Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

I see post after post blaming Obama for things that are the responsibility of the House and Senate.

Its almost like folks do not understand how our government works. The president does have some very specific powers, but by far those aren't the things being complained about, but rather everyone seems intent on blaming Obama for things that the Senate and House are responsible for.

And looking back, this was true for Bush, Reagen, and Clinton. Its like they scapegoat presidents for their lack of competence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
I blame the Senate. The House has passed tons of bills that haven't been heard in the Senate. And liberals blame the House for everything (along with Bush).

Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 PM

195 posts, read 154,020 times
Reid and his leadership of the Senate has been in question since Jan, 2011.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
The OP is exactly right that the Congress makes the laws (and passes them). The President does have certain powers but the current occupant is abusing them to the extreme. But I think that the congress blames the President because that takes the heat off of them and as mentioned, most people don't know how the government works.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
If Harry Reid died tomorrow, I would celebrate profusely. Quite literally he is the biggest obstruction to progress in America. A rotten, despicable human being at his very core and a loud mouth little runt that needs a real ass beating pronto.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I see post after post blaming Obama for things that are the responsibility of the House and Senate.

Its almost like folks do not understand how our government works. The president does have some very specific powers, but by far those aren't the things being complained about, but rather everyone seems intent on blaming Obama for things that the Senate and House are responsible for.

And looking back, this was true for Bush, Reagen, and Clinton. Its like they scapegoat presidents for their lack of competence.
It's always interesting on a look back to see who originally sponsored a bill and how Senators and Reps voted.

Then again, by the time most bills get passed they are so stuffed with unrelated pork, it's not clear who voted for what or why. Every president since 1822 has asked for the power to execute a line item veto. 192 years later and Congress has not given the POTUS the power of line item veto.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:

Yes. On the other side of things, the President also gets credit for things he had nothing to do with as well. Obama gets the credit for killing Osama bin Laden, for example. All he did was say "yes". Other people hunted for and found bin Laden then planned and executed the operation to go after him. But Obama campaigned in the 2012 election that one of the reasons he should be re-elected was because bin Laden was dead.

I don't think it's scapegoating anyone for their lack of competence. This is the way it has always been. Presidents themselves set themselves up for it by blaming the previous president for things that weren't his fault and by making promises that they won't be able to keep. In 2008 Obama promised he would cut the deficit in half. He knew while making that promise that congress is what determines the budget, but he promised it anyway. Obama blamed Bush in 2008 for the problems in Iraq, so it's only natural that people now blame Obama for the renewed problems in Iraq.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's always interesting on a look back to see who originally sponsored a bill and how Senators and Reps voted.

Then again, by the time most bills get passed they are so stuffed with unrelated pork, it's not clear who voted for what or why. Every president since 1822 has asked for the power to execute a line item veto. 192 years later and Congress has not given the POTUS the power of line item veto.
Actually....I seem to recall that it was given, but then the Supreme court found it unconstitutional.

For those laying it on Reid-Please, how many has Bohner killed? Or help up? This isn't a "democrats WAAAHHH" thing. This is both parties since one controls the Senate, and the other the House. Trying to blame Reid is again.....scapegoating.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:

i have personally blamed Dingy Hairy and his thugs in the senate for a large amount of what is wrong.

He has not so much as taken up a single budget bill since what? Obama's first year in office?
there are hundreds of bills that have been passed by the House that he refuses to get a Senate version on.

I dont expect him to pass what the republican controlled house sends over, but at least pass something that can then be worked on in committee.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:02 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Voters DO blame Congress. Haven't you seen their approval polls? Historically low job approval rating of 13%, according to Gallup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies