Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that's why we're constantly dubbed the Ugly Americans.

When you go to another country you are supposed to be aware of their culture and customs.
You are not in America anymore where anything goes.
Quote:
If there is a directive then it's no different then what corporate training does for it's diversity training/cultural awareness.

I worked on global teams and we had cultural education about their customs. They even taught us which colors were considered offensive or very religious that we should avoid wearing when we met and even how to address them.

Americans think they can just barge in anywhere and not give a hoot about another country's customs.

Of all the country training I've had I would put Japanese customs at the top for showing respect to other cultures.
^^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
^^This.
Bethesda, Maryland is an Islamic country!? I knew they were working on it, but I didn't think had accomplished it yet!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
That's ridiculous. They should go ahead, take a big bite, smile and wink when the look of incredulousness appears on their faces.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
I'd eat a ham sandwich accompanied by a beer.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Well I certainly hope they send the same type of email come Lent.."Please refrain from eating meat on Friday in respect for Catholic customs" with a link explaining Lent and the meaning of not eating meat on Friday.
Then do the same for the Jewish religion and any other religion that has customs during the year.

If you espouse tolerance/respect/education for one religion you need to do it for all religions.

But we all know that is NOT DONE TODAY.
Actually, I sent my kid to a summer camp run by a Jewish community organization (we're not Jewish - program is open to all backgrounds) and they specifically ask that you bring lunches without pork in it. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't see all the reason for willful ignorance and anger directed at Muslims and their customs. Mutual respect is good. Whether it is in Kuala Lumpur, Dearborn, or Washington.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, I sent my kid to a summer camp run by a Jewish community organization (we're not Jewish - program is open to all backgrounds) and they specifically ask that you bring lunches without pork in it. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't see all the reason for willful ignorance and anger directed at Muslims and their customs. Mutual respect is good. Whether it is in Kuala Lumpur, Dearborn, or Washington.
Coming into someone ELSE's country and expecting them to change their ways to accommodate your superstitions is in no way respectful. With Muslims, they leave the "mutual" part out of it while demanding accommodation.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Coming into someone ELSE's country and expecting them to change their ways to accommodate your superstitions is in no way respectful. With Muslims, they leave the "mutual" part out of it while demanding accommodation.
These Muslims aren't coming from another nation....they're Americans.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
These Muslims aren't coming from another nation....they're Americans.
I think you just blew a fuse in a few brains, there. Seems basic neighborly behavior, once you're aware that a colleague is fasting. Like not breaking out your handkerchief and offer to "wipe that smudge of your forehead" when you meet a Catholic on Ash Wednesday.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I think you just blew a fuse in a few brains, there. Seems basic neighborly behavior, once you're aware that a colleague is fasting. Like not breaking out your handkerchief and offer to "wipe that smudge of your forehead" when you meet a Catholic on Ash Wednesday.
Some people weren't raised to have manners I guess.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You must be a very angry person then.

I can't imagine why anyone would be upset if somebody came to them and said "I'm on a fast - I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't eat in front of me." I also can't imagine why anyone wouldn't try and in fact not eat in front of a person who asked that of them.
Doesn't anyone on this thread actually have any Muslims at their workplace or anything? People just eat normally and the Muslims do their fasting and neither affects the other. I did walk into a guy's cubicle once to tell him something and he was startled and looked guilty. He was having a sandwich and I apologized for interrupting his lunch. Turned out it was Ramadan and he was supposed to be fasting but said he just couldn't stand to go all day without food and that another Muslim had caught him drinking a soda the day before and scolded him. I promised not to tell!

I have a friend living in Jordan. The only restriction that affects her is that during Ramadan, the supermarkets don't sell alcohol so she has to stock up beforehand. You can still get cocktails at hotel lounges, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies