Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:47 AM

73,188 posts, read 62,892,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Your last paragraph doesn't make sense. Who is going to get those jobs then? Is it really a coincidence that the unemployment for blacks have remained high during the time that illegal immigration has increase in this nation? Think about it like this, as long as you have a work force that is willing to take minimum or even below minimum salaries to work low-skill jobs, then no native in this country regardless of race will be able to get those jobs. I mean if you are a company and you have simple jobs that require very little training and someone can easily pick up and do tomorrow, then does that mean you hire people who demand more money or take your chance on cheaper labor?
How does it not make sense? Blacks frequently have higher unemployment rates than anyone else in the USA. This was so back in the 70s and 80s, and it is so today. In fact, Black unemployment rates peaked back in 1983, at 21%, before Reagan signed the amnesty bill.

Blacks have historically and even now had to deal with "last hired, first fired". Show that such a case never happens.

Look, there is no doubt that many companies look for cheap labor. I'm saying the absence of cheap labor does not automatically guarantee Blacks will suddenly see their unemployment rates plummet. It doesn't make sense to some people that job discrimination still exists. It doesn't make rational sense, but irrational does not constitute the idea that it won't happen.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 AM

89,423 posts, read 45,120,542 times
Quote:
Under Obama you have also seen an increase in debt, a consistently high unemployment rate especially among blacks, and a strong focus on a flawed (IMO) healthcare system as opposed to creating jobs which has been the biggest issue in this country for almost a decade.
You can add a wider White/Black wealth gap to Obama's unimpressive list of accomplishments, as well.

The Gap Between Blacks and Whites is Larger Under Obama than Bush or Any Other President | Black Blue Dog

Quote:
There are a lot of blacks who feel neglected even by their own party. When you see places like Detroit and Chicago who both have very different issues and how long they both have been neglected (and by the way largely black cities), it makes you wonder why there is so much money being poured into immigration instead of native citizens who are seeing third world type conditions in their cities.
Very good to see that people are finally starting to wake up.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,022,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You can add a wider White/Black wealth gap to Obama's unimpressive list of accomplishments, as well.

The Gap Between Blacks and Whites is Larger Under Obama than Bush or Any Other President | Black Blue Dog

Very good to see that people are finally starting to wake up.
I never slept...

Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How does it not make sense? Blacks frequently have higher unemployment rates than anyone else in the USA. This was so back in the 70s and 80s, and it is so today. In fact, Black unemployment rates peaked back in 1983, at 21%, before Reagan signed the amnesty bill.

Blacks have historically and even now had to deal with "last hired, first fired". Show that such a case never happens.

Look, there is no doubt that many companies look for cheap labor. I'm saying the absence of cheap labor does not automatically guarantee Blacks will suddenly see their unemployment rates plummet. It doesn't make sense to some people that job discrimination still exists. It doesn't make rational sense, but irrational does not constitute the idea that it won't happen.
Agreed. Black unemployment has been high for years, but it certainly isn't improving under Obama so I don't understand why he is viewed differently than other presidents in the black community. To me it doesn't seem like there is an argument to show that he has done anything different.

Your premise is flawed, the burden of proof is on you. You haven't proven anything so how can I even counter, even if I wanted to. You are making a point saying that blacks have been historically last hired, first fired, and then you asked me to prove otherwise. How can I refute something that you have never proved. Why are we assuming what you are saying is true? Where is your evidence? I'm not even arguing that it doesn't happen because in SOME cases I believe it does, but I do not believe that is the main contributor to black unemployment. Education is the key. If you do not have the skills to make yourself marketable, then you are easily replaceable and unfortunately in the black community there are many who have not taken school/trade school serious enough to make it work for them, at least not compared to other races.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,947,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
United its a wrecking ball. It's how we got our first black president elected. Divided, its not much.

There's been a lot done over the course of American history done to destroy black movements, black leaders and black organizations. I could give many, many examples if needed.

It's a good topic though imo. We need to re-organize. And some of us are doing just that. I'm experiencing a cultural revolution where I'm at and its not a progressive area at all.
Uh; Mr Obama being POTUS 2 times was because many anglo white voted for the man; had most of us voted for McCain or Romney, BHO would NOT have won, even with ALL Black people and ALL "Hispanics" voting for him.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM

It's amazing how many people ASSUME just because you say certain things that you can't possibly black. I mean I would think that at least some people would be smart enough to at least ask what my race is first before going on a rant. I guess that's too much to ask.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:00 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
Quote:
Education is the key. If you do not have the skills to make yourself marketable, then you are easily replaceable and unfortunately in the black community there are many who have not taken school/trade school serious enough to make it work for them, at least not compared to other races.
Your last line is critical. I've seen that too much in my own extended family. Heck, it was a critical point in my own life.

When I started my journalism curriculum in college in the early 70s, my mother's comment was, "That's nice, but what are you going to do for a living?" And she was right, and I realized it pretty quickly back then.

But a whole lot of my generation of black Boomers hadn't figured it out even for their own Millennial children. Nor have the black Boomer politicians and educators figured it out.

Most people simply do not get college degrees. The average for Americans is only 30%, down to 20% among blacks even today, only as high as 40% even among Asians.

Moreover, most people who get college degrees can't get and won't get the lucrative STEM degrees. Sorry, those degrees do require higher than average learning ability...and most people are not "higher than average."

My viewpoint is about the same as Mike Rowe's. We black Boomers have got to get off this trip that a college degree is the only way out of unemployment. There ain't no shame in being a fully employed electrician who owns your own company.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We KNOW school vouchers have very positive educational results for Blacks, yet Blacks vote for Democrats knowing full well they oppose vouchers. You reap what you sow. Stop complaining about the disastrous results of your own votes.

The very positive educational effects of school vouchers on Black students:
http://www.hks.harvard.edu/pepg/PDF/...hers_FINAL.pdf
You've been told before that vouchers are useless in communities where there aren't places to "spend" them.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
It's amazing how many people ASSUME just because you say certain things that you can't possibly black. I mean I would think that at least some people would be smart enough to at least ask what my race is first before going on a rant. I guess that's too much to ask.
It's rare to find people who use critical thinking skills (of any race/ethnicity), realize that things are not as they should be, realize that there's a lot of untrue and manipulative propaganda being thrown into the mix, and question why anyone would deliberately vote against their own (or their demographic group's) best interest. You're one of the rare ones who thinks critically and asks question, so they automatically assume you are not like them, not Black.

I'm still waiting to see a rebuttal to my 10 racist/ethnic stereotyping quotes from big name Democrats post. Will anyone step up to the plate? We'll see...

Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My viewpoint is about the same as Mike Rowe's. We black Boomers have got to get off this trip that a college degree is the only way out of unemployment. There ain't no shame in being a fully employed electrician who owns your own company.
Excellent!

Call an electrician or a plumber for an issue and you'll quickly see just how lucrative such an endeavor can be. They're skilled tradesmen and if they own their own business, are handsomely financially rewarded for that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies