Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,637,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Society is ultimately ruled by laws, and that's the recognition that counts.
Society is ultimately ruled by people, laws are merely a framework for societal behavior and control.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't speak for all of "society", but I don't care what you think of my marriage. As long as you don't break the law in your failure
If you are husband and wife you have a marriage. Anything else is literally something else altogether.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
You can speak for yourself, but trust me the you do not speak for all of society.
Never said I did and you speak not of society either, and you certainly can trust me on that score.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 PM

32,095 posts, read 15,096,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
If you are husband and wife you have a marriage. Anything else is literally something else altogether.
Why is that? I know a few gay couples that have been together longer than some of these "married couples". In fact, they have been together for decades. Why should we deny them the right to be married. Why is it our business when it doesn't even affect any of us.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,059,252 times
Quote:
Doesn't mean anything. I'll never recognize nor ever acknowledge such arrangements as anything other than just that: arrangements set up to accommodate the homosexual under a counterfeit guise.

Doesn't mean anything. Neither society nor myself shall ever recognize nor ever acknowledge such arrangements as anything other than just that: false arrangements set up to accommodate the homosexual under a counterfeit guise devoid of any meaning and zero context.
It's more than a bit arrogant to speak for all of society.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 PM

260 posts, read 195,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Bluntly put, you're wrong here. Many, many states deliberately made sure the legal rights were kept out of reach as well. The narrative that it was all about the word "marriage" and that there was other avenues open to gay couples who just wanted equal rights is a smokescreen covering the bigots' retreat. They never intended to acquiesce in granting equal rights.
Flip-flops which get overturned if you haven't noticed in the name of 'marriage equality'. I assure everyone, barring an apocalyptic-proportionate devastation, the push for these rights is an assured win across the board, or as much of it as possible. I would know (don't ask).

Look, I understand the basic premise behind pushing SSM. I will always think and feel that it is wrong due to what marriage is. Humans can do better than coddle dead religious ceremonies absorbed by the state to keep the masses quelled and participating. I realize that in order to get something one has to accept the Lowest Common Denominator when it comes to something so broad and ingrained in the American psyche on both pro- and anti- sides such as sex. So called mainstream suburbanite-like homosexuals want their HOA to accept them and people afraid Satan jumped out of Dana Carvey's wig are worried that their children will play dress-up with make-up. So dreadful marriage was chosen. It really is an ugly, binding concept. But the banner associations... LGBT'ers (and whatever else has been adopted) ought to be ashamed at their brazen grab at something so foul. They could do better, members of that community have done better for society as a whole.

Nonetheless the political (thus sociological) need for dramas, too many people on both sides of the two-winged party either are, know of, have birthed or lost someone close to who is or was non-heterosexual. But society doesn't just change overnite... so there has to be a spectacle and a long drawn-out parade of aired decisions. There is a lot changing in this world and no one wants to be afraid.

Last edited by BluntBoo; 08-25-2014 at 10:45 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Doesn't mean anything. I'll never recognize nor ever acknowledge such arrangements as anything other than just that: arrangements set up to accommodate the homosexual under a counterfeit guise.
Like the counterfeit romance of marriage?

So busy wanting to be normal LGBT'ers could have beneficially changed the rules for the better. But maudlin attempts to placate rubes and easy cognitive associations with romantic ideals of marriage... It was so wrong to demand such a thing. I don't know quite what made the mainstream something glamorous, but it did and would have done much better if mediocrity hadn't been wanted by those who taught a generation that traditions weren't all good and needed to be forgotten and let fall into neglect.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Society is ultimately ruled by people, laws are merely a framework for societal behavior and control.
And if you knew how many people who are perfectly sane, un-demonically great folks who just happen to be same-sexualists, you'd know how and why things are changing.

Do you know anything about history, how prevalent same-sex is throughout history and practiced in the most beneficial, powerful state entities ever to exist? Yet you feel that you hate it (or are getting paid to pretend to hate it) and so the world must stop and adhere to your ideas as you are some grand Caesar full of power?

Society will not collapse if two people of the same sex are allowed to live together in peace w/o hiding from censure and some odd hate usually held by those who can't understand their own passions who live in fear on a variety of fronts when it comes to how they see people should live.

Yes, society is people and people are noticing that airing Ellen isn't causing earthquakes and that Canada seems to be doing just fine with nary a brimstone storm to burn its cities to ash.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,787,189 times
Quote:

Doesn't mean anything. Neither society nor myself shall ever recognize nor ever acknowledge such arrangements as anything other than just that: false arrangements set up to accommodate the homosexual under a counterfeit guise devoid of any meaning and zero context.
You don't speak for society, and frankly nobody actually cares what your opinion on the matter is seeing as you absolutely zero say in the matter.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 PM

29,594 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Since you as an individual can do nothing, then society is not ruled by the people. It is ruled by laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies