Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 01:13 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I've been using cloth bags at the grocery store for 10 years now. I don't see the problem with this.
Translation:

"*I* do it this way, which is the ONLY way that isn't bad, therefore I want the government to use the threat of violence to force everyone else to make the same 'choice' that I did."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Good. I learned to stop using plastic bags when I lived in Europe.

What's taking us so long?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Single-use cloth bags? What's that? Why would you only use them once?
Furthermore, there's a new invention out there, called soap and water. Perhaps you've heard of it?
You may be on the trail to the root of the problem.......

Old 09-02-2014, 01:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good. I learned to stop using plastic bags when I lived in Europe.

What's taking us so long?
Freedom. Every time a nanny state law is passed, we lose some of it. Unlike our European friends, most Americans aren't willing to trade our freedom for some cause-du-jour political feel-good nonsense.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:03 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Some of us are doing what we can to preserve the planet for future generations. Others are doing everything they can to loot, destroy and exploit the planet for their own gain, convenience and exploitation. They consider that those who amass and rule over the highest mountain is the winner. Unfortunately, that mountain they amass is composed of garbage.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Translation:

"*I* do it this way, which is the ONLY way that isn't bad, therefore I want the government to use the threat of violence to force everyone else to make the same 'choice' that I did."
I hope you don't translate for a living, because you are really pretty bad at it. Let me help you out with a more accurate translation:

It's not difficult to take cloth bags into a store, hand them to the bagger, and let them bag your groceries.

There, see how easy that was?

Now what is this violence you speak of?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Freedom. Every time a nanny state law is passed, we lose some of it. Unlike our European friends, most Americans aren't willing to trade our freedom for some cause-du-jour political feel-good nonsense.
Really? Do you still dump oil in the street drain?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:04 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Single-use cloth bags? What's that? Why would you only use them once?
Furthermore, there's a new invention out there, called soap and water. Perhaps you've heard of it?
I meant single use, as in only being used to haul groceries, not disposable bags.

Yes I've heard of soap, so don't be stupid. I've also heard that bathrooms have soap, water and towels, and yet people leave store restrooms without washing their hands. Unless the cloth bags look dirty, a lot of people won't be washing their bags after each trip to the store, so they will be breeding bacteria, with the great potential for making people sick.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Americans aren't willing to trade our freedom for some cause-du-jour political feel-good nonsense.
It's not feel good nonsense, genius, it's about hard cash. In most built up urban areas it can cost ~$200 million plus to open a new landfill so just about all of the cities are trying to recycle as much as they can because it diverts stuff from the landfill and thus extends the life of the landfill. That means rate payers don't have to pay that $200+ million quite as often. THAT is what it is about, money.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Translation:

Threat of violence? What threat of violence? Only a right winger would equate paying a nickel for a plastic bag with violence.
Perhaps you meant jack-booted thugs lying in wait outside the supermarket, just itching to beat you up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies