

By the end of the decade, 120 pounds.

This is how people get obese.

But a lot of people have no clue of just how many calories they are taking in. And on top of that, what are the % of the macros within those calories? If you don't know your numbers, you'll never know why you're getting so fat.

I don't worry about what MichelleO With A Butt Like Jelloâ„¢ has to say about school lunches, and neither do my kids. I make their lunches for them, and I think in the last 10 years, they may have bought school lunches two or three times. On average, their lunches are roughly 700 calories, sometimes more. I don't worry about obesity with them, because both of them have a tremendous amount of lean muscle mass.
Are you an eight year old or do you just post like one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies