Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 08:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

If they don't break down in the environment then we probably shouldn't be producing them, right? Or do we WANT to go out of our way to create things that never ever go away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
We should go back to paper bags that will decompose or can be recycled.....made out of hemp instead of trees.

Problem solved.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Use cloth bags or paper bags. Only thing I used the plastic bags for, when I got them, is to clean my cats litter box.
I was just going to say this! I use them for dumping kitty litter too

Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

These plastic bags end up in geographic locations all around the world, these
are sensible changes. Sea life, in particular turtles end up being killed
because they ingest bags mistaking them for jelly fish. After a hurricane I
recall seeing a 300 ft. mesh fence with a plastic bag in every opening.

Hard to drive down a street without seeing bags floating around, seems like a
very easy solution to just bring a bag.

Some pictures that give you a
good idea of the extent of the pollution
There are righties here who applaud rolling coal and brag about burning tires and garbage in their yards.
You really think they give a crap about pollution? There's also a poster who kept saying that if marine creatures choke on plastic bags, it serves them right, for being so stupid. I'm not kidding.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I demand plastic. I carry extra ones in my car for fast food pick ups. Plus, I save them and use them to line waste baskets (because they have "handles" making it easier to empty the waste baskets. If I had to use paper bags, I couldn't carry more than one and I have mobility issues. Plus the crappy recycled paper ones always rip (are you hearing me Panera Bread and McDonalds?).

People who want to use paper bags have never used a walker or lived up a flight of stairs or two. If you think we should make more trips to the supermarket then we're polluting the air.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These plastic bags end up in geographic locations all around the world, these are sensible changes. Sea life, in particular turtles end up being killed because they ingest bags mistaking them for jelly fish. After a hurricane I recall seeing a 300 ft. mesh fence with a plastic bag in every opening.

Hard to drive down a street without seeing bags floating around, seems like a very easy solution to just bring a bag.

Some pictures that give you a good idea of the extent of the pollution.

https://www.google.com/search?q=plas...ml%3B320%3B213
How do you know what a turtle mistakes a bag for? Have you asked one? Just kidding, but we were told in the beginning that these bags were "biodegradable" and would not hurt the environment. Guess that was a lie.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The Nixon administration started the EPA, but these people have no sense of history or understanding of reality.
True. But I don't think Nixon ever intended it to become the oppressive behemoth that it has become, infringing on liberty to the extent that it does today. It is totally out of control.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:15 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
How do you know what a turtle mistakes a bag for? Have you asked one? Just kidding, but we were told in the beginning that these bags were "biodegradable" and would not hurt the environment. Guess that was a lie.
Who told you that and why did you believe it?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:44 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I demand plastic. I carry extra ones in my car for fast food pick ups. Plus, I save them and use them to line waste baskets (because they have "handles" making it easier to empty the waste baskets. If I had to use paper bags, I couldn't carry more than one and I have mobility issues. Plus the crappy recycled paper ones always rip (are you hearing me Panera Bread and McDonalds?).

People who want to use paper bags have never used a walker or lived up a flight of stairs or two. If you think we should make more trips to the supermarket then we're polluting the air.
Yes I remember I used a crappy reusable bag, and I had 4 rolls of quarters that were in the bottom of my shopping cart going home, and they rolled out into the street and there went $40 all because of a crappy reusable shopping bag that the store gave me, which had a big hole in it that i was not aware of.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"The California state legislature enacted a ban on plastic grocery bags on Friday near the end of its two-year session, a measure that if signed into law would become the first of its kind in America.

The measure would ban grocery stores from handing out single-use grocery bags with customers’ purchases, and provide money to local plastic bag companies to retool to make heavier, multiple-use bags that customers could buy."

California passes plastic bag ban, would be first such law in U.S.

Good for California. I hope other states follow suit. Those single use bags make up a significant portion of the litter along the roadways. More than 10 billion of these bags are used in California alone every year. Multiply that by 50 states and the resulting amount of un-recyclable litter they create is a massive problem.

I've been using cloth bags at the grocery store for 10 years now. I don't see the problem with this.
I can't claim I have been using cloth 10 years, but I have been using them for about 5. Sometimes I forget, but am getting better all the time. The problem is, the stores still provide plastic for produce, etc. I would be happier if they would find a better way. When I was growing up, way before any of your were born, the stores used nothing but paper bags.

One of our local stores gives up 5 cents off for each cloth bag we use and Aldi's charges for bags. it is a small thing, but certainly is an incentive or at least makes us more aware of the litter created when depending on plastic too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies