Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 10:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Yeah, if only they knew their place and didn't call attention to being treated as second class citizens!

I am truly baffled by so called conservatives saying that business shouldn't face the consequences of refusing service to someone in a town where that is clearly not acceptable behavior. The shop owners can legally discriminate against someone for their sexual orientation in PA. The good people of Bloomsburg are saying that's not acceptable and are taking their business to another bridal shop. it's the free market at work but yet "conservatives" are all worked up about it.
I am a conservative.....I feel it is fair both ways.

I have the right to not sell to you.

You have the right not to buy.

We both have the right to be happy......or, not.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:54 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
We are not talking about Beliefs, we are talking about a Business, only someone that is totally delusional would believe a Business can have Beliefs
Those 5 judges who ruled in Hobby Lobby's favor are, of course, delusional.

The owners of businesses can have religious, moral, social beliefs reflected in how they operate their business. Maybe you don't have beliefs that supersede money or your number 1 belief is serve everyone.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You probably think Christians are delusional.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If people "walking through our doors" do not see that sign of "no service," then many customers may be ignorant to the proprietor's bigoted business practices, eh?
Not when they refuse service and those refused take their issue to social media. Customers won't remain ignorant for long. Many businesses rely on word of mouth. That can be a double edged sword.

You don't need a sign.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:13 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
I'm sure every business has customers whose views they disagree with. Generally speaking, you don't inquire about their views and their views aren't offered. I don't know what business you're in, but if you're the imaginary printer asked to print fund raising invited for a group whose views you strongly opposed, you at least agree [I think] you should legally be allowed to refuse.

Though you wouldn't be endorsing the group's views, you would be assisting their activities and promotion of their views.
Only if I were the last printer on earth. My compliance or refusal is not going to make the slightest bit of difference, as they'll get it printed somewhere. And as far as that goes - I don't see myself as everyone's arbiter of virtue. If I'm a printer I'm in the business of printing. People have the freedom to print something I might find distasteful, I'm not their Priest or their mother. As long as it's not illegal content it's not my business what it is I'm printing. Printing does not have a POV, it's a process not a dogma. And I'm not going to contribute to their fundraiser. That's where I take my personal stand.

Having said that, of course it shouldn't be illegal to not comply if you don't want to. If you want to compromise your business and all that that entails then that's your business.

However this is apples and cantaloupes to refusing service based on inherent characteristics of a particular human being, such as race. Which should absolutely be illegal.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If you say so then it must be true, well to you it is, I do not buy the concept and never will.
Why do they have Christian book stores or Jewish deli's if this is not true?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:22 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You probably think Christians are delusional.
Read the post I responded to, you silly goose.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:

The owners of businesses can have religious, moral, social beliefs reflected in how they operate their business. Maybe you don't have beliefs that supersede money or your number 1 belief is serve everyone.
I already said that, and what some have warned would be the result of that ruling are already starting to come about, you people opened Pandora's box and one day when you realize what you have done you will not be able to put the evil back in. Think of this way if a large business is own by a Satanist or Atheist they can now impose whatever rules they want and deny whatever they want in healthcare after all they are also protected. You will learn that lesson the hard way, Enjoy

Wrong again, you have the right to believe anything you want, a business is not a person nor can it have beliefs, true a business must abide by the law but as for the rest it does not have to do any such thing.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Why do they have Christian book stores or Jewish deli's if this is not true?
Silly, one sells books that have Christian content, it could change to be one that sells Occult content next week. A Jewish deli sells deli food, not really as Jewish as you may think, but that is another argument, they could be selling Tacos tomorrow. They are simply products, nothing more.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Printing is a bit different because speech is not protected in private transactions.
Not serving someone because they are white is discrimination and wrong.
Not printing flyers for a white nationalist rally is not discrimination and is the decent thing to do.

Not making a cake for someone because they are gay is discrimination and wrong.
Not making a cake because the gay customer wants explicit words written words all over it is not discrimination.
It is wrong for you because you believe homosexuality is not wrong. I do not get why people think that just because them and some other people believe in homosexuality that is automatically means it is right. There was a time when a lot of people believed that white people and colored people should be separated that does not mean it was right. If a known KKK member walks into a barbershop owned by a black men should the KKK member be helped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies