Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,885,521 times

Advertisements

This is but one reason why I am against homeschooling.

Parents allegedly stopped homeschooling their kids because they believed Jesus Christ was returning to Earth .

Quote:
Michael McIntyre’s twin brother, Tracy, testified that the parents used empty space in a motorcycle dealership that he co-owned as a classroom. But Tracy said that he never saw the children reading books, using computers or doing arithmetic. Instead, the children were seen playing instruments and singing.

“Tracy overhead one of the McIntyre children tell a cousin that they did not need to do schoolwork because they were going to be raptured,” the court document noted.
Texas court rules against homeschoolers who expected rapture and stopped teaching kids

Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,380,020 times
So what?? The courts rightly recognized a flimsy excuse and invalidated the "indoctrination disguised as education"; that is how the system is supposed to work.

Speaking strictly for myself, I just wish the same rule applied when some NEA robot starts prattling to impressionable youngsters about "global warming" -- or similar tommyrot.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:40 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,541,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Parents allegedly stopped homeschooling their kids because they believed Jesus Christ was returning to Earth .

Texas court rules against homeschoolers who expected rapture and stopped teaching kids
Weird for sure, but why are you concerned about what people do in their own homes? If they believe they are males born in a females body...oops I mean if they believe in Heysoos, who are we to judge. What people do in the privacy of their own homes is their business, right homophobe?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM

32,832 posts, read 19,548,033 times
Quote:

AND???? your POINT??????

City schools to close for Obama's inauguration -

Baltimore schools will close Jan. 20 to recognize the historic significance of President-elect Barack Obama 's swearing-in as the first African-American president of the United States

the liberals rapture

Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,868,873 times
I do not support public funding of homeschooling.

With about a third of all children being overweight, tells me a heck of a lot of parents can't even control what their own kids eat or understand the consequences.

Most parents do not have the apptitude or skills to teach.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So what?? The courts rightly recognized a flimsy excuse and invalidated the "indoctrination disguised as education"; that is how the system is supposed to work.

Speaking strictly for myself, I just wish the same rule applied when some NEA robot starts prattling to impressionable youngsters about "global warming" -- or similar tommyrot.
So what? These children have been receiving this non-education since 2004!

The parents believed this was their 1st amendment right.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,986,524 times
Quote:

You're all for "privacy" until you're not.

You're all for living one's own life, until you're not.

Why do you believe the state is wiser than them?

I happen to think they're wrong for failing to continue educating. But I also think they're entitled to believe and do as they believe they should. Neither the state NOR YOU are qualified to decide these things for them.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,986,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I do not support public funding of homeschooling.

With about a third of all children being overweight, tells me a heck of a lot of parents can't even control what their own kids eat or understand the consequences.

Most parents do not have the apptitude or skills to teach.
Provide some evidence that that public school system produces better outcomes.

I simply do not accept your premises, prove them.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
So what? These children have bee receiving this non-education since 2004!
I just saw a kid go through 12 years of public school and not be able to read a single sentence.
That was my first.

How did he do it you might ask....

IEP..everything is read to him and he gives verbal answers.
And he got his HS diploma this past June.
School patted themselves on the back for graduating another fine student and sent them out into the world.
And no, he was not SPED.

How well do you think this student is going to do ?

Old 08-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You're all for "privacy" until you're not.

You're all for living one's own life, until you're not.

Why do you believe the state is wiser than them?

I happen to think they're wrong for failing to continue educating. But I also think they're entitled to believe and do as they believe they should. Neither the state NOR YOU are qualified to decide these things for them.
Except their children have no choice but to be raised ignorant and without the education to survive without government assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies