Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,965,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I likely would not do that.

But, I will never give up my rights.
No one is asking you to.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,224,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No one is asking you to.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,994,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"
No one is asking them to enter into a gay marriage, or have homosexual relationships, leave the church, or otherwise do anything that prohibits their free exercise thereof.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,520,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Obviously it is more than a blip, since the shop owner has closed down their Facebook page and their web site due to the comments she has received. The story is all over the national media. She has also gone form open for business to open only on appointment.

More and more states ARE including sexual orientation in their anti-discrimination laws. The town and state from this incident were already working on passing such laws. This shop just added to the push to get those laws enacted.
Thank goodness for Social Media. That 'media' also forced the daughter of someone who committed suicide to shut hers down and allowed fake victims of discrimination to get $$$ thousands in contributions. Cripes, social media made a grumpy cat famous.

When Congress or more than half the states adopt public accommodation sexual orientation anti-discrimination laws, get back to me.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
No one is asking you to.
Good to know.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Obviously not in this instance, because the business owner was silly enough to turn down her money and send her away.

If they are operating at a loss then yes they charge more - not retroactively of course, don't be ridiculous. (If they have a loss continually then they need to get the eff out of the business before they screw everyone including their landlord). They raise their prices to sufficiently cover their overhead. A business always covers their overhead in their pricing - or should at least be attempting to. They need sufficient margin to operate. Margin which come in the form of markup to the consumer.

Or, perhaps they're at a loss because they're at full market price but they can't attract enough custom, because they suck at marketing (hint - this isn't good for business).

So, if they're turning customers away based on personal beliefs and not sound business practice, perhaps they should sell wedding dresses as a hobby, to people that please them - then they won't chance getting so offended by their customers that they refuse to do their job, and they won't have to worry about all that pesky profit/loss thing.
OK.....my point is if a person has rights in a business.....do they also have responsibilities????

Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No one is prohibiting you your right to exercise your religion, you seem to not understand the meaning of the words you keep repeating, why does that not surprise me.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,994,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
OK.....my point is if a person has rights in a business.....do they also have responsibilities????
Yes of course. Nobody's saying they don't. But when their personal distastes interfere with their abilities to fulfill such, they have no one to blame but themselves. Perhaps those responsibilities should be paramount.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:22 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,693,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Actually when you think about it, homosexuals are bring treated like the new immigrant. My parents told me that when the Irish first came to America and were seeking work, stores hung signs in their windows that read, "Irish need not apply." Sadly, homosexuals are getting the same type of "welcome" from the Christians.
It does seem like some people want to live in a world where dress shop and bakery shop owners can put up signs saying "No Gays, Irish, Jews or Blacks Welcome" and as long as the shop owners are in the vastly overwhelming majority, their business will not suffer at all. Who cares if 1% or 3% of the population are refused service, who needs 'em, eh.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It does seem like some people want to live in a world where dress shop and bakery shop owners can put up signs saying "No Gays, Irish, Jews or Blacks Welcome" and as long as the shop owners are in the vastly overwhelming majority, their business will not suffer at all. Who cares if 1% or 3% of the population are refused service, who needs 'em, eh.
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies