Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

businesses not considered discrimination?

Also, why is "ladies'-night" at clubs, where women might get discounted or free drinks due to the fact that they are women, not a discriminatory practice? I thought you were required to treat all customers equally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:45 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
I looked at the thread in question and found most people just didn't care about the church bulletin discount. The real question is why are you always making up ficticious positions and then attributing them to "liberals"? Do you enjoy fighting against strawmen that much or does it scare you to actually listen to what people ACTUALLY have to say instead of what you wish they would say or hope they would say?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I looked at the thread in question and found most people just didn't care about the church bulletin discount. The real question is why are you always making up ficticious positions and then attributing them to "liberals"?
Apparently enough people cared to warrant news coverage and lawsuit threats by FFRF. This is not a fictitious position though.

Here is the position of one atheist group:
Church Bulletin Discounts - Freedom From Religion Foundation

Although you're right, I cannot determine with 100% accuracy whether or not said group is left or right-wing. I just had a hunch they weren't conservatives. Therefore, I deleted the word "liberal" from the thread. Now you can explain the logic behind going after restaurants offering 10% discounts, but not going after bars for offering discounts based on gender.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:54 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
businesses not considered discrimination?

Also, why is "ladies'-night" at clubs, where women might get discounted or free drinks due to the fact that they are women, not a discriminatory practice? I thought you were required to treat all customers equally?
Who said it isn't? I'm liberal and I really really hate so called ladies' nights. For one, because it implies that women are not capable of buying their own drinks, and for two, because it implies there's lots of drunk women who'll flirt with your lame arse for the price of a free cocktail.

I also don't think women need special incentives to open businesses, they're quite capable of doing so even in the face of possible discrimination when it comes to business loans etc. Although you'll find that the incentives really aren't much to write home about, and that corporate incentives way out weigh any special breaks for women owned small businesses, no matter who the principal is. So I'd rather they just drop it altogether, doesn't really help and makes women appear weak and incapable. Which is worse than the "help".

Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
It's pretty simple, really. In these things it's never a question of whether a certain practice is discrimination, it is whether it is prohibited discrimination.

In this particular case, the law prohibits discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of religion, but in most (if not all) states it does not prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sex or age.

I disagree with practices like free admisison for women, discounts for people above a certain age, and so forth, but the law is what it is.

Think4Yourself is 100% correct: you're reaching way out on a limb to make some dispute about "the liberals".

Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's pretty simple, really. In these things it's never a question of whether a certain practice is discrimination, it is whether it is prohibited discrimination.

In this particular case, the law prohibits discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of religion, but in most (if not all) states it does not prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sex or age.

I disagree with practices like free admisison for women, discounts for people above a certain age, and so forth, but the law is what it is.

Think4Yourself is 100% correct: you're reaching way out on a limb to make some dispute about "the liberals".
So giving discounts based on gender is not prohibited, but giving discounts based on the ability to furnish a church bulletin is?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Again, despite the global economy and situation, the US people persist in pissing contests about wedding dresses, cakes, farm weddings, pizza coupons in church bulletins and ladies night.

How the heck did we turn into a culture of whiny -preschoolers, in need of a nap?

Becoming outraged or not is a choice.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
If you don't like it then write your Congressman.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:15 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Again, despite the global economy and situation, the US people persist in pissing contests about wedding dresses, cakes, farm weddings, pizza coupons in church bulletins and ladies night.

How the heck did we turn into a culture of whiny -preschoolers, in need of a nap?

Becoming outraged or not is a choice.
I have a lot of respect for you, and you're generally spot on, so I respectfully disagree on this one.

Life goes on and these things are also important in the grand scheme, when it pertains to you and yours and the fair treatment of such.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Who said it isn't? I'm liberal and I really really hate so called ladies' nights. For one, because it implies that women are not capable of buying their own drinks, and for two, because it implies there's lots of drunk women who'll flirt with your lame arse for the price of a free cocktail.

I also don't think women need special incentives to open businesses, they're quite capable of doing so even in the face of possible discrimination when it comes to business loans etc. Although you'll find that the incentives really aren't much to write home about, and that corporate incentives way out weigh any special breaks for women owned small businesses, no matter who the principal is. So I'd rather they just drop it altogether, doesn't really help and makes women appear weak and incapable. Which is worse than the "help".

As a former DJ, I loved ladies nights. Why? The ladies are the ones that get the dance floor going. Not a bunch of dudes. Plus who the hell wants to go to a sausage party? I hated DJing at bars where there were more men than women. Boooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies