Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
These are supposed to be police not the military. Why do police need to patrol the streets with automatic rifles? Are we under military occupation?

These are weapons of war. What's next on the police dept. wishlist? Tanks and bazookas?
"Why do police need to patrol the streets with automatic rifles"

Because they are NOT automatic weapons.

The "real" Cisco Kid would be insulted for the use of his name by someone who doesn't know that AR-15s are NOT fully automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
There's no need for assault or assault type weapons on a school campus, unless someone is threatening to blow up the school. But that's what they have the SWAT for. I guess the LAPD is just power crazy.
With every post you make yourself look sillier and sillier with your TOTAL lack of knowledge of guns.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Novice shooters almost always shoot better with an AR than a shotgun or a pistol.
Not my experience, shotguns are easy to learn once they get past the noise and small handguns can be a lot of fun for new shooters. My wife and the lady next door both did better with the shotguns and .380 and 9mm handguns in the beginning than they did with the 5.56mm, the black guns tend to intimidate some at first. Now both are fine with anything they pick up, oh except for my Ruger .44mag SBH, SA Revolver, but most people that are small in stature do not do as well shooting cannons, heck it took me a while before I got a good feel for shooting the thing, darn good gun though, only single action I own. Now if you are talking about a 10/22 then sure, not much noise or kick but not the best self-defense gun, will do in a pinch, will definitely put tree rats and cotton tails in the stew pot. Depends on the AR, the small ones, 5.56mm/.223cal., are ok and people pick up the feel fairly quick, but the 7.62 NATO/.308's I own are usually far too much for a novice and I never start anyone with one. Then again we are talking about being inside a home, in tight quarters, in the dark, and the adrenaline is pumping overtime, that is not a best scenario for a novice using an AR, still say shotgun or even handgun, will not change my mind. As shooting4life said, to each their own.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:42 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He appears wise enough to know the difference between a semi-automatic rifle and an assault weapon.
My assault weapon of choice!
Scary lookin ain't it?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually a short shotgun would be a better tool than a handgun or any AR. Handguns required far more skill and training to hit a target in the dark and when nervous. An AR while holding more rounds than most handguns, depending on if you are using 20 or 30 round mags, some handguns can hold 20, also requires more skill and the rounds are high velocity and can not only pass through walls they can pass through the walls of the home next door and harm or kill those living there. A shotgun on the other hand can be loaded with shot that will stop an intruder but not pass through your homes walls and enter the home next door and requires far less skill to hit the target. Out of the home the AR would be the best choice, inside it you are wrong or simply do not care about the people living around you.
I prefer the Judge.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Who made you boss of the forum? I'll speak as I please.

High capacity magazine, high rate of fire lets you shoot as fast as you can squeeze the trigger with little recoil. Ideal for taking out a large number of people in a short amount of time with high degree of control and accuracy. That's an assault rifle type weapon. Semi-auto on an assault rifle is not the same thing as semi-auto on a hunting rifle, as the proponents would have you believe. If you were to try that with a hunting type rifle (squeezing the trigger as fast as you can) all that recoil would shatter your arm, and it would not be accurate.

And as mentioned, it isn't too hard to convert the AR15 to fully automatic for even greater firepower.

AR15 automatic (slide fire) conversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4kFzECXGs
"I'll speak as I please.' NO ONE is stopping you from making a fool of yourself.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Why do police need to patrol the streets with automatic rifles"

Because they are NOT automatic weapons.

The "real" Cisco Kid would be insulted for the use of his name by someone who doesn't know that AR-15s are NOT fully automatic.
And why not, they had no problem letting me operate them while in uniform and pointed at other people no less, seems only fair I should have that option now. In fact I would suggest that anyone that served in a combat role in the military, has a job that requires they be proficient in the use of firearms, police, special operators and the such, owns or operates gun ranges or has the specialized state approved training and certification should have the option (got to ensure everyone is safe). It is only logical, the same people have been trusted to use them while in uniform or in the course of their duties then why is it they are no longer trusted when they on their own time in civilian clothes, does that make any sense, doesn't to me. I would love to make My M1A into the M14 it really should be, the Ruger SR-762 would be kick arse with the ability to select full auto, and the Windham 5.56mm would be a hoot and a trip back down memory lane. Problem is I would go broke after about a week of everybody shooting up my ammo, darn there is always a down side
Maybe if I don't tell anyone I converted them they will not want to try them out, nope I would have to share, it would be too much fun to see the smiles on their faces the first time they let the gun Rock and Roll.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
My assault weapon of choice!
Scary lookin ain't it?
You better submit your patent now, you just gave away your future money maker

Might have to make me one of those, I have all the parts, oh oh.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I prefer the Judge.
Nice gun, 45 cal. for bad guys and .410 for filling the stew pot.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Who made you boss of the forum? I'll speak as I please.

High capacity magazine, high rate of fire lets you shoot as fast as you can squeeze the trigger with little recoil. Ideal for taking out a large number of people in a short amount of time with high degree of control and accuracy. That's an assault rifle type weapon. Semi-auto on an assault rifle is not the same thing as semi-auto on a hunting rifle, as the proponents would have you believe. If you were to try that with a hunting type rifle (squeezing the trigger as fast as you can) all that recoil would shatter your arm, and it would not be accurate.

And as mentioned, it isn't too hard to convert the AR15 to fully automatic for even greater firepower.

Your lack of knowledge on rifles is very apparent. Recoil has to do with the caliber, and weight of the rifle. An AR-15 for the most part is chambered in .223, some are .308 but .223 is the most popular. A .223 AR-15 will have the same felt recoil as any semi auto rifle chambered in .223. Your argument that the AR has less recoil than a hunting rifle chambered in the same is simply a false premise. There is absolutely no tactical advantage other than comfort, between the AR and a hunting rifle that are use the same caliber. Also, there is nothing about the AR or it's design that makes it more accurate than a semi auto hunting rifle. If you mount good optics on either, they will perform the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies