Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 AM

662 posts, read 1,049,385 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what to even think any more.

Read this:

Quote:
Omaha police officers were running and gunning to make compelling TV when they sprayed bullets at an armed robbery suspect, killing him and a 'Cops' crewman ... so claims the dead suspect's family.

TMZ spoke with one of Cortez Washington's relatives ... who believes the officers used excessive force Tuesday night -- and were "hyped up" to put on a good show when they responded to the Wendy's.

As we reported ... 'Cops' sound supervisor Bryce Dion died after getting hit by friendly fire from Omaha PD during the shootout with Washington -- who was holding a Wendy's employee at gun point.

Washington's firearm turned out to be a pellet gun -- modeled after a real semi-automatic pistol -- and his family thinks officers should have recognized it wasn't a lethal weapon before they unloaded more than 20 rounds. One family member told us, "With everything going on in Ferguson, you think they would use other options."

Read more: 'Cops' Shootout Suspect -- Family Compares Omaha to Ferguson ... Police Were Showing Off | TMZ.com

So basically a guy robs somebody with a weapon, and the family felt the cops should have ''recognized'' the gun? Makes no sense at all. There is not way a cop can tell that the weapon you have during a robbery is ''fake''. That's just my opinion.

Their family member's actions just caused the death of someone innocent.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
This incident is in no way similar to the Ferguson shooting. The suspect was committing a serious crime and brandishing a weapon in the process, and it doesn't matter if it was a real firearm or not. The police had no way to know that. I feel for the suspects family, but I'm not surprised they want to jump on the Ferguson bandwagon. The real tragedy here is the innocent bystander being killed.
I'm not well versed on Nebraska law, but in many jurisdictions the person committing the crime can be charged with any deaths that result because of it. If this guy had survived his wounds, he very well could have been charged in the death of the bystander, even though he didn't fire the bullet that killed him.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 AM

662 posts, read 1,049,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
This incident is in no way similar to the Ferguson shooting. The suspect was committing a serious crime and brandishing a weapon in the process, and it doesn't matter if it was a real firearm or not. The police had no way to know that. I feel for the suspects family, but I'm not surprised they want to jump on the Ferguson bandwagon. The real tragedy here is the innocent bystander being killed.
I'm not well versed on Nebraska law, but in many jurisdictions the person committing the crime can be charged with any deaths that result because of it. If this guy had survived his wounds, he very well could have been charged in the death of the bystander, even though he didn't fire the bullet that killed him.
I was thinking that. If he was still alive he'd be charged with murder more than likely. He had a gun next to the employee's head. Doesn't get much more intense than that.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
I think the cops should have summoned a wizard who could have cast a paralyzing spell on this poor young child who wasn't doing anything wrong while robbing the Wendy's.

BTW, they released a photo of the perp:

Old 08-28-2014, 01:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
They just want to cash in on a lawsuit against "Cops."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies