Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons in 1994 on the promise that the U.S., UK and Russia would respect its territorial integrity. Ukraine didn’t sign on to the Budapest Memorandum because it feared a British invasion. Based on its history with its neighbor, it feared a Russian invasion. It wanted backup for giving up the one serious deterrent that it had for preventing such an invasion.

“We gave up nuclear weapons because of this agreement,” said Rizanenko, a member of the Udar Party headed by Vitali Klitschko, a candidate for president. “Now there’s a strong sentiment in Ukraine that we made a big mistake.”
Ukraine didn't actually own nuclear weapons. When the USSR fell apart, there were USSR nuclear weapons on Ukrainian territory. The Ukrainian government never had the codes and command system to use them. They basically just shipped the Russian stuff back to Russia, and the agreement just made everyone feel better.

However, the Memorandum was never any kind of mutual defense treaty. It was a promise from each the agreeing nations themselves not to interfer with Ukrainian sovereignty. It was not a plege from any state to defend Ukraine.

So Ukraine handed the Russians' weapons back to them on a promise from Russia that Russia would honor Ukraine's sovereinty.

The Russians lied. This should suprise no one. But Ukraine could not have credibly threatened a nuclear war anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I see...

I said that this situation is best handled by the many capable militaries in the immediate vicinity that have more than ample resources to take out ISIS.

The Muslim forces in several Muslim nations adjacent to the trouble are well equipped to deal with this Muslim-generated uprising. Get it?

It's not our fight.
Why do you think that other Arab countries should interfere and the US shouldn't? How is it their "fight" when nothing is happening in their country? It's not to say that they may be preparing for something (Qatar has mandatory military service since last year and the UAE passed a law this year that there will be mandatory military service), but only when it hits home. Or do you just want to see the entire ME explode??

Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 PM

88 posts, read 107,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
And Obama's attending yet another fund raiser. Be fair and balanced now.
Honestly? stop worrying about Obama playing "Golf" or attending another "Fundraiser". He is not neglecting his duties as Commander in Chief!
The Right Wing wants to point him out as not being "effectual" yet he was very "effectual" when he killed Bin Laden.
The "message" Obama is sending out is "Terrorism" doesn't define US Foreign policy. We define our policy.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:02 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What is wrong with killing terrorists en masse?

Come on now. You have to do it in a humanitarian fashion else the liberals will get all bent out of shape. You catch a terrorist in a building. You ask him in English if he is a terrorist. If he jabbers back in another language, you shoot him. If he answers back in English, you shoot him because he's one of the English or American traitors that joined up with them. You must handle it in a fair and equitable way.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Tell me more about this terrible threat from ISIS that's so different and more ominous than what al qaeda and a dozen other hate groups have plotted over the past dozen years or so.

Please...
Are you claiming that there has never been a terrorist attack in the US over the past dozen years or so?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami3 View Post
Honestly? stop worrying about Obama playing "Golf" or attending another "Fundraiser". He is not neglecting his duties as Commander in Chief!
The Right Wing wants to point him out as not being "effectual" yet he was very "effectual" when he killed Bin Laden.
The "message" Obama is sending out is "Terrorism" doesn't define US Foreign policy. We define our policy.
Honestly? Then lay off Rand Paul and everyone else. Be fair and balanced.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. Sorry. I don't get angry over a poster's comment, internet is not serious business.

by the way, what you've just posted is laughable and a bit off topic. I am not a competitive person. I am not interested in finding out who is more patriotic, who is not. At this point, I think all you are interested in is arguing. I am not interested in any of that.
Yes you do. You get angry over MY comments. You cannot resist.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:11 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Should we really get in the middle of a Shia--Sunni religious war that's been kindling for 1,400 years? Whichever faction emerges victorious will hate America.

Let the crazies in the Middle East expend their energies, monies, & munitions on each other.

Why do you guys think Columbus avoided the ME when he sailed to find the New World? There is a reason for that.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:15 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
This is just another example of Barack Hussein Obama playing the 'POLL" card
was it not Barack Hussein Obama who stated " I'm a total newcomer and have
absolutely no experience at anything except community organizing "

Well, his track record is evident enough that his actions, character and his word are not trustworthy.
He's proven this countless times, Fast & Furious, Benghazi, Debt Ceiling, IRS targeted Obama’s enemies, Rosengate, Holder perjury, The Pigford scandal, GSA gone wild, Solyndra, The New Black Panthers, bypassing Congress to Delay Elements of Obamacare, you get the idea as the list continues to get longer.

Obama demands his media cheerleaders to look the other way, accept excuses without much challenge and turn his critics and whistle blowers into enemies. and sadly quite a few Americans have bought into this Dog & Pony show *

I sincerely hope this will be the last of ' Presidential Training ' as it's become quite clear that under
the Barack Hussein Obama administration we are watching the demise of a free democratic society
that used to be the United States of America, and it started when this IDIOT was voted in...TWICE

He's had EVERY opportunity to be the "BEST" and yet his decisions have more then proven
he's just not up to the responsibility or he does have the B***s to act like an American President

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.

* No Offense to Any Dog's or Ponies

Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Why do you guys think Columbus avoided the ME when he sailed to find the New World? There is a reason for that.
Thank you for that Lilyflower. It's a nice antidote to all this testosterone. We may not be fair and balanced here but it is possible to play nice.

Last edited by EveryLady; 08-29-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies