Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 05:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Well somewhere along the way his ' FOCUS ' became misguided !

“I pledge allegiance” (I promise to be true)

“to the flag” (to the symbol of our country)

“of the United States of America” (each state that has joined to make our country)

“and to the Republic” (a republic is a country where the people choose others to make laws for them -- the government is “of, by and for” the people)

“for which it stands,” (the flag means the country)

“one nation” (a single country)

“under God,” (the people believe in a supreme being)

“indivisible,” (the country cannot be split into parts)

“with Liberty and Justice” (with freedom and fairness)

“for all.” (for each person in the country...you and me!)

The pledge says you are promising to be true to the United States of America !

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
Obama was never impressed with the Pledge.

Barack Obama rejects Pledge of Allegiance | Illegal Protest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
ISIS? Well, maybe and maybe not. But radical Islam is a threat for terror attacks in the US. Fighting ISIS is not going to do anything to halt the spread and fervor radical Islam. In fact, it will make it worse and thus increase the threat. Radical Islam must be defeated with ideas, with economic improvements and just muslims turning away from it. You can't bomb away ideologies. We seem to never learn that simple truth.
Our great Nation has a long history of not finishing what it started.
Take Afghanistan in the late 70s early 80s. The USA was determined to win the cold war, and while guys my age were being required for the first time in years to register for the draft, thinking in the backs of our minds about the upcoming war with the Soviets, our government was training Afghan Freedom Fighters in the proper use of American made weaponry.
After the Soviets were sent home to Moscow broken and with tears in their eyes, the US GOvernment said "Oh look Russia Lost. Ha Ha " and no more anything went to Afghanistan, allowing Bin Laden and others to mend a broken country on their own.

After we destroy ISIS, we need to get all the regional players, especially Turkey involved. We need to build schools, hospitals, and offer services which will improve the lifestyle and this may well help raise standards of living. By raising these standards peacefully, radical Islamists will not have such a easy time of convincing people to turn against those who are healing their sick and educating their kids.

Also, like it or not, after all the ISIS militants are dead and bloated in the desert sun, it may be necessary to maintain a peacekeeping force. I would prefer it be made of mostly Middle Eastern soldiers supplemented by UN or NATO forces. I would not want the North Koreans involved, but if they offer, It would be hypocritical to say no to them.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:44 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
the_human_being

The point of yesterday's news conference was that he would not accept any plan the military planners had offered him and advised him on.
To the_human_being,

A few minutes ago, I heard an NPR commentator refer to an ISIS atrocity that was beyond (for me, and certainly others') belief. Per a quick web check it may well have been incorrect information. About the fair and balanced stuff, I have not liked how FOX at times seemingly shapes the news and certainly have accepted that "left-wing" outlets do likewise.

But another news controversy (thankfully, not the subject of this thread) recently caught my attention. I found myself spending way too much time cross-checking various outlets to find (for myself) how even so-called mainstream sources present information geared to their target audiences, in part by presenting clipped versions of video appearances.

That's what drew my attention to this thread - I heard the entire press conference on the radio and did not at all take away from it what was seemingly spun by the Mark Levin guest host (I believe it was) - and, to be honest, other media outlets.

False or not, what I just heard on NPR is so sickening that as Americans - well, presumably most for I know other nationalities participate - we should be incredibly grateful that here any disagreement, even animosity is restricted to at worst verbal snipping. And that the poster I am addressing this to is an "human_being" (not some medieval monster).

Regards - just saw that someone is off to a wedding and I, too, have to get away from this. What is happening over there is too much for me … really horrible.
D

Last edited by EveryLady; 08-29-2014 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Still trying to fix the quote feature

Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Compare Pres. Obama to Pres. Reagan. When asked about his strategy regarding the cold war, Reagan replied, "we win, they lose."
This certainly says we won't be "leading from behind." Golf anyone!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:12 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
When Obama expands the bombing and troops in Iraq and starts bombing Syria, which of your groups will Obama fit into.

Get back to me when that happens.

I'm not saying it won't.

Quote:
I suppose you'll argue that the Pentagon and R's made him do it.
I'll argue that he shouldn't get us involved in any big way. The nations right there are much more at risk and don't seem to be all that excited about ISIS. I see it as much more a problem for them than for us.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Ukraine didn't actually own nuclear weapons. When the USSR fell apart, there were USSR nuclear weapons on Ukrainian territory. The Ukrainian government never had the codes and command system to use them. They basically just shipped the Russian stuff back to Russia, and the agreement just made everyone feel better.

However, the Memorandum was never any kind of mutual defense treaty. It was a promise from each the agreeing nations themselves not to interfer with Ukrainian sovereignty. It was not a plege from any state to defend Ukraine.

So Ukraine handed the Russians' weapons back to them on a promise from Russia that Russia would honor Ukraine's sovereinty.

The Russians lied. This should suprise no one. But Ukraine could not have credibly threatened a nuclear war anyway.
I certainly wasn't implying this ^. President Obama promised Putin he could help after the election, maybe this is the help Putin needed.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 PM

I've just now gotten caught up on the comments.

Since I said I was done (and dinner is now done), I'll restrain myself to providing a link that includes the longest clip of the press conference that I've seen (most are just about a minute or so). Sorry; I don't know how to link just the video.

‘We don’t have a strategy,’ Obama says after ISIS death march video surfaces - NY Daily News

This isn't to say that the press conference wasn't longer than this particular clip (although I heard it live, I can't now specifically recall). Folks can judge for themselves the context of "not having a strategy yet" and the context (raised by one reporter) of whether Obama is acting unilaterally.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:31 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
I think Obama is waiting for congress to return so he can put the question to them.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I don't believe that will make it into the "Greatest Quotations" book. Now the one where he admitted he had absolutely no experience other than in community organizing might be worth remembering.
Now you have me smiling … better than post-NPR listening, for sure.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debliah View Post
Thank you for that Lilyflower. It's a nice antidote to all this testosterone. We may not be fair and balanced here but it is possible to play nice.
Yeah ISIS beheading and killing children must be showing us their soft side. Sticking crosses into children's necks and burning their eyes out.....how does one play nice with this?

The Geneva Conventions they don't recognize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies