Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times

Advertisements

Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It 'Reinforces Negative Stereotypes' | Kulture Kritic

Quote:

We had public affairs programming. We had news… I had a show
called
Teen Summit, we had a large variety of
programming, but the problem is that then the video revolution started up… And
then something started happening, and I didn’t like it at all. And I remember
during those days we would sit up and watch these videos and decide which ones
were going on and which ones were not. We got a lot of backlash from recording
artists…and we had to start showing them. I didn’t like the way women were being
portrayed in these videos
.”
When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening. Remember that little gem??? I sure do!! Youtube the video "Tip Drill", if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

I agree with her words in the article.......But she and her husband gave it all away.....I agree with her. But I also wanna tell her to sit down and shut her pie hole!

Read that full article.....tell me what you think.....

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-15-2014 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright

Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Co-Founder of BET Slams Network, Says It 'Reinforces Negative Stereotypes' | Kulture Kritic

When Sheila and her husband-at-the-time Robert Johnson owned the network, the racy “BET Uncut” music video series would broadcast late in the evening. Remember that little gem??? I sure do!! Youtube the video "Tip Drill", if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

I agree with her words in the article.......But she and her husband gave it all away.....I agree with her. But I also wanna tell her to sit down and shut her pie hole!

so if you agree with her why not follow your own advice?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:21 AM

43 posts, read 33,290 times
Quote:

l laugh at this. BET should just say I is what I is. Every other word has to be blurped out.

"I get up Blurping morning and I smoke some blurp...........I call up the blurp and say come on over blurp. I no need no job cause the blurp will hit the street. Pimping aint easy."

And what was the one about not needing a diploma by Drake? You know the one where he basically calls people who pursue education losers. Nice dreads and tattoos and blue hair for the job interview.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:

What a joke. Its laughable. Great family entertainment. Rappers put out great guidance for them. Lots of love songs about having as many women as you can. Starting businesses in the pharmaceutical field. Also they are really tough. Two of the artist that have had parts on Lil waynes songs were killed. Classy I tell you.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:46 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator19 View Post
l laugh at this. BET should just say I is what I is. Every other word has to be blurped out.

"I get up Blurping morning and I smoke some blurp...........I call up the blurp and say come on over blurp. I no need no job cause the blurp will hit the street. Pimping aint easy."

And what was the one about not needing a diploma by Drake? You know the one where he basically calls people who pursue education losers. Nice dreads and tattoos and blue hair for the job interview.
You mean one of the most influential music genres in the past 3 decades?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You mean one of the most influential music genres in the past 3 decades?

Influence isn't always a GOOD thing.....

Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator19 View Post
What a joke. Its laughable. Great family entertainment. Rappers put out great guidance for them. Lots of love songs about having as many women as you can. Starting businesses in the pharmaceutical field. Also they are really tough. Two of the artist that have had parts on Lil waynes songs were killed. Classy I tell you.
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Every other music channel has just as much hip hop as BET does.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
BET is just mass corporate media like any other.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Every other music channel has just as much hip hop as BET does.
OK keep it going then. I don't care. Want to compare lyrics?

Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
BET is garbage, but it's no worse than its competitors. Wanna tell me how VH1 and MTV are cultural beacons of light and virtue?

Go ahead...make a case.

Why is it so important that BET be the straight arrow while their competitors pump out garbage that gets high ratings? Because it's the so called "black" entertainment channel, and us kneegrows can't be trusted to have anything but good influences on TV lest we all go to hell?

This is just more race baiting garbage. She and her husband sold out to Viacom and ran with their billions. They didn't care about the channel having a "positive impact" when they cashed their checks. So they oughta shut the hell up and go shopping.
The music videos are all garbage. I would rather listen to the song and make my own memories with it.. not watch a trashy video on the song.. they should do away with music videos.. I rather have the singers perform the song standing there singing.It was classy back in the day.
This is class!!

Four Tops Bernadette 1967 HQ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies