Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I'm a gun owner, and I've been punched in the face before. I know the difference between right and wrong and I certainly know better than to CHASE after the unarmed person who hit me and to shot him (if that is what happened). Cops should be held to a higher moral standard given their job instead of lowing the bar and holding them to a lesser standard than you and I.
Very well said!

Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
It's funny that in all your consideration, you cannot consider that the suspect (you remember, Brown had just committed strong arm robbery minutes before) may have lashed out violently at the unsuspecting officer, in the thought that the officer actually knew about his just committed robbery and was attempting to arrest him for it.

Context matters (to sane people anyway).
Okay, I give you that, but that in it's self does not justify shooting an unarmed man even IF Brown may have lashed out violently at the unsuspecting officer minutes earlier...

Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 PM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
How does that justify shooting him?
When he attacked the officer and caused him injury. Attack an officer, and expect that they can use their full legal authority to use all means necessary to stop the threat.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Attack an officer, and you expect deference from the officer towards the criminal based on the criminals actions after the fact?

Explain this logic, please.
The logic is in the cop's job requirement, and the law to which it pertains.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
When he attacked the officer and caused him injury. Attack an officer, and expect that they can use their full legal authority to use all means necessary to stop the threat.
Was the officer being attacked when he shot the gun?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Okay, I give you that, but that in it's self does not justify shooting an unarmed man even IF Brown may have lashed out violently at the unsuspecting officer minutes earlier...
Minutes earlier? Did I miss where there was some alleged down time between the officers confrontation and the shooting?

Did Brown attack, then pause for minutes, then Wilson went on a murderous rampage?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
you remember, Brown had just committed strong arm robbery minutes before) may have lashed out violently at the unsuspecting officer, in the thought that the officer actually knew about his just committed robbery and was attempting to arrest him for it.

Context matters (to sane people anyway).
You mean, Brown who stole a $48.99 cent box of cigars and towered over and shoved a clerk. That
Brown, who when Wilson pulled over, did not even have a clue Brown was the suspect from the robbery. That Brown, who Wilson told to get the **** on the sidewalk. That Brown, who lay dead in the street, while Wilson was alive, healthy, alert, and walking next to his dead body.

Yes, context does matter. Sanity on the other hand, is so overrated

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
No Maryland, that is not how it works for citizens or law enforcement. According to witnesses, the attack was already over an done with. It was not in progress at the time of the shooting. Why are you trying to merge the timeline of events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Was the officer being attacked when he shot the gun?
Was he not being attacked when he fired?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
No Maryland, that is not how it works for citizens or law enforcement. According to witnesses, the attack was already over an done with. It was not in progress at the time of the shooting. Why are you trying to merge the timeline of events?
According to what witnesses? I am (still) aware of the cell phone video witness saying Brown charged, and I am unaware of any of the FBI's interviewed witnesses (as are you).

If we are to rely on MSNBC's "witnesses", then yes, I see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies