Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:56 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Before you answer, think about why WWI and WWII were so successful. Think about how the cosmetic and fashion industries manipulated young women into nearly killing themselves, and think of how the media killed all hopes of positive race relations by producing propaganda-laden movies, commercials, and TV shows. Also, consider how seriously people tend to take popular stereotypes. Am I the only one who thinks we should be a bit alarmed? When are we actually going to start thinking? Does our media make that more difficult than it should be?

World War I Propaganda | A website on World War I Propaganda posters
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._United_States
Mass Media and Racism

Why this is important to me:
As one who works in the public schools, I frequently see young people who have no concept of what they are doing to themselves. They blindly, almost like slaves, just follow their favorite singer / artist / celebrity even though the messages the children are communicating to larger society are not at all positive ones and often glorify such taboo topics as gang life and drug dealing. I feel like my ability to truly influence their views, though, is painfully limited. I just think it's amazing how the media can almost cast a spell and many people follow it without question. It catches everyone to some degree, and the messages it constantly disseminates affect all of us at least a little.

If we wanted to take back our common sense and that of our children, how would we combat this insidious system of shared ignorance? Should we talk about media images and what they mean? Should we demand our media disseminate more wholesome messages? Should we make grassroots efforts to produce our own webcast and podcasts countering some of the stereotypes?

This is just one possible talking point. Feel free to post anything related to my main question in the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Hollywood and the MSM debase the culture for a purpose. Don't be naïve.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Hollywood and the MSM debase the culture for a purpose. Don't be naïve.
Well, I would at least like more information. I'm not that into politics.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, I would at least like more information. I'm not that into politics.
Could the media have created the cult of Obama without having first profoundly brainwashed the Millenials into believing that electing the cool black guy was the thing to do?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Could the media have created the cult of Obama without having first profoundly brainwashed the Millenials into believing that electing the cool black guy was the thing to do?
My question would be why and how does this work so well?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Subtle?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
My question would be why and how does this work so well?
Because the young have an overriding desire to conform. They'll conform to anything they perceive as an authority in their lives. In the modern world, that's the media that is directed at them.

In earlier times, the media told young people it was cool to smoke. In the late 60's and 70's they touted countercultural lifestyles, sex and drugs.

Just recently, it's homosexuality.

Hollywood and the media are the propaganda arms of the left in America.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
"...propaganda arms of the left..."? Since when is FAUX NOISE a leftist organization?

The entertainment industry does not care about influencing youth to any political view except to buy whatever is advertised.Their only cultural goal is to make everyone indiscriminate buyers of stuff they do not need with money they do not have. Their primary goal is to make money for their owners by what ever it takes.

Where we get into trouble is when politicians buy propaganda time to convince people to support unnecessary wars like Freeing Iraq from a monster, the War on Drugs, the war on climate change by the coal companies, Controlling our borders by the meat packing companies and all the rest of the idiocies we have been taught (propagandized) to support.

I wish the media would get back to Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll and get off this violence is good kick.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:06 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
You beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Subtle?
Exactly.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Its starts in government education centers ...er uh public schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies