Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is nothing new. It's just that the White House has decided to back this issue, so it's being taken seriously by colleges and universities. I think it was back in the 90's when Harvard or Yale (maybe both) began to require verbal consent from women, prior to initiating sex. That was their new standard. Obviously, that's not supportable in court; it would still come down to he-said, she-said. But it was a new guideline that was given incoming Freshmen, along with the other students.
If this law passes, you can forget about men picking women up in a bar.

Freshmen and Sophomore college girls shouldn't be drinking, it is illegal. Not saying I didn't drink at that age, I did, and I drank a lot. I drank a lot with girls back then. But it was still illegal, and no one was throwing the rape word around the next day when you both woke up with a hangover either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 PM

364 posts, read 370,933 times
Here is my issue with the drugs and alcohol consent.

You choose to take these substances. But now you can't choose to have sex? Wait, you can, but you get to choose if it was consensual the next morning.

Do you see the problem here? I'm not talking stumbling drunk, I'm talking your average college night out where you could just as easily walked home or hailed a cab under your own will. You still can't consent? BS. Women just want full control of male sexuality and punish them by law if they regret or are unhappy with the situation after the fact.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipe out View Post

You choose to take these substances. But now you can't choose to have sex? Wait, you can, but you get to choose if it was consensual the next morning.

Do you see the problem here? I'm not talking stumbling drunk, I'm talking your average college night out where you could just as easily walked home or hailed a cab under your own will. You still can't consent? BS. Women just want full control of male sexuality and punish them by law if they regret or are unhappy with the situation after the fact.
Next time I get a DUI, I'm going to say I didn't give the car consent, see how well that goes over in court.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM

It is sexual assault if he or she says no in any form, cannot walk or is not coherent, or physically resists.

Having a few and then getting naked is not sexual assault if you regret it in the morning. It is if you said no or was incredibly hammered, but there will likely be witnesses to confirm you were that tanked. Or you better go get a blood test to show how annihilated you decided to get. Unless you're puking or barely conscious, I really struggle with that definition.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
It is sexual assault if he or she says no in any form, cannot walk or is not coherent, or physically resists.

Having a few and then getting naked is not sexual assault if you regret it in the morning. It is if you said no or was incredibly hammered, but there will likely be witnesses to confirm you were that tanked. Or you better go get a blood test to show how annihilated you decided to get. Unless you're puking or barely conscious, I really struggle with that definition.
Don't have sex with drunk girls.

Problem solved.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:06 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

This is the risk once colleges wade into that cesspool. The article acknowledged that was a problem. So far, the precedents in court cases have only held men responsible if the victim was passed out or obviously barely conscious. That's a pretty clear standard. Anything short of that in cases involving alcohol gets very tricky if there isn't a clear "no". I don't see how that's legislatable. What could be legislated is not allowing minors into dorms or frats where alcohol is being served, but universities already have guidelines on that.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Nothing will change: If you are white and rich, your dad gets you a good lawyer who specializes in defending date rapists. You get off. If you are poor and black, you get convicted of rape and get a mandatory sentence of 10-40 years.

If you are in between, 99% of you are already in compliance because you've never even gotten close to having sex.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Oh good, we haven't had a brisk rape apology debate in ages.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:09 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
False rape accusations are indeed something not to be taken lightly, but according to a British study last year, they are rare: False Rape Allegations Rare, But 'Damaging Myths' Harm Real Rape Victims, Says CPS' Keir Starmer

Quote:
The "trailblazing" research, the first of its kind, has discovered that false allegations of rape and domestic violence are "very rare", with only a very small number of cases where there was enough evidence and it was considered in the public interest to prosecute.
The thing is, many many more cases of sexual assault are never reported, because women are ashamed, or they don't want their character assassinated in public, or because they're not quite sure what happened to them. Or if they are reported, authorities won't believe them. It's good that colleges and universities are taking the matter seriously, and we can only hope that students will still have fun but think before they act. We'll see.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Nothing will change: If you are white and rich, your dad gets you a good lawyer who specializes in defending date rapists. You get off. If you are poor and black, you get convicted of rape and get a mandatory sentence of 10-40 years.

If you are in between, 99% of you are already in compliance because you've never even gotten close to having sex.
Don't get so emotional.

I only argue against giving certain types of women the power to ruin lives because they can't come to terms with their poor life choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies