Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Because they have a lower corporate tax rate then the US and US companies are opening there.
Obama wants Ireland to discourage US companies from opening subsidiaries there.

When the tax is 3x as high in your home country and you can afford to globalize for lower rates then you will.
Tax someone high enough and long enough and eventually they will find a new home.

Ireland has too much to lose to deter U.S. companies re-homing
Ireland is in the firing line from Washington again for luring U.S. companies to its shores for tax benefits, but despite contrite noises coming from Dublin, it has too much to lose to discourage U.S. firms bent on shifting their tax domiciles.

Ireland's low corporate tax rate of 12.5 percent is a natural lure for U.S. companies looking to set up an overseas hub, and for Dublin the pay-off is new jobs, but in so-called inversion deals the company then switches its overall tax domicile from the United States, where the rate is 35 percent, to its new home.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-30-2014 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
So you're saying companies want to move to places with a lower tax burden? Color me shocked.

I still have not figured out why liberals do not realize this. How many tax dollars do we receive from a company located in another country.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Get congress to create more loopholes. Tax Laws are so easy to understand I can't see why a couple more laws would hurt anything.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
1 thing some people don't see it it ain't just the low tax in Ireland "making" companies move there.

I've never been to the Emerald Isle but word is it's real pretty, since the IRA and PDL "Troubles" have pretty much stopped AND English is the main language there even tho Dublin's TRYING to shove Gaelic down the peoples' throats; all of that would draw businesses to move there. Word is Ireland's now a pretty nice place to live in 2014.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Get congress to create more loopholes. Tax Laws are so easy to understand I can't see why a couple more laws would hurt anything.
It has nothing to do with loopholes.

A rate of 35% vs a rate of 12.5%. That is huge.

And instead of competing with the rest of the world the US is being the big bad bully telling countries to "stop stealing our companies".

Globalism will win over US policies so we better adjust, adapt and stay competitive.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
I don't know why any working citizen wouldn't be mad at Multi-National Corporations that have abandoned The US and turned our once prosperous nation into a shell.... They have proven that they have no allegiance to this nation-or any, and they don't need to.

We don't have to "adjust" to the rest of the World (most of which live in dire poverty) and lose all of the progress employees have made the past 100 years setting living standards to new levels and creating the largest middle class the World has ever seen. We only need to change our tax laws and get rid of loopholes that have allowed a tiny fraction of a fraction of people to horde more wealth than ever before in our modern history.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Hopefully he doesn't do or say something to pizz off Ireland like he has with some of our other allies...

Old 07-30-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
1 thing some people don't see it it ain't just the low tax in Ireland "making" companies move there.

I've never been to the Emerald Isle but word is it's real pretty, since the IRA and PDL "Troubles" have pretty much stopped AND English is the main language there even tho Dublin's TRYING to shove Gaelic down the peoples' throats; all of that would draw businesses to move there. Word is Ireland's now a pretty nice place to live in 2014.
I have family there. It's still pretty expensive but my uncle tells me the country is over their hump and slowly making a comeback. Ireland exited the IMF austerity mandates in December 2013.

Ireland has 2 official languages, English and Irish Gaelic. Everyone speaks English but not everyone knows/speaks Gaelic (40%).

I'm a dual citizen and follow what goes on there. Should the US go to hell in a hand basket that's my bailout country

Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
So basically, multi-national companies move from country to country like locousts.. bargaining for the lowest tax rates and the most lenient labor laws. After they consume every natural resource in said country, they move on to the next (lowest) bidder.

Smells like a race to the bottom....

Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
So basically, multi-national companies move from country to country like locousts.. bargaining for the lowest tax rates and the most lenient labor laws. After they consume every natural resource in said country, they move on to the next (lowest) bidder.

Smells like a race to the bottom....
Ireland is NOT China.

And what "natural resource" is Apple consuming over there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies