Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 03:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
One question: Is this the only bridal shop in town or within driving distance? If no, then it's an attention-grabbing politically-motivated stunt where the end goal is destruction of a business who's owners have a different worldview than the actors here and thus must be punished as they attempt to "normalize" their chosen lifestyle.

Disgusting.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
The only argument I can find with the bridal shop owner is the notion that this in any way would be a "sanctified marriage". If she's uncomfortable with the customers, then she should in no way be obligated to take their money. If they're uncomfortable with the owner, then they should likewise in no way be obligated to spend their money at that business. Where did this idea that the customer (or potential customer) runs the business come from?

What is so freaking hard about this? What happened to freedom of association or freedom of speech?
Seriously.

I'll take money from anyone that wants to give it to me. I don't care what your race, nationality, religion, sexual preference or whatever is. Your dollars spend just as well as anyone else's.

HOWEVER, I'm very strongly against the legal requirement that "we [can] reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" unless that person can claim some sort of minority status, in which case we MUST serve them or risk facing a frivolous lawsuit. Whether you're right or wrong, fighting a suit like that is expensive, and those who bring them should have to face jail time if they lose.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:52 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Oh give me a break. WorkinHard,

Do they sell plus sized dresses? Because gluttony is a sin, as are people who get divorced and re-married, and people who wear clothing made of different fabrics.

How come you don't have a problem with those? Please, be specific.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
If she's uncomfortable with the customers, then she should in no way be obligated to take their money. If they're uncomfortable with the owner, then they should likewise in no way be obligated to spend their money at that business. Where did this idea that the customer (or potential customer) runs the business come from? What is so freaking hard about this?
This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
The only argument I can find with the bridal shop owner is the notion that this in any way would be a "sanctified marriage". If she's uncomfortable with the customers, then she should in no way be obligated to take their money. If they're uncomfortable with the owner, then they should likewise in no way be obligated to spend their money at that business. Where did this idea that the customer (or potential customer) runs the business come from?

What is so freaking hard about this? What happened to freedom of association or freedom of speech?
If you are in the business of selling dresses then you sell dresses to whomever walks through the door and pays the asking price. What weird logic allows you to decide whether the "morals" of your customer are worthy of your wares? Fortunately, your opinion is not going to prevail and people who think like you do will be silenced eventually.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:02 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
I just don't see the benefit to society overall with the new attitude of "your personal beliefs must match ours or we will destroy your business."

Old 08-08-2014, 04:04 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I just don't see the benefit to society overall with the new attitude of "your personal beliefs must match ours or we will destroy your business."
But you have no problem with the attitude of "your personal beliefs must match ours or we will refuse our services to you"?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
But you have no problem with the attitude of "your personal beliefs must match ours or we will refuse our services to you"?
There might be a smidgen of difference between "refuse service" and "destroy your business"--don't you think?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Oh give me a break. WorkinHard,

Do they sell plus sized dresses? Because gluttony is a sin, as are people who get divorced and re-married, and people who wear clothing made of different fabrics.

How come you don't have a problem with those? Please, be specific.
Well, to address your example, I'm not into fat chicks. That's a personal choice and not part of the issue here. To further address it, the very concept of "sin" is silly to me as I have no allegiance to any particular invisible sky friend. And what's the problem with blends? Sounds like you spend way too much time with your Bible.

The problem I have here is that two (or more, very likely more) individuals are attempting to ruin the business and livelihood of someone whom they really have no desire to do business with. They're simply offended that someone else's worldview does not match theirs and as such they will seek to destroy that person financially. Let's say it goes to court. Let's say they "win". Will they at that point want to buy their wedding mumus from this particular shop, or will knowing that they caused ruin of that shop be enough for them? What's their real goal? Seems pretty clear to anyone with two or more brain cells, and that is what makes the situation so disgusting. They're petty, hateful, narrow minded, spiteful, harmful, awful people who demand acceptance of their choices while seeking to destroy those who disagree with them. How very accepting, right?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
...people who think like you do will be silenced eventually.
By force? Sounds like a threat coming from those who demand acceptance of their own views while not accepting the views of others. So the one thing you will not tolerate is intolerance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies